GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The wind is always what makes it worse.
Just shovelled half a block of sidewalks and driveways so people don't have to come home from work and not even be able to get into garage. Wet snow drifts 4 feet high in places and the snow just sticks to your shovel. The absolute worst kind of snow. The kind of snow that is just hard pack and doesn't want to budge. No pushing this stuff, every bit is shovel, lift, throw. Got my exercise, now to kick back and watch some sports. See some other people sweat, lol.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe I'm missing something, but it's only -6. Or can professional soccer not be played in snow?

Can absolutely be played in snow.

I mean, they play games in Argentina and Africa at 40+ degC... no reason -6degC should be a game breaker.

The school children are wearing shorts and T-shirts today.

Reactions: oilers'72

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Just shovelled half a block of sidewalks and driveways so people don't have to come home from work and not even be able to get into garage. Wet snow drifts 4 feet high in places and the snow just sticks to your shovel. The absolute worst kind of snow. The kind of snow that is just hard pack and doesn't want to budge. No pushing this stuff, every bit is shovel, lift, throw. Got my exercise, now to kick back and watch some sports. See some other people sweat, lol.
Yeah, I just got in from doing this too, and am pretty wiped, LOL. This shit is heavy, especially the drifts. Had to wedge some blocks out and break them into smaller bits just to lift them.

I feel bad for whoever has to clear the snow off the tarp at Commonwealth before the game, lol.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
CMNT playing here tonight in front of 50,000 people:

upload_2021-11-16_15-12-3.png

Elks and Argos playing here tonight in front of maybe 5000 people:

upload_2021-11-16_15-13-47.png

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
What potential upgrades to Commonwealth would a 2026 hosting gig bring beyond the natural grass surface?

A/V overhaul? Concourse renovations? Other cosmetic improvements?

I guess it depends on the provincial investment but it would be great to see Commonwealth get a partial roof if it's feasible but I assume the cost would be extraordinary and the possibility of that is slim to none. Not sure if the engineering is viable to be honest. But I think that it would be the perfect excuse to go all in to really futureproof the viability of the stadium and make it even more desirable for world class events.

The last time the stadium got touched up was in the early 2010's, right?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not enough stadium acts exist to warrant a roof for a stadium. Hardly any events occur as it is and there wouldn't be many more. All Concerts tend to be rain or shine and you don't get Stadium level tours through North America much in winter time. Or in Canada anytime..

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
CMNT playing here tonight in front of 50,000 people:

View attachment 480773

Elks and Argos playing here tonight in front of maybe 5000 people:

View attachment 480775

I prefer it this way.

Show the world some Canada. Generally speaking, I think most of the world is intrigued and loves it too. I think only really Mexico is salty about it, but that's because they're mad someone else using their home field advantage tricks against em.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I prefer it this way.

Show the world some Canada. Generally speaking, I think most of the world is intrigued and loves it too. I think only really Mexico is salty about it, but that's because they're mad someone else using their home field advantage tricks against em.

I have no idea how points and standing and all that works, does either team absolutely need to win this?

What if mexico just wasted time and played for the draw?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I have no idea how points and standing and all that works, does either team absolutely need to win this?

What if mexico just wasted time and played for the draw?

I think if we win we have chance to take 1st in qualifier and clinch spot in world cup.

If we draw we probably pretty safe to make world cup.

If we lose is hairy, might have to play inter-confederation playoff for final 2 spots.

Looks like Mexico playing for a draw. Interesting, betting sites starting to give Canada favorable odds. Haha.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
;)
Good on ya man not gonna lie wish you lived on my block though ;)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I think if we win we have chance to take 1st in qualifier and clinch spot in world cup.

If we draw we probably pretty safe to make world cup.

If we lose is hairy, might have to play inter-confederation playoff for final 2 spots.

Looks like Mexico playing for a draw. Interesting, betting sites starting to give Canada favorable odds. Haha.

There's still too many games left (6) to put anyone in the WC. Wait until March 24th, 27th and 30th and then things will take shape.

Reactions: iCanada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad