Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canadian team gonna be booed the rest of the tournament so we should start relishing in it lol

They actually weren't booed in the group matches. They were cheered coming on to the pitch.

Either:
(a) A lot of spectators actually don't know about it.

(b) They don't care.

(c) They know it wasn't the players who were spying.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
They won bronze in the previous two Olympics, one in which they should have taken down USA in the semifinals if not for garbage officiating. They've been pretty good for a long time.
did you read what i wrote? that doesn't contradict anything i said. those two bronzes were in 2012 and 2016. they were a top team throughout that period (as i said, 'the mid 2010s'). that period is what i am referring to when i say 'they haven't been top since then.'

the 2021 olympic gold was the last gasp (and a grinding last gasp) of a team that was pretty evidently on the decline, and a team that other countries were catching up to. we were not good at WC2019, and we were terrible at the WC last year.

unless we have different definitions of "top team", i think most people who pay decently close attention to women's football would've told you prior to this tournament that they were not a top team. they look like a top team again now! but they have not for the last 5 years, olympic gold in 2021 notwithstanding.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
unless we have different definitions of "top team", i think most people who pay decently close attention to women's football would've told you prior to this tournament that they were not a top team. they look like a top team again now! but they have not for the last 5 years, olympic gold in 2021 notwithstanding.

Like top 5?

I think we're fairly safely in that top 10.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Like top 5?

I think we're fairly safely in that top 10.
pre-tournament i would've said we're definitely not top 5, and that i think we're in a cluster hovering around #10. i wouldn't necessarily say safely. there are teams below us in the fifa ranking right now that i would've said comfortably pre-tournament are better than us (australia and the netherlands chief among them).

but they've definitely been cooking this tournament! so we'll see if that momentum keeps up.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
pre-tournament i would've said we're definitely not top 5, and that i think we're in a cluster hovering around #10. there are teams below us in the fifa ranking right now that i would've said comfortably pre-tournament are better than us (australia and the netherlands chief among them).

but they've definitely been cooking this tournament! so we'll see if that momentum keeps up.

I meant, you generally refer to a "top team" as a "top 5" team.

Wee Baby Seamus said:
there are teams below us in the fifa ranking right now that i would've said comfortably pre-tournament are better than us (australia and the netherlands chief among them).

We're a good tournament team for the most part.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
f*** Rick Westhead
f*** the IOC

Both of their biggest nightmares have just come true - despite all odds, Canada is moving on.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This is the dumbest post in this thread. Congratulations.

I'd say f*** John Herdman and f*** Bev Priestman. The ones in charge supporting the actual cheating.

Special **** you to the opportunists that have spent years capitalizing off the success of the Canadian players on the pitch while rotting the core of the organization.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Ad

Ad

Ad