Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
Wish I could have watched this, shame they went back to One Soccer after the hype and success of Copa.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This team needs to learn to play with a lead late in a match. No need to have so many forward. Same thing against Uruguay.

Got lucky there.

Like why is Bombito going forward with a couple minutes left with a 1 goal lead??

Reactions: al secord

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Jesse Marsch rn:
20240427_203140.jpg

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I could not access this board for a few hours... not sure why.

That first half was outrageous.. 11 to 1 goal attempts.

Ahmed keeps making the Whitecaps look foolish.. what a player he is. Is he as fast as Richie and taj? No... he's relentless, can run for days and is better with the ball than all other right sides options. Taj is faster and can shoot better but Ahmed is a wonderful option for this team. Could sub at RB or CM if needed.

Choiniere... makes one wonder how Piette was ever, and I mean ever... in this team ahead of him, Thank you Jesse for getting that done.

USA got momentum from their bench. De Le Torre and Morris really came in ready to go.

This game will have taken plenty out of us... so we will see what Jesse decides for Tuesday. I'm pretty damn pumped. We were sharp 1 through 11 to start.. really ready. Probably should leave there with 3 goals.

We need a set piece coach.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
How strong a lineup did the Americans provide in opposition today?
It was not their best but do they know what their best even is?

Antonee Robinson was the big miss at Left Back. If you like Weston McKennie you can count him. Gio Reyna but he will be injured more than healthy for his whole career.

Seemed to me the rest were there.

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It was not their best but do they know what their best even is?

Antonee Robinson was the big miss at Left Back. If you like Weston McKennie you can count him. Gio Reyna but he will be injured more than healthy for his whole career.

Seemed to me the rest were there.
I am so far behind everything except for our own players on the NT. I used to have a much better handle on this all. Thank you.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Badwal on the bench tonight for Vancouver for those of you checking on our U20 grads.

I am so far behind everything except for our own players on the NT. I used to have a much better handle on this all. Thank you.
To put it in better perspective since you haven't been following much lately, 7 of their starters today, started the final of the Nations League against us... so a well seasoned team even though it's young.

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sigur probably plays against Mexico.

Midfield is finally shaping up decently.

They could still use an actual attacking midfielder, someone that can unlock defenses with great passing.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Sigur probably plays against Mexico.

Midfield is finally shaping up decently.

They could still use an actual attacking midfielder, someone that can unlock defenses with great passing.
Well it will be interesting to see how Sigur is deployed. I am hoping for a bench appearance Tuesday. Osorio will likely get a start with Eustaquio. I would love to see Sigur be a player that will sit in front of the D when we have a lead... once again we got caught on a transition with the mids up the field and Davies was well up the field. Pure desperation recovery and a great save from Creps kept it from being a 2-2 tie. Waterman is not capable of covering more than one gap so you need a mid that will provide that cover.

We don't have a Pirlo but Choiniere showed he can move the ball around and has pretty good passing range on switches. Ahmed showing his combo play on the right side. Millar is a guy that provides combo play on the left which is much different to Shaff's very direct style.

Kone is always a miss given his ability to turn off players and run at goal. We are getting more and more options available to us as new players come in and those we have, get better.

Apparently Saliba is a 6 as well so I will need to watch more Montreal to see how he develops.

Reactions: Cloned

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I was hoping that Kone could be that guy consistently. When he's on, he can be that guy.

When you're a threat to run, go 1v1 or pass, you can keep defences guessing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I forgot about this friendly, but looking through this thread it is an example of how the fan mindset has changed.

A victory against the US on US soil, and it's pretty ho-hum. I feel the same way because I remember getting the draw in the US during wcq a couple years ago and that felt like a milestone to me. Now, you almost expect that result.

I saw marsch calling out the US as well. He's basically implying that Canada plays for each other and lays it on the line, and that the US does not. Pretty strong words.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I can't believe how quickly defense has gone from being a huge weakness to quite the strength. We'll still struggle with depth, but the 4 starters we rolled out on Saturday are collectively the best in the region.

As for Tuesday, we seemed spent at the end of the US game. Quite a few niggly injuries probably due to laying it all out there in that heat. We should probably give the nod to our young guys and not worry so much about the result against Mexico.

Reactions: Pink Mist and Tuggy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I can't believe how quickly defense has gone from being a huge weakness to quite the strength. We'll still struggle with depth, but the 4 starters we rolled out on Saturday are collectively the best in the region.

As for Tuesday, we seemed spent at the end of the US game. Quite a few niggly injuries probably due to laying it all out there in that heat. We should probably give the nod to our young guys and not worry so much about the result against Mexico.
I would agree on all fronts.

This Mexican team is a team in transition as well so a good chance to give guys a shot. They played a 4-2-3-1 against a pretty weak New Zealand team.

Reactions: al secord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad