Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Westhead, Madani, Seixero have been throwing gas on the fire to drive clicks but when the dust settles, all that will have happened is having contributed to being yet another obstacle for the success of soccer in this country. This is truly a nothing story for anyone but New Zealand.

Yeah, the truth can be inconvenient at times.

This line of argument reminds me of the Ben Johnson apologists.

"See! Everyone in the race ended up getting caught for cheating!"

Yes, including our guy, Ben Johnson, who was also a cheater.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, the truth can be inconvenient at times.

This line of argument reminds me of the Ben Johnson apologists.

"See! Everyone in the race ended up getting caught for cheating!"

Yes, including our guy, Ben Johnson, who was also a cheater.
I think it is a valid comment about this country though that we have a long history of condoning cheating as long as no one notices, but the minute someone is caught the organizations ruthlessly throw them under the bus for it.

Canadian sport organizations aren't uncomfortable with cheating, they are uncomfortable with the public spotlight on cheating.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it is a valid comment about this country though that we have a long history of condoning cheating as long as no one notices, but the minute someone is caught the organizations ruthlessly throw them under the bus for it.

What's the alternative?

"Oh well, if you 'aint cheating you 'aint trying!"

We are a country that likes to pretend like we're above this kind of thing and then when it happens, we look hilariously stupid.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What's the alternative?

"Oh well, if you 'aint cheating you 'aint trying!"

We are a country that likes to pretend like we're above this kind of thing and then when it happens, we look hilariously stupid.
Either fix the culture of the organizations to have zero tolerance for this at all times, you know actual integrity, or embrace that this is an organizational culture and stop blaming the individuals for following what is sanctioned.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Either fix the culture of the organizations to have zero tolerance for this at all times, you know actual integrity, or embrace that this is an organizational culture and stop blaming the individuals for following what is sanctioned.

I mean, isn't this precisely what just happened with Hockey Canada?

We're still in the early stages of this thing.

Whether or not it was sanctioned, there's nothing ambiguous about a "closed session". I'm not sure what they thought would happen when inevitably, eventually, they get caught publicly.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Westhead, Madani, Seixero have been throwing gas on the fire to drive clicks but when the dust settles, all that will have happened is having contributed to being yet another obstacle for the success of soccer in this country. This is truly a nothing story for anyone but New Zealand.
Westhead is simply telling the story, nothing more.

It's also a bigger issue then NZ, it's been reported it's been going on for years. What would you suggest a guy like Rick does? Sit on the info and not report it?

Sid sure, his takes are usually just for clicks.

This:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad