Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Honestly don't get why the Serie A leaders would sign him. Yeah he is still kinda young, he is fast, dynamic, there is still some potential.. but he has basically made no progress at all at Brugge.
IMO his football IQ is too low. He passes when he should shoot, he shoots when he should pass. His cross rarely reach their destination. He gets lost in discussions with opponents and refs, if he suffers a couple of fouls he gets upset very quickly. He rarely seems to enjoy playing and he has never been consistent for more than a couple of weeks. He didn't have good stats as a winger so since last season he has been playing rightback even though he lacks the defensive instincts for that.
I think a new start for him in a better team is a good thing and for Inter at €10M this is probably a low risk high reward kinda thing, I'm just extremely skeptical if that reward will ever arrive, I would not be shocked for a second if in two years he is back in the MLS or something.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Honestly don't get why the Serie A leaders would sign him. Yeah he is still kinda young, he is fast, dynamic, there is still some potential.. but he has basically made no progress at all at Brugge.
IMO his football IQ is too low. He passes when he should shoot, he shoots when he should pass. His cross rarely reach their destination. He gets lost in discussions with opponents and refs, if he suffers a couple of fouls he gets upset very quickly. He rarely seems to enjoy playing and he has never been consistent for more than a couple of weeks. He didn't have good stats as a winger so since last season he has been playing rightback even though he lacks the defensive instincts for that.
I think a new start for him in a better team is a good thing and for Inter at €10M this is probably a low risk high reward kinda thing, I'm just extremely skeptical if that reward will ever arrive, I would not be shocked for a second if in two years he is back in the MLS or something.
I've only seen him play for the national team, but his numbers at Brugge don't make it seem he's outgrown the league/team, far from it actually. It is true that Inter need a backup at right wingback, and it's where he's been playing recently, but we're talking about a 24 year old, not sure how much room there is to grow anymore.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
No, neither his numbers nor his play on the field show he has exceeded the Belgian league.
Still it wouldn't be unprecedented to see a player be average in a lesser league and then suddenly shine in a better league. Case in point: Joshua Zirkzee who was meh at Anderlecht and is now doing great in Bologna. Tajon has to believe this scenario is possible for him as well (albeit he will be a backup for Inter)
But Inter should be cautious not to expect a new Perisic (who also started at Club Brugge).
But the mental part worries me and he gets wound up too easily and I can imagine Italians are way better at getting under your skin than Belgians so thats gonna be another challenge for him

Reactions: luiginb

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Wtf was that video...seems a little over the top :laugh:

Looks like Crepeau will join his fellow Canadians in Portland. Pantemis also signed there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seriously. We are f***ing broke.
It's funny because after Herdman left there were reports that Canada Soccer was going to come to the table with "serious offers".... Obviously I wasn't expecting someone with an Ancelotti level profile, that kind of thing was never going to happen..... Cone on though, we cannot even get someone like Bobby Smyrniotis from Forge? He would surely be a better choice than Biello...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad