Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's a part of the reason.

This program was used to make a select few individuals rich through shady business dealings. Now the association is pretty much bankrupt. They cannot afford to host friendlies nor can they really invest in their program. They probably cannot even invest in a subpar manager at this point.

Good ol crony corruption.

It's really only going to go downhill.

This is the main problem right here. With the contract Canadian Soccer made with “Soccer Business”, all profits go to private individuals who own “Soccer Business”.

Yes, Canadian Soccer is basically bankrupt, no money for friendlies, practise, hirings… nothing. Sadly, Canadian Soccer will see dark days until this contract runs out.

There really needs to be a proper investigation Into this, as it’s probable that there is extensive corruption and profiteering, at the expense of the sport’s future in Canada.

When we can’t afford to play games, practise enough, or make proper staff hirings, we really shouldn’t expected success.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Horrible result.

Still have a playoff for the Copa.

2024 Copa América qualifying play-offs - Wikipedia

Obviously would have been much better to win last night and qualify directly but Canada drew Trinidad and Tobago in the playoff. Honduras/Costa Rica in the other.

One game playoff that takes place March 23, 2024 in Texas (happening the same time as the Nations League SF/F in Texas aswell).

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Whoa this is actually good news as it would force them to play a set of games in that window.

This nation has not seen a friendly on Canadian soil since 2017! We know there's zero funds right now to even arrange friendly matchups on domestic territory. So you are probably only really looking at 2 matchups in that window instead of 4. Even if they were to host friendlies...who would they have played against? Curacao? Bahrain? Barbados?

Take the guaranteed matchups (4) for that period. This squad needs all the games it can get.

Reactions: Pink Mist and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Whoa this is actually good news as it would force them to play a set of games in that window.

This nation has not seen a friendly on Canadian soil since 2017! We know there's zero funds right now to even arrange friendly matchups on domestic territory. So you are probably only really looking at 2 matchups in that window instead of 4. Even if they were to host friendlies...who would they have played against? Curacao? Bahrain? Barbados?

Take the guaranteed matchups (4) for that period. This squad needs all the games it can get.

Agreed.

They have no choice but to play :laugh:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

The guarantee of games is nice, although I worry about having to go and play 2 away games on terrible fields across CONCACAF. Injuries are up, it's random chaotic football.

I'd much rather go play Japan or some other middle to upper tier countries.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
A date with Messi on the other side of this? Please go and win in Texas this March.

I would give everything to see that guy play live. Missed Argentina last year in Qatar.

Reactions: Tuggy

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It would be the opening match of the tournament aswell.

Would be fun to play some new teams.
The new teams part of it is huge. 3 competitive matches is also an amazing add to the schedule. Things have felt anti-climatic since the qualifying cycle and trip to Qatar.

Reactions: Tuggy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The highest of highs to the lowest of lows. I feel for the man.

Saying the players pivoted from "we" to "me" in June of '22 was pretty sobering too.
I think most of us here were feeling that we to me... It took some of the joy out of the journey and then the WC itself... that hangover still hasn't subsided.

Reactions: al secord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad