Calvin Pickard signed for 2 years, 1 mil avg per year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I feel every year at this time some posters need a refresher on what a 1-way and 2-way contract are and what they mean. The yelling at clouds over 1-way/2-way deals (when you don't even understand them) gets a little tiring.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I feel every year at this time some posters need a refresher on what a 1-way and 2-way contract are and what they mean. The yelling at clouds over 1-way/2-way deals (when you don't even understand them) gets a little tiring.
It's a good deal for the Oilers.

Instead of going out to the thinly traded (distorted) free agent market and signing someone that you really don't know as a player, you stay close to home and sign a guy that has played well when called upon. Plus he's well liked in the dressing room and you get him at league minimum. Good solid common sense move.

Now let's see if the club decides to stick with Campbell's contract for another year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Fyi, two way and 1 way have nothing to do with being able to waive or being able to bury cap hit. 1 way just means he gets that nhl pay no matter what. Otherwise when he is in the minors hed instead get paid the minor league salary which is less than the nhl league minimum and only get prorated nhl salary when he is up pn the team. Slightly more than 1 mil can be buried(its the nhl league minimum+ 325k that is amout that cam be buried from a player in minor league) and that cap hit is buried whether its 1 way or 2 way. Thw only thing the 1way effects in that instance is the actual money being paid. Not the cap hit
Obviously, what is the point of this post?

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
He was a regular rotation backup this past season. $1m isn’t an overpay for that.
I concede to this. My point is he hasn't been a regular backup for 8 years prior to this one. I don't see him as anything but a inbetweener and I'm bitter that it means same goaltending tandem that arguably cost us a cup.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I concede to this. My point is he hasn't been a regular backup for 8 years prior to this one. I don't see him as anything but a inbetweener and I'm bitter that it means same goaltending tandem that arguably cost us a cup.
I think that’s fair. I also don’t think our goaltending is good enough. Just need to hope on continued development of Skinner into a more consistent goalie I think.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Beside this year, last time he posted an above 900 save % in the NHL was 8 years ago.
Who else is bidding on him and offering a 2 year one-way?
But on this team this year he DID post a +900 save percentage. You cant compare his seasons 9 years ago to what he did recently. Like it’s been stated, good signing for a career back up.

Reactions: nabob

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think it's a bit of an overpay for a career inbetweener.
The one-way deal with a second year term is the real reward here, think we overpaid by about $200k per year. That could have been better spent for a cap strapped team.
Holland is gone, but man this looks like the Derek Ryan contract.
He was solid when we needed him and when he played in the playoffs he was solid as well. I’m ok with the signing

I did offer myself to the oilers for cheaper, but they said no. Such as life.

I think I did myself in when I said, “I will only goaltend… not doing sexual favors”.

Probably would have had better luck in Chicago with that comment I guess

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I changed my mind. Tyler Yaremchuk, the genius savant of Edmonton hockey media said this is an overpay. Bad bad deal!!:sarcasm:

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I changed my mind. Tyler Yaremchuk, the genius savant of Edmonton hockey media said this is an overpay. Bad bad deal!!:sarcasm:
That's hilarious, 1 mil for a solid backup who's a great team guy and clearly good for Skinner....definitely Tyler knows a thing or two about overpays! 🙄

Reactions: Oilhawks

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I don't think the separation between Pick and Skinner is very big. Skinner is bigger and younger but Pickard is just as athletic and hasn't shown the propensity to completely lose his mind and singlehandedly lose games like Skinner has. Rodrigue looks like a serious prospect - would like to see him get some games this coming season. Don't think I'll ever be truly confident in Skinner after he nearly lost the VAN series, but - to his credit - he did get his shit together and played great down the stretch.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
He has a sub .900 sv% the last 2 seasons and actually has a lower career sv% than pickard. Not that pickard will repeat but he actually played well behidn pilers last year. Why bet on the guy who didnt play well last season instead?
Not sure if serious.
Kahkonen played behind a team with a combined 41 wins and a -237 goal differential over the last 2 years. Might have something to do with it. Gets traded to Devils and posts a .923 sv%.
But if you are only in for sv%, Reimer signed for 800k.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not sure if serious.
Kahkonen played behind a team with a combined 41 wins and a -237 goal differential over the last 2 years. Might have something to do with it. Gets traded to Devils and posts a .923 sv%.
Reimer is worse than Pickard and generally sucks, where as Pickard is really well liked.

This is definitely going to be a you need to get over this kinda thing. He's making nearly the minimum and the team trusts him as a back-up. No reason to "over think" this.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Not to mention crying about term for players that have 100% buryable contracts.

Only person that should care about that is the owner, but fans seem to think it matters for reasons I don't understand. Whining for the sake of whining. I think that Oilers management has been so bad for so long that some are just conditioned to look at absolutely everything as glass half empty.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Not sure if serious.
Keep in mind that devils sv% is a grand total of 5 games plus 1 game where he got pulled 8 minutes in(im guessing injury) not exactly a significant sample size. Im surenthe team didnt help. He was better with the wild but nothing special. Id take the chance on the goalie who worked with the team over one who put bad stats up for 2 years even if it was a bad team.

Kappo could be better but nkt every goalie works with every system. Pickard showed he is fine in front of edmontons team.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Keep in mind that devils sv% is a grand total of 5 games plus 1 game where he got pulled 8 minutes in(im guessing injury) not exactly a significant sample size. Im surenthe team didnt help. He was better with the wild but nothing special. Id take the chance on the goalie who worked with the team over one who put bad stats up for 2 years even if it was a bad team.

Kappo could be better but nkt every goalie works with every system. Pickard showed he is fine in front of edmontons team.
Pickard has played 56 NHL games in the last 6 years. Averaging a little more than 9 games a year. Talking about small sample size. What part about him screams high end back up? 3rd string...yes.

General consensus on the Oilers' weakest link are Nurse, Ceci, and Skinner.
Nurse's contract is untradable, he's out.
Sounds like they are working on upgrading Ceci...wait and see.
For all of his Jekyll and Hyde routine, Skinner's cost is low enough that you can't replace him at that cap number. So why not improve the backup at a relatively low cost instead of staying with the same dual that cost games last year? Get someone who can push Skinner for that #1 when he goes full Hyde. Pickard can buy time, but not push.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure if serious.
Pickard also exclusively played on terrible teams during his stretch in the NHL of bad numbers fwiw.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad