Calvin Pickard signed for 2 years, 1 mil avg per year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I feel every year at this time some posters need a refresher on what a 1-way and 2-way contract are and what they mean. The yelling at clouds over 1-way/2-way deals (when you don't even understand them) gets a little tiring.
It's a good deal for the Oilers.

Instead of going out to the thinly traded (distorted) free agent market and signing someone that you really don't know as a player, you stay close to home and sign a guy that has played well when called upon. Plus he's well liked in the dressing room and you get him at league minimum. Good solid common sense move.

Now let's see if the club decides to stick with Campbell's contract for another year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Fyi, two way and 1 way have nothing to do with being able to waive or being able to bury cap hit. 1 way just means he gets that nhl pay no matter what. Otherwise when he is in the minors hed instead get paid the minor league salary which is less than the nhl league minimum and only get prorated nhl salary when he is up pn the team. Slightly more than 1 mil can be buried(its the nhl league minimum+ 325k that is amout that cam be buried from a player in minor league) and that cap hit is buried whether its 1 way or 2 way. Thw only thing the 1way effects in that instance is the actual money being paid. Not the cap hit
Obviously, what is the point of this post?

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
He was a regular rotation backup this past season. $1m isn’t an overpay for that.
I concede to this. My point is he hasn't been a regular backup for 8 years prior to this one. I don't see him as anything but a inbetweener and I'm bitter that it means same goaltending tandem that arguably cost us a cup.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I concede to this. My point is he hasn't been a regular backup for 8 years prior to this one. I don't see him as anything but a inbetweener and I'm bitter that it means same goaltending tandem that arguably cost us a cup.
I think that’s fair. I also don’t think our goaltending is good enough. Just need to hope on continued development of Skinner into a more consistent goalie I think.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Beside this year, last time he posted an above 900 save % in the NHL was 8 years ago.
Who else is bidding on him and offering a 2 year one-way?
But on this team this year he DID post a +900 save percentage. You cant compare his seasons 9 years ago to what he did recently. Like it’s been stated, good signing for a career back up.

Reactions: nabob

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think it's a bit of an overpay for a career inbetweener.
The one-way deal with a second year term is the real reward here, think we overpaid by about $200k per year. That could have been better spent for a cap strapped team.
Holland is gone, but man this looks like the Derek Ryan contract.
He was solid when we needed him and when he played in the playoffs he was solid as well. I’m ok with the signing

I did offer myself to the oilers for cheaper, but they said no. Such as life.

I think I did myself in when I said, “I will only goaltend… not doing sexual favors”.

Probably would have had better luck in Chicago with that comment I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad