Calgary Flames quietly leading the NHL in preseason standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just to play along, nothing kills a team the way a distraction does. It can be a cancer. The looming exits of Hanifin, Lindholm and Zadorov were that distraction. They lost a lot of talent but might play more freely and focused.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, while I don't see them making the playoffs, I can see them within striking distance. Hot goalie down the stretch, then maybe they sneak in. If the boys buy in they will be a royal pain to play against. It's an intriguing lineup. Can't wait to see how they do.
I can’t see Calgary being remotely close to a wild card this season. I don’t get the love that many are seeing. Combination of hopefuls and washed vets at this point. Out of the playoffs by November 30.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They're gonna be a handful this year, as the majority of the teams are for the majority of the season, but even if they improve by 10 points, they are still not a playoff team.
Likely in the 85 point range again. They need to play trap hockey all year, and for Dustin Wolf to stand on his head, to have any chance.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
faceofhorror.org
My prediction is Calgary is a bottom 5 team. Kadri will be traded in the next 2 years with 2-3 million retained to make his contract barely digestible. Huberdeau will be a flame for a long while unless they retain 50 percent of his contract and so I'm guessing he retires a flame or gets bought out.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can’t see Calgary being remotely close to a wild card this season. I don’t get the love that many are seeing. Combination of hopefuls and washed vets at this point. Out of the playoffs by November 30.
I agree with you about not being remotely close to a wild card spot. However, washed vets? That's ironic coming from a fan of a team that has 15 veteran players that are 30 years and older ... four players that are 30, three that are 31, three that are 32, one 33 year old, two more that are 34, and of course.. the piece de resistance ... one 37 year old man and one senior citizen 39 year old. Then of course, there's the embarrassing dearth of hopefuls on your team or even in the system... maybe one or two? Three if you squint?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
My prediction is Calgary is a bottom 5 team. Kadri will be traded in the next 2 years with 2-3 million retained to make his contract barely digestible. Huberdeau will be a flame for a long while unless they retain 50 percent of his contract and so I'm guessing he retires a flame or gets bought out.
Kadri is solid value at his current contract. Also a great mentor. Why would the Flames trade him for negative value?

Huberdeau...
Not so much.

I agree that Calgary likely sucks this year. Markstrom held them in a lot of games last year.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't look closely at preseason standings but it sounds like Calgary was really good.. and Edmonton was really bad. We should revisit this thread at the end of the season to see how it ends

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I agree with you about not being remotely close to a wild card spot. However, washed vets? That's ironic coming from a fan of a team that has 15 veteran players that are 30 years and older ... four players that are 30, three that are 31, three that are 32, one 33 year old, two more that are 34, and of course.. the piece de resistance ... one 37 year old man and one senior citizen 39 year old. Then of course, there's the embarrassing dearth of hopefuls on your team or even in the system... maybe one or two? Three if you squint?
It’s all about quality. Some orgs have it, some don’t.

:)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't know about "worst roster". There's a good chance that Mtl finishes behind Calgary.
I doubt it honestly, Calgary has lost several big pieces since the start of last season and I think they'll have a tough year. Have not expected any major jump by Montreal but feel that they'll leapfrog Calgary and Philly and think Chicago and CBJ could leap Calgary as well

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Ditto San Jose and probably Chicago. Calgary's going to be bad, but they're not lottery winning bad.
They finished 5 points up on the Habs and from last year have swapped Zadorov, Hanifin, Tanev, Lindholm, Mangiapane and Markstrom for Bahl, Bean, Miromanov/Barrie, Kuzmenko, Mantha, Wolf. I think there's going to be a lot of pain and expect them to be firmly bottom 3 with Anaheim and SJ. Chicago I think added some good vets and will climb above them and possibly CBJ as well, I really don't expect them to be a doormat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad