GDT: Calgary Flames at Los Angeles Kings - January 19, 2015 - 7:30 p.m. (PST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ron*

The TSN panel all unanimously agreed last night that Chicago is the team to beat in the playoffs. You gotta take off the Kings glasses a bit. There's no Voynov, Mitchell, Pearson, and Toffoli right now. A kid that hasn't played in the league more than 2 games is centering the 2nd line. Not to mention the dismal decline of Richards, and now Carter.

This isn't the same team...

Holy crap, Doughty played 31:51 last night :laugh:

Boldfaced the important part for you. And Decline of Carter? Give me a break.

And who cares about what the 'experts' say. How often have they written us off?

Got the league right where we want them imo, and you know DL isn't standing pat.

As "experts" go, I must repost Mr. Button Button who is wearing the Button's rant against the Kings during a season that ultimately ended in a Stanley Cup.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
If the Kings were 7-7 in OT/Shootouts this year there would be no issue. I think they should do shootouts at the end of each practice and keep a tally of who scores and who doesn't. Use the 3 guys who have the highest % of makes and then have the list keep going down. That's what I would do.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
This is how I see it as well. Basically we have to go back to a point where a coach was fired to find a time where the team was playing worse.You cannot sugarcoat 14 of 38
Those thoughts have been on my mind also. At that time the team had tired of TM's system though. I doubt that's the problem this time.

I'm getting sick of watching the team lose and too many times I've been bored watching the games. I feel like Terry Murray is coaching the team again. And I'm not saying that to blame Sutter. I think he is doing all he can. The players just aren't getting it done. But what I'm saying is while Terry Murray was coach, the games were often so boring and I'm reminded of that lately. I'm not even disappointed when I don't get to watch a game.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The Kings defense is currently 12th in the league. When was the last time they finished outside of the top ten in defense? I'll wait.

This core has always been at least top ten and more so top three.

Kings need another defenseman. Very happy to have Regehr back, but another addition is needed. I wouldn't wait on Voynov.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014

This is hilarious. They were probably so proud of themselves when we got destroyed by the Red Wings that week, but I wonder what they thought when we won the ****ing Stanley Cup. Comparing Wilson to Lombardi? No depth? What a joke.

I don't want DS to be fired though...

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Holy crap, Doughty played 31:51 last night :laugh:

Boldfaced the important part for you. And Decline of Carter? Give me a break.

And who cares about what the 'experts' say. How often have they written us off?

Got the league right where we want them imo, and you know DL isn't standing pat.

There's no denying Carter's bad play right now. It could be a sign that he's declining, or in a slump. Probably the latter. He's not controlling the game like he was before...

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's no denying Carter's bad play right now. It could be a sign that he's declining, or in a slump. Probably the latter. He's not controlling the game like he was before...

Okay, bad play I can buy; comparing him to Richards in decline I can't. We're good :)

I think he's just a completely different player on the wing. Sutter keeping him away from center is baffling; only reason I can think of is he really likes carter with gabby and kopitar.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'll take the Conn Smythe winner.

fair enough for me I would take quick as well just because I am a fan of home grown talent.
However looking at the numbers it is hard to argue Rinne is having the better season.
I put Quick in a group of top 5 goalies that on any given night can be the best goalie in the world. I cannot say Quick is the best goalie in the world.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Okay, bad play I can buy; comparing him to Richards in decline I can't. We're good :)

I think he's just a completely different player on the wing. Sutter keeping him away from center is baffling; only reason I can think of is he really likes carter with gabby and kopitar.

except he isn't playing with Gabby and Kopitar he is playing with Shore and King!
What the hell has shore done to get 2nd line minutes anyway? Or is that maybe to protect him a little bit

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
As "experts" go, I must repost Mr. Button Button who is wearing the Button's rant against the Kings during a season that ultimately ended in a Stanley Cup.

My favorite from jmsalsa included the experts' predictions

I recall one expert speaking very negatively about the Kings trading Johnson.

Altogether, the experts didn't do too hot in 2012.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
we're only one point out.
This team will make the playoffs. I still believe.

^^^^ what an embarrassing thing to even consider posting about a team that has won 2 of the last 3 Cups. :facepalm:

I think this team misses Voynov more than we think.

And last night they greatly outshot Calgary, but the majority of those shots were very weak / from no angle at all. They had very little sustained pressure / high quality scoring chances (from what I saw).

Oh well, bring on the next team that'll make the Kings their $^&ch.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
^^^^ what an embarrassing thing to even consider posting about a team that has won 2 of the last 3 Cups. :facepalm:

I think this team misses Voynov more than we think.

And last night they greatly outshot Calgary, but the majority of those shots were very weak / from no angle at all. They had very little sustained pressure / high quality scoring chances (from what I saw).

Oh well, bring on the next team that'll make the Kings their $^&ch.

what's embarrassing is people already ruling out the team.
I agree 100% they did not make things difficult enough on Ortio. Most the shots were easy and LA did not establish the cycle,
Obviously the team misses it 2nd best d-man, but this is still a good team without voynov. I think LA also misses Mitchell a lot, and as has been reported DL has been looking for a d upgrade all year.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
The Kings defense is currently 12th in the league. When was the last time they finished outside of the top ten in defense? I'll wait.

This core has always been at least top ten and more so top three.

Kings need another defenseman. Very happy to have Regehr back, but another addition is needed. I wouldn't wait on Voynov.

When were at the point where we are happy to get Regehr back explains alot.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
what's embarrassing is people already ruling out the team.
I agree 100% they did not make things difficult enough on Ortio. Most the shots were easy and LA did not establish the cycle,
Obviously the team misses it 2nd best d-man, but this is still a good team without voynov. I think LA also misses Mitchell a lot, and as has been reported DL has been looking for a d upgrade all year.

I'm not ruling them out, I'm just bored watching them. There's no jump, no excitement.

And now I dread the shootout! :laugh:

I took our son to Hockey Giant last weekend to get a Kings hat for his birthday, but he wound up getting a CCM hat instead. He's even getting bored. :facepalm:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When were at the point where we are happy to get Regehr back explains alot.

Yes--it eXplains how good he was playing before his injury.

I know he's a popular hate target but Regehr helps with EVERYTHING we were having problems with when he was gone. Him and Mcnabb are acceptable replacements for Mitchell. The bigger issue has been the hole by Voynov. It's being filled admirably by Martinez, but no one can then fill the spot next to greene so well (Mcnabb just doesn't mesh well with him so far).

Craig Button is a world class idiot. That guy starts off with a bit of legitimate criticisms then just goes into an all out diatribe in that video Ron posted.

Here is another gem where he talks about how the Kings did not have enough good defensemen and so they shouldn't have traded Jack Johnson. If there was one thing the Kings did have at that time, it was defensemen. I'm pretty sure they were a top 5 defensive team at that point too. The guy is clueless and is simply blowing hot air trying to pretend like he knows what he is talking about.

Yes--it eXplains how good he was playing before his injury.

I know he's a popular hate target but Regehr helps with EVERYTHING we were having problems with when he was gone. Him and Mcnabb are acceptable replacements for Mitchell. The bigger issue has been the hole by Voynov. It's being filled admirably by Martinez, but no one can then fill the spot next to greene so well (Mcnabb just doesn't mesh well with him so far).

Regehr has been one of the few bright spots this year prior to him being injured. I honestly thing DL might bring him back if he plays the same way through the rest of the year. This is the most agile I've seen him in a Kings uniform.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Regehr has been one of the few bright spots this year prior to him being injured. I honestly thing DL might bring him back if he plays the same way through the rest of the year. This is the most agile I've seen him in a Kings uniform.

I think either Regehr retires or re-signs.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I think he would like to keep him, but the cap space won't be there! Unless you already know who you would have go.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He will be 35 in April. Still has a couple of good years left in the tank IMO especially with how rejuvenated he looks this year

True he is only 35 but he has played physical his whole career and his knees are pretty well shot.
I would welcome him back next year but am standing by my resign or re-sign prediction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad