GDT: Calgary Flames at Los Angeles Kings - January 19, 2015 - 7:30 p.m. (PST)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't get it either. After the first few games this season, no one could say anything bad about Regehr. That's because if you don't hear anything about stay-at-home defensemen (much like offensive lineman who don't hold and don't let their QB get sacked), then they must be doing a great job.

Regehr is fine in the proper role. Most of the complaints about him last season centered around him not being the right partner for Doughty, or for Voynov. Once that got sorted out and Muzzin paired with Doughty, and Mitchell with Voynov, Regehr was in the right role.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sutter has already explained why he puts Carter on Kopitar's wing.

Reporter "Why is Carter removed from Center" ? Sutter "I put Carter there to get the Defensive responsibility's off of him". "Let Kopitar do that, and Jeff can play his game".

See, I don't get this. After Kopitar, Carter was probably the best backchecking center the Kings had toward the end of last season and in the playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned Richards/Carter should never happen again. That pairing ran out of steam back in 2013.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
See, I don't get this. After Kopitar, Carter was probably the best backchecking center the Kings had toward the end of last season and in the playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned Richards/Carter should never happen again. That pairing ran out of steam back in 2013.

I get that, and I agree, it just doesn't make much more sense to put a kid like Shore there. Richards and Carter have a history and were a great tandem as recently as 2012. It's not like that was ancient history.

The team sucks right now. Why not give it a shot again? It can't be much worse than what were already seeing, and if it doesn't work, then fine. I just see two wasted players right now in Carter and Richards, the former saddled with guys like King and a rookie centreman who just played his first game, the latter having to center scrubs like Clifford and Nolan. I understand Richards is a different player now, but this is still a guy with hockey IQ and passing ability. Put him back with his old buddy and line mate and see what happens, IMO.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'll leave this here From Sutter's own mouth.

On whether there are parallels between last year’s team and this year’s team heading into the All-Star Break:

Sutter "No". [Reporter: Two totally different teams, obviously.] Sutter "Yeah. A number of players wouldn’t have been there or had understood that. They just have to keep understanding and listening to what I’m telling them about how tough it is to make the [playoffs]. The train has got to be a work train, not the Stanley Cup train. The Stanley Cup train was last year, and some guys just have to get off that train. There’s no extra for it. You get nothing for it. If it affected your next regular season with the way the transition and your personnel goes, then [at the] start of the year, they should give you points for it" Sutter....

On whether there’s a “false sense of securityâ€:

Sutter "Not now, I don’t think, no. I think there have been points with particularly veteran players that there’s been. I mean, you drive the point home about losing a defensemen that you only had for six games, and then you lose two forwards who at the halfway mark are significant players on your team. It falls on the shoulders of not to replace them, it falls on the shoulders of defensemen and wingers to do a little bit more than they’ve done all year".

Looks like some guys, are having trouble getting over last post season.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sounds like Sutter is just really starting to drive home the "you're handed nothing" message that we can very will miss the playoffs if the details aren't cleaned up.

I trust Sutter to motivate them down the stretch but I hope these guys are watching the standings as closely as we are. IMO that's why it would be nice to head into the break out of a playoff spot, though the Sharks are Having similar issues to us right now...

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'll leave this here From Sutter's own mouth.

On whether there are parallels between last year’s team and this year’s team heading into the All-Star Break:

Sutter "No". [Reporter: Two totally different teams, obviously.] Sutter "Yeah. A number of players wouldn’t have been there or had understood that. They just have to keep understanding and listening to what I’m telling them about how tough it is to make the [playoffs]. The train has got to be a work train, not the Stanley Cup train. The Stanley Cup train was last year, and some guys just have to get off that train. There’s no extra for it. You get nothing for it. If it affected your next regular season with the way the transition and your personnel goes, then [at the] start of the year, they should give you points for it" Sutter....

On whether there’s a “false sense of securityâ€:

Sutter "Not now, I don’t think, no. I think there have been points with particularly veteran players that there’s been. I mean, you drive the point home about losing a defensemen that you only had for six games, and then you lose two forwards who at the halfway mark are significant players on your team. It falls on the shoulders of not to replace them, it falls on the shoulders of defensemen and wingers to do a little bit more than they’ve done all year".

Looks like some guys, are having trouble getting over last post season.

In some ways you can understand it. They are still human. The road they ended up going down in the playoffs, what can top that? Down 0-3, three Game 7's, the OT in Game 5 against the Hawks, beating the Hawks in Chicago in Game 7 after being down 2-0, having to come back again and again in that game, down 2-0 twice to the Rangers in Games 1 and 2 only to win in OT, the 4 post OT in Game 5 against the Rangers, and on and on. Obviously winning the Cup after all that.

They're highly paid professionals, they're supposed to be ready to go, but the high of that run, especially that one, is probably indescribable. They didn't just live there, they founded a country on the edge. Again though, they should be ready for the season from Day 1.

The good thing is the Kings still control their destiny. They still have time. They've been very average, at best, but it's still there for them to take.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think winning again last year, especially in the manner they did, screwed with some guys psyches. I think they started to believe they really had a "I win" button that can be pressed when they need it.

The thing is, this team DOES have that button, but when they're conscious of it and start resting on their laurels, that button disappears real ****in quick.

Sutter will light a fire under their ass. It's what he does best. Those quotes are even the beginning. He's basically slamming everyone to get off their ass and stop living in last year.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
I get that, and I agree, it just doesn't make much more sense to put a kid like Shore there. Richards and Carter have a history and were a great tandem as recently as 2012. It's not like that was ancient history.

The team sucks right now. Why not give it a shot again? It can't be much worse than what were already seeing, and if it doesn't work, then fine. I just see two wasted players right now in Carter and Richards, the former saddled with guys like King and a rookie centreman who just played his first game, the latter having to center scrubs like Clifford and Nolan. I understand Richards is a different player now, but this is still a guy with hockey IQ and passing ability. Put him back with his old buddy and line mate and see what happens, IMO.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the locker room & meetings.

Pearson, even with his dry period, was 10% of the team's goals and one of the teams fastest players. They're going to need some other guys to step up offensively.

Richards & Carter isn't likely to be more productive than before, but it's worth a try for a game I guess. Maybe Sutter can sit them down and say "this is your last shot to prove you should play together." It's often not clear just how Sutter is handling motivating players.

I don't think you can pin it on one thing. It hasn't been one thing. Voynov, injuries, losing a key defenseman to free agency, players getting hurt, players regressing and of course the ever popular fatigue. I think all of those are factors and I for one wont think it is the end of the world if they miss the playoffs. It will be disappointing for sure but it is possible.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like Sutter is just really starting to drive home the "you're handed nothing" message that we can very will miss the playoffs if the details aren't cleaned up.

I trust Sutter to motivate them down the stretch but I hope these guys are watching the standings as closely as we are. IMO that's why it would be nice to head into the break out of a playoff spot, though the Sharks are Having similar issues to us right now...

I'm sure he's been saying that very colorfully behind the lockeroom doors most of this year, but they aren't high school kids who should need the coach to have to kick start them ...again.

The other thing is the division and conf. are different this year and they know that, they see the standings and have played the teams that have gotten better.

The next 5 games , due to those in the standings near them and how their games off the break aren't as tough, are critical . They can't afford to drop 5 points bank. WHich can happen by the end of the 1st week in Feb in they aren"t careful.

DonKingKong

Dec 18, 2014
I think we need to recognize also that our style of play has changed to game in a small but significant play. Teams aren't all out there looking for a bunch of super skilled all stars anymore, they are looking for a handful of heart and soul skill guys and a bunch of big physical guys who can play in all 3 zones. We have proven that a great system and a big heavy team that follows it to the letter can win the cup. Not saying we don't have more than our fair share of hyper talented forwards skilled D and one of the best goalies in the world only that teams are getting heavier again and playing much better in their own zones then they had been. We can't afford to simply try to play our style of game and expect it to carry us on, we need to continue to improve or we will be left behind.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The thing is, this team DOES have that button, but when they're conscious of it and start resting on their laurels, that button disappears real ****in quick.

THANK YOU.

You've put into words what I've been unable to express in reply to all the posts about "don't worry at all, it's just like last year, they'll just inevitably go on a tear".

They MAY be able to do that, but the button isn't reliable -- especially when you, ya know... RELY on it.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
THANK YOU.

You've put into words what I've been unable to express in reply to all the posts about "don't worry at all, it's just like last year, they'll just inevitably go on a tear".

They MAY be able to do that, but the button isn't reliable -- especially when you, ya know... RELY on it.

To be fair I don't think anyone is saying it's inevitable and most are sharing the same worry for various reasons; speaking for myself, I'm simply saying DONT PANIC because we HAVE seen this before. No need for the binary for/against.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
To be fair I don't think anyone is saying it's inevitable and most are sharing the same worry for various reasons; speaking for myself, I'm simply saying DONT PANIC because we HAVE seen this before. No need for the binary for/against.

Fair enough. And to be clear, I'm CONCERNED, and preparing myself for a disappointment -- I'm not panicking. That may, however, be because I'm rubbish at trying to cook up trades or moves, and so I don't try to move THOSE chess pieces in my head. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad