GDT: Calgary Flames at Los Angeles Kings - January 19, 2015 - 7:30 p.m. (PST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
I think he would like to keep him, but the cap space won't be there! Unless you already know who you would have go.

I have a feeling the roster is going to look a bit different next year. There is a chance Voynov is gone (either in the Pen or traded). There is a chance Mike Richards is traded. There is a chance Justin Williams doesn't come back. There is a chance Stoll isn't back. The team isn't going to look the same next year especially if they continue playing like this. But the Kings don't have anyone to replace Regehr. I'm really not sure why people complain about him because outside of his puck moving skills and maybe a bit slower skater, he is a similar player to Mitchell.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Carter on the wing: Kings don't really have a person capable of filling the first line RW position. So that's where Carter is needed.

King/Shore/Carter... It's pretty clear that Sutter is surrounding the kid with strong wings for support. With Williams struggling when moved up the first line I'm not sure how long this line will last.

If the Kings want Carter at center they'll need someone for that first line, unless we want to see King/Williams on it. At this point with Pearson/Toffoli out having a good first line is probably better then Carter centering something like King/Lewis.

Ron*

This is hilarious. They were probably so proud of themselves when we got destroyed by the Red Wings that week, but I wonder what they thought when we won the ****ing Stanley Cup. Comparing Wilson to Lombardi? No depth? What a joke.

I don't want DS to be fired though...

Numb-nuts starts talking at the 11:00 minute mark.

Ron*

Regehr's been awesome all year. Guess I'll never get the hate.

I don't get it either. After the first few games this season, no one could say anything bad about Regehr. That's because if you don't hear anything about stay-at-home defensemen (much like offensive lineman who don't hold and don't let their QB get sacked), then they must be doing a great job.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't get it either. After the first few games this season, no one could say anything bad about Regehr. That's because if you don't hear anything about stay-at-home defensemen (much like offensive lineman who don't hold and don't let their QB get sacked), then they must be doing a great job.

he's come as advertised since LA picked him. Only times he has not looked good is when he has been playing through injuries.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He DID have the Buffalo rep to shake but he's looked stronger and stronger every game in LA. It's like he found the fountain of youth. He's adjusted perfectly.

I have a feeling the roster is going to look a bit different next year. There is a chance Voynov is gone (either in the Pen or traded). There is a chance Mike Richards is traded. There is a chance Justin Williams doesn't come back. There is a chance Stoll isn't back. The team isn't going to look the same next year especially if they continue playing like this. But the Kings don't have anyone to replace Regehr. I'm really not sure why people complain about him because outside of his puck moving skills and maybe a bit slower skater, he is a similar player to Mitchell.

Very similar to Mitchell, but I think Mitchell is essentially irreplacable. Not a d-man like him in the league imo, he has the perfect mentality to go with his skills. But Regehr is as close as it gets. Luckily behind those two we have McNabb maybe learning that role. Great foresight by DL there. But I agree, I think most of us knew the roster would look completely different in 2016, we just didn't think it would begin to need a tune-up so early in 2014-2015 because of all the shenanigans following us around.

With every day that passes without a d-move, I get the sense that DL knows something about Voynov that we don't. He doesn't seem like the kind of gambler to just hold on and wait for possible reinforcements without some good reason.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I just sit back and laugh at posts like this. People are acting as this team has never slumped before. Last I checked there's a lot of games left.

yup and only one point out. Still play Calgary twice more, not sure about San Jose but I'm sure them a couple more time.
Should LA win tomorrow in regulation we would be tied with San Jose. Then everything will look a lot rosier.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Just a thought. Why aren't we exploring Richards-Carter again? With all the injuries, putting the two back together may give each a spark.

Gaborik-Kopitar-Williams
Brown-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Nolan

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
If the Kings were 7-7 in OT/Shootouts this year there would be no issue. I think they should do shootouts at the end of each practice and keep a tally of who scores and who doesn't. Use the 3 guys who have the highest % of makes and then have the list keep going down. That's what I would do.

Amen. Not like it would be too demanding to add a bit of shootout practice at the end of each practice and it might pay some dividends considering 1 in 5 or 6 games goes to a SO for us. I think the league avg is about 10 a year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Just a thought. Why aren't we exploring Richards-Carter again? With all the injuries, putting the two back together may give each a spark.

Gaborik-Kopitar-Williams
Brown-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Nolan

Because every time Sutter has tried it over the past two years it has blown up in his face, they don't score and they give up a boatload of goals.

And at this point asking Richards to play a 2nd line role is not putting him in a position to succeed.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Gaborik-Kopitar-Williams
Brown-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Nolan

This is the lineup I would like to see.
Congrats you nailed it!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Because every time Sutter has tried it over the past two years it has blown up in his face, they don't score and they give up a boatload of goals.

And at this point asking Richards to play a 2nd line role is not putting him in a position to succeed.

but asking shore to step into a 2nd line role is putting him in a position to succeed?

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Regehr's been awesome all year. Guess I'll never get the hate.

I've always liked Regehr. He's not perfect, that's for sure. But he brings a certain spirit that's not obvious or missed until it's gone - kind of like Mitchell. The team is supposed to be a physical team but sometimes some guys get amnesia and forget that. Regehr is the most consistent in sticking to that physical spirit. McNabb seems to be getting there as well, thankfully.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I've always liked Regehr. He's not perfect, that's for sure. But he brings a certain spirit that's not obvious or missed until it's gone - kind of like Mitchell. The team is supposed to be a physical team but sometimes some guys get amnesia and forget that. Regehr is the most consistent in sticking to that physical spirit. McNabb seems to be getting there as well, thankfully.

Our D definitely is not as physical as it prior incarnations. Fact is Martinez and Muzzin are not the checkers Scuderi, Mitchell and even Ellerby were.
Not saying I would take any of those guys over Muzzin or A-mart, just thta they play a different game.
Our top four is now more skill and puck moving, than body crashing and stay at home.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It is laughable.

Go ahead, write the team off. They seem to play their best when under the radar.

Just need some more experts to throw dirt on our casket first.

Paging Surly, Scribe, jason Lewis, Gann, anyone--you guys wanna write up some publishable hate mail? ;)

Very similar to Mitchell, but I think Mitchell is essentially irreplacable. Not a d-man like him in the league imo, he has the perfect mentality to go with his skills. But Regehr is as close as it gets. Luckily behind those two we have McNabb maybe learning that role. Great foresight by DL there. But I agree, I think most of us knew the roster would look completely different in 2016, we just didn't think it would begin to need a tune-up so early in 2014-2015 because of all the shenanigans following us around.

With every day that passes without a d-move, I get the sense that DL knows something about Voynov that we don't. He doesn't seem like the kind of gambler to just hold on and wait for possible reinforcements without some good reason.

Yeah Willie had a great ability to move the puck that I think maybe (or maybe not) went overlooked. That along with all of his other skillsets are definitely missed.

I am very encouraged with McNabb's progress. I think he has played well so far and seems to be growing quite a bit. But Regehr and McNabb aren't going to fill that void this year and it has shown. That isn't a knock on either more than it is a compliment to Wilie.

As far as Voynov goes, DL did make a cryptic comment in that radio interview he did the other day when he was asked about how long the trial might be. He said something like " probably not long because there isn't a whole lot of evidence form what I've seen". Now I don't know if he thinks he is going to be found not guilty but they did specifically ask him about the cap space and he said he can't spend it if there is a possibility he is coming back. If DL was absolutely positive he was going to move him regardless of the outcome, he might have already made a move. Then again, I'm sure he doesn't want to replace Voynov then have Voynov reinstated and have to get rid of him because that will put him in a weaker position if he does try to move him. I was thinking there is no way he comes back after the felony charge was filed but I really have no idea at this point. Like a blind man in an orgy, he is just going to have to feel things out.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
We are going to miss the playoffs, simple as that.

We're 1 point out and have approx half a season left.
Now I think the team is trying to do just about everything in their power to miss. But that doesn't mean we will. And if we can turn around the 1 goal and OT/SO record we'll be just fine. And along those lines can the Ducks keep playing almost 61% their games as 1 goal games and getting a point in everyone?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Our D definitely is not as physical as it prior incarnations. Fact is Martinez and Muzzin are not the checkers Scuderi, Mitchell and even Ellerby were.
Not saying I would take any of those guys over Muzzin or A-mart, just thta they play a different game.
Our top four is now more skill and puck moving, than body crashing and stay at home.

I agree that we have more skill on the backend, but I disagree that we're LESS physical than in the past. Doughty is more mature and can destroy people with more than just his hips. Muzzin is definitely much, much more physical than Scuderi. Regehr is roughly equivalent to Mitchell's physicality, though I think Mitchell was a more effective player at controlling the slot. Amart brings more thunder than you're giving him credit for and plays like Voynov in terms of pinchoffs instead of direct contact. No one will argue about McNabb's physical play. And Greene is still back there. Maybe during those stretches when icing Schultz and McBain we were much much softer and it showed, but our fully healthy defense is more physical and arguably a better corps personnel-wise than in the past due to maturity minus the giant loss of Mitchell (and at least currently Voynov).

Doughty-Muzzin
Regehr-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
McNabb

vs.

Doughty-Mitchell
Voynov-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene
Drewiske? I forget.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Holy crap, Doughty played 31:51 last night :laugh:

Boldfaced the important part for you. And Decline of Carter? Give me a break.

And who cares about what the 'experts' say. How often have they written us off?

Got the league right where we want them imo, and you know DL isn't standing pat.

This is one thing all the experts agree on, Lombardi won't sit on his hands and watch this season slip away.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sutter has already explained why he puts Carter on Kopitar's wing.

Reporter "Why is Carter removed from Center" ? Sutter "I put Carter there to get the Defensive responsibility's off of him". "Let Kopitar do that, and Jeff can play his game".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad