Calgary announces agreement for new $1.2 billion arena for the Flames

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Yes. It’s all infrastructure costs and part of the community rink. Provincial governments dump money into infrastructure costs all the time. Heck, Toronto is going after the federal government for costs right now. Zero provincial money is going to the new arena itself. Regardless if it’s built or not the infrastructure needs to be redone. More likely than not the province will be chipping in for a new water main feeder line as well.

I get that. And like I said....it is to satisfy the whims of the City. That particular money and infrastructure not happening otherwise. It is happening to facilitate the project.

Edmonton didn't get that. And the one who gave Calgary this was staunchly opposed to Edmonton getting it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I lived in Edmonton most of my life and good for Calgary and could care less about the government money being applied at least something nice and productive is getting built, the government spends more money on re-designing roads because of piss poor planning from decades before. Or the money being spent on useless go-nowhere studies.

Very well said

Our first arena was from the early eighties in part built for the winter Olympics back then and was long due to be replaced despite not having the longest use. John Hamm was interviewed from a luxury box during one of our home games a couple of years ago and his less than flattering opinion of the Saddledome pretty much captured the perception league-wide.

It's true governments squander money left right and centre. So to have two state-of-the-art arena centre-pieces in the provinces two largest and rival (in many ways) cities only males sense for the province (expected to grow almost beyond calculation over the next 50 yrs).

Calgary also needs a new CFL stadium and if Winnipeg and lowly Regina can boast the prototypes for CFL stadiums then why shouldn't Calgary. Maybe this province would be able to host more global events with world class facilities.

Anyway, my only hope is they do the arena and do it right: 920 mill or 1.2.Bill whatever the total is get it right. And just get it done.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Will be called Scotia Place

Ld9RCKJ.png

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Then shouldn't have the City of Edmonton put $125 million towards said hospital instead of Rogers Place? I get they'd still need provincial funding, but they made it clear where their priorities were.

Saddledome is only 7 years "younger" than Rexall Place, and has had its own issues, so it's not like one place was more deserving than the other.
Hospitals and healthcare are a provincial jurisdiction.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Then shouldn't have the City of Edmonton put $125 million towards said hospital instead of Rogers Place? I get they'd still need provincial funding, but they made it clear where their priorities were.

Saddledome is only 7 years "younger" than Rexall Place, and has had its own issues, so it's not like one place was more deserving than the other.
That's not how healthcare funding works at all. The Province is already in arears by $60M in tax payments to Edmonton and continue to offload services to municipalities while trotting out a $4.3B surplus. The city should absolutely not be shelling out for a hospital before the province does. Give an inch and they take a mile.

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
Was there not infrastructure money coming to Calgary that the city used to fund infrastructure around this entertainment district like utilities LRT sewers sidewalks etc. ? We had 300 million or so infrastructure $$'s coming from the province to spend how we choose ... I really do not see how it's anyone outside of Calgary's concern what our city decides to do with our provincial infrastructure funding ... Edmonton has it's own issues which is none of my concern ... did Edmonton use provincial money for their entertainment district infrastructure ? Maybe Edmonton is playing the victim here I don't know ...

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Pretty good looking space. The “Flames” cladding is a little corny imo but it’s just a rendering which tends to be display more sizzle then the final product so I’m sure it’ll get toned down and probably look better.

Bottom line the Saddle is an absolute dump and if you want to be a world class city you need to have world class facilities. This project and surrounding development resulting from it will benefit the city and province which is why governments generally brush opposition aside and make deals to get these projects built.

Reactions: Tofveve

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Banks and Cell Phones

Only companies with enough money for sponsorship deals

Frigan Roger’s has like 4 of the Canadian teams arenas

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Is Scotiabank like the only private enterprise left in Canada? Seems like there's a serious shortage of corporate sponsors.
The expiration is a pure assumption on my part, but I think they likely own naming rights for the Flames arena until 2030. Pengrowth had the naming deal from 2000-2010, then the original deal with Scotiabank was also 10 years.

I never saw anything about a renewal, but I am guessing it is likely 10 years based on the last 2 deals and teh fact it makes sense to want your name on the NHLs newest arena for a few years. I do however recall reading that naming rights would transfer to the new arena when built during negotiations with the city.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
it's not just an NHL Team.... it's the Hitmen and the Wranglers as well since CSEC owns all 3 franchises
They also own the Roughnecks of the NLL, owned the women's team the was in Calgary previously, and I wouldn't be shocked if they were interested in bringing women's hockey back to Calgary when the PWHL grows.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
As a Flames fan I'm not one hundred percent super happy with the exterior look. There's a lot going on there. Not sure I want the building to look like a bonfire or hell despite the fact our team's name is the Flames. Anyway, as mentioned earlier the final product may be toned down some.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad