Calgary announces agreement for new $1.2 billion arena for the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Calgary is Alberta's premier city? Didn't know that (I'm American never been to Alberta). I had thought Edmonton was the premier city.
Calgary is more or less the unofficial capital just without the title of being the capital city.

It’s larger, it holds more industry. It just doesn’t have the official title

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I lived in Edmonton most of my life and good for Calgary and could care less about the government money being applied at least something nice and productive is getting built, the government spends more money on re-designing roads because of piss poor planning from decades before. Or the money being spent on useless go-nowhere studies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I lived in Edmonton most of my life and good for Calgary and could care less about the government money being applied at least something nice and productive is getting built, the government spends more money on re-designing roads because of piss poor planning from decades before. Or the money being spent on useless go-nowhere studies.

One thing that always struck me as interesting is the fundamentalist vitriol that people have towards public money for sports stadiums, but don't seem to bother giving the slightest shit about the incredible amount of money burned on waste that far exceeds the amount invested in sports infrastructure by many times.

Subsidies get kicked out constantly to billionaires for things that the general public sees almost any benefit from, but those ones are met with a shoulder shrug if anyone even bothers to pay attention at all.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Except that players who play games in AB get taxed. For simple math let's say the NHL season is 200 days, that means players are being paid 5k for every 1m on the ice/bench. At 40% tax, that's 2K in taxes for every 1m dressed for that game.

It's also 15+ multimillionaires living in and spending money in the city.

That would absolutely be an economic loss and tax loss.
True but we have to do the math. Is the loss of those tax dollars more than offset by tax money required to subsidize the arena?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
One thing that always struck me as interesting is the fundamentalist vitriol that people have towards public money for sports stadiums, but don't seem to bother giving the slightest shit about the incredible amount of money burned on waste that far exceeds the amount invested in sports infrastructure by many times.

Subsidies get kicked out constantly to billionaires for things that the general public sees almost any benefit from, but those ones are met with a shoulder shrug if anyone even bothers to pay attention at all.
Lots of people pay attention and complain about other hand outs to billionaires. Not here though, because this is a sports forum.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lots of people pay attention and complain about other hand outs to billionaires. Not here though, because this is a sports forum.

Not talking about a forum. Handouts or subsidies to people that don’t need it aren’t in the public conscience in any form in any significant way - unless it’s an arena or stadium.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
If taxpayers in Alberta are paying on this, they should demand and get a cut of the profits via monthly check. I don't know jack about the economy in Calgary or Edmonton but that amount sounds insane.
A couple things.
1. The Province has only committed 55.1m
2. The community rink and community plaza parts of the project are 81.5m

So the province really isn't paying for any of the Flames rink.

Calgary’s new event centre is the most expensive part of the redevelopment, coming in at $800 million, while the community rink comes with a pricetag of $52.8 million

The parkade will cost $35.4 million, according to the city, while the outdoor community event plazas come in at $28.7 million.

The indoor community plaza totals $9.5 millon. the agreement says.

All in, the project costs $926.4 million. Calgary will pay the largest share, at $515.3 million, followed by Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (CSEC) at $356 million, and the Province of Alberta at $55.1 million.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
A couple things.
1. The Province has only committed 55.1m
2. The community rink and community plaza parts of the project are 81.5m

So the province really isn't paying for any of the Flames rink.

"The provincial government pledged $330 million to cover the infrastructure costs, half of the community rink and the demolition of the Saddledome."

That is still a lot of money to satisfy the whims of the City and a hockey team...ESPECIALLY when the one who pledged it was staunchly opposed to the one a few hours north getting a dime (and didnt) from the province.

Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Calgary is more or less the unofficial capital just without the title of being the capital city.

It’s larger, it holds more industry. It just doesn’t have the official title
Does this make the Flames the winningest team in Alberta, just without all those official championships..... wait I just talked up the oilers..... look what you made me do :laugh::sarcasm::naughty::laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The provincial party always needs the Calgary vote, don’t wanna piss off the ‘money making machine’ that is southern Alberta.
Don’t bite the hand that feeds you, keep Calgary and Southern Alberta happy and her odds are good.

Reactions: Voight

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not talking about a forum. Handouts or subsidies to people that don’t need it aren’t in the public conscience in any form in any significant way - unless it’s an arena or stadium.

Absolutely. And arguably, the government promoting culture (yes, sports are part of culture) is a better use of taxpayer funds than giving money to businesses that don't contribute anything to the city outside of the economy. It all depends on your priorities.

Reactions: cptjeff

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That's incredibly vague. Which people?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
"The provincial government pledged $330 million to cover the infrastructure costs, half of the community rink and the demolition of the Saddledome."

That is still a lot of money to satisfy the whims of the City and a hockey team...ESPECIALLY when the one who pledged it was staunchly opposed to the one a few hours north getting a dime (and didnt) from the province.
Yes. It’s all infrastructure costs and part of the community rink. Provincial governments dump money into infrastructure costs all the time. Heck, Toronto is going after the federal government for costs right now. Zero provincial money is going to the new arena itself. Regardless if it’s built or not the infrastructure needs to be redone. More likely than not the province will be chipping in for a new water main feeder line as well.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
That's incredibly vague. Which people?
Going by context clues (their post prior to the one you quoted), I'm going to guess "they" are incredibly wealthy people who shouldn't need tax dollar handouts if their money is actually real.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The much needed SW Edmonton hospital was halted due to funding the Calgary arena...Edmonton hasn't had a new hospital for over 30 years and the population has nearly doubled.

Then shouldn't have the City of Edmonton put $125 million towards said hospital instead of Rogers Place? I get they'd still need provincial funding, but they made it clear where their priorities were.

Saddledome is only 7 years "younger" than Rexall Place, and has had its own issues, so it's not like one place was more deserving than the other.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad