PTO Options - D

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Starting to see PTO's going out, Tanner Pearson to Vegas, Sammy Blais to Vancouver, Vrana to Wash, etc.

I have seen a number of names being mentioned on here for Ottawa and I do expect that we will see a PTO for the Sens in the next couple of weeks.
I think you could make an argument for a Forward as well as for a D-man but the need is greater on D.

I would think that the Sens would be looking for a Veteran. I don't think that it matters as much if they are LD or RD.
As it stands, we actually already have 4 RD under contract in Zub, Jensen, JBD and Hamonic and 3 LD in Sandy, Chabot and Kleven (technically still on his entry contract and can be sent down to Belleville).

Ideally, you would have a versatile 2-way D-man that could play either LD or RD and can move in the line-up in the event of injury.
Being a mentor to players like Kleven & JBD would be a plus. Ability to play some of the 2nd unit PP would be a plus as it gets pretty thin after Sandy & Chabot when it comes to PP.

With just $1.9M of cap space left, they would have to be able to come in at the minimum and just a one-year deal.
There are some options still out there that I think might fit the bill. This includes:

• Kevin Shattenkirk: RD, 35 y/o, 24pts in 61gp with the Bruins last year, 952gp in his career, including a Cup with T-Bay in 19-20.
  • Justin Schultz: RD, 34 y/o, 26pts in 70gp with the Kraken last year, 745gp in his career, including Cups with the Pens in 15-16 & 16-17.
  • Tyson Barrie: RD, 33 y/o, 15 pts in 41gp with the Preds last year, 809gp in his career, including 47gp in the playoffs with Col, Edm, Tor & Nsh.
  • Marco Scandella: LD, 34 y/o, 8 pts in 65gp with the Blues last year, 784gp in his career, including 56gp in the playoffs with Min & StL.
  • John Klingberg: RD, 32 y/o, 5pts in 14gp with the Leafs last year, 633gp in his career, including 63gp in the playoffs with Dal & Min.
I am hoping that we are in the running for one of Shattenkirk, Schultz or Barrie.
All 3 bring a wealth of experience, all 3 could be options to play some PP and/or cover off injuries to someone in the Top 4, if required.

With the number of veteran players, management, coaching and ownership, I would assume that there are multiple associations somewhere with each of these players.
(Jensen & Schultz were teammates in Wash, Perron & Shattenkirk were teammates in StL & Mike Yeo was coaching, Staois would be familiar with Barrie from their time together in Edmonton, etc.)

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Starting to see PTO's going out, Tanner Pearson to Vegas, Sammy Blais to Vancouver, Vrana to Wash, etc.

I have seen a number of names being mentioned on here for Ottawa and I do expect that we will see a PTO for the Sens in the next couple of weeks.
I think you could make an argument for a Forward as well as for a D-man but the need is greater on D.

I would think that the Sens would be looking for a Veteran. I don't think that it matters as much if they are LD or RD.
As it stands, we actually already have 4 RD under contract in Zub, Jensen, JBD and Hamonic and 3 LD in Sandy, Chabot and Kleven (technically still on his entry contract and can be sent down to Belleville).

Ideally, you would have a versatile 2-way D-man that could play either LD or RD and can move in the line-up in the event of injury.
Being a mentor to players like Kleven & JBD would be a plus. Ability to play some of the 2nd unit PP would be a plus as it gets pretty thin after Sandy & Chabot when it comes to PP.

With just $1.9M of cap space left, they would have to be able to come in at the minimum and just a one-year deal.
There are some options still out there that I think might fit the bill. This includes:

• Kevin Shattenkirk: RD, 35 y/o, 24pts in 61gp with the Bruins last year, 952gp in his career, including a Cup with T-Bay in 19-20.
  • Justin Schultz: RD, 34 y/o, 26pts in 70gp with the Kraken last year, 745gp in his career, including Cups with the Pens in 15-16 & 16-17.
  • Tyson Barrie: RD, 33 y/o, 15 pts in 41gp with the Preds last year, 809gp in his career, including 47gp in the playoffs with Col, Edm, Tor & Nsh.
  • Marco Scandella: LD, 34 y/o, 8 pts in 65gp with the Blues last year, 784gp in his career, including 56gp in the playoffs with Min & StL.
  • John Klingberg: RD, 32 y/o, 5pts in 14gp with the Leafs last year, 633gp in his career, including 63gp in the playoffs with Dal & Min.
I am hoping that we are in the running for one of Shattenkirk, Schultz or Barrie.
All 3 bring a wealth of experience, all 3 could be options to play some PP and/or cover off injuries to someone in the Top 4, if required.

With the number of veteran players, management, coaching and ownership, I would assume that there are multiple associations somewhere with each of these players.
(Jensen & Schultz were teammates in Wash, Perron & Shattenkirk were teammates in StL & Mike Yeo was coaching, Staois would be familiar with Barrie from their time together in Edmonton, etc.)
I'd bring in Giordano and Dermott. Both can play either side.

Reactions: DrEasy and BigRig4

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
I'd love Shattenkirk, Justin Schultz, or... an odd pick at perhaps a reclamation project: Calen Addison?

29 points with Minnesota in 22/23, only 24... Might be worth a shot?
Yeah, Addison is an interesting option, considering his age and being a RD.

Tony DeAngelo is another RD option at 28 y/o and basically averages just under 50pts per 82gp over the course of his career.
Obviously, his past is a concern but has been a very productive player despite the alleged attitude problems.

Carolina did bring him back for a second tour of duty, so he can't be completely toxic?
He was a +30 with the Canes in 21-22, which was second best on the team next to Slavin, so he must have some defensive abilities?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, Addison is an interesting option, considering his age and being a RD.

Tony DeAngelo is another RD option at 28 y/o and basically averages just under 50pts per 82gp over the course of his career.
Obviously, his past is a concern but has been a very productive player despite the alleged attitude problems.

Carolina did bring him back for a second tour of duty, so he can't be completely toxic?
He was a +30 with the Canes in 21-22, which was second best on the team next to Slavin, so he must have some defensive abilities?
Unless it was a last resort, I doubt he comes to Canada.

He fits in well surrounded by Trumpers in Carolina.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think they should bring in some PTO's to create competition on D, even if it is superficial, because it seems like there is almost no real competition internally. Kleven, JBD, and Guennette all will battle for 2-3 spots, depending on the state of Hamonic.

There are still some significant unsigned RFAs. So I could see us possibly being a landing spot if a team needs to move out a defenseman. We could also be active on the waiver wire, either by acquiring a player destined for the waiver wire via trade, or by claiming a player.

I don't think many of the PTO options look that exciting. DeAngelo is obviously very skilled offensively, but the problem is that he is also very skilled offensively. I think Dermott ends up getting a shot in Edmonton. There are lots of connections there (former Otter with McDavid, shares an agent with Bouchard and Brown). They just lost Ceci and Broberg. While Dermott isn't even a lock to make their team, they have incentive to bring in a possible depth option, and the connections are there.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think they should bring in some PTO's to create competition on D, even if it is superficial, because it seems like there is almost no real competition internally. Kleven, JBD, and Guennette all will battle for 2-3 spots, depending on the state of Hamonic.

There are still some significant unsigned RFAs. So I could see us possibly being a landing spot if a team needs to move out a defenseman. We could also be active on the waiver wire, either by acquiring a player destined for the waiver wire via trade, or by claiming a player.

I don't think many of the PTO options look that exciting. DeAngelo is obviously very skilled offensively, but the problem is that he is also very skilled offensively. I think Dermott ends up getting a shot in Edmonton. There are lots of connections there (former Otter with McDavid, shares an agent with Bouchard and Brown). They just lost Ceci and Broberg. While Dermott isn't even a lock to make their team, they have incentive to bring in a possible depth option, and the connections are there.
Your second sentence in the 3rd paragraph needs adjustment. :)

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Your second sentence in the 3rd paragraph needs adjustment. :)
I caught that too but was wondering if it was intentional in saying that the problem with DeAngelo is that he is so gifted offensively and not really what we are looking for as we really need a solid veteran stay at home type D-man?

Reactions: Cosmix

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I caught that too but was wondering if it was intentional in saying that the problem with DeAngelo is that he is so gifted offensively and not really what we are looking for as we really need a solid veteran stay at home type D-man?

Double meaning, I was alluding to his alleged personality issues with so many teams. I thought I was being clever, but sometimes I just end up playing myself.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

Just read this Seravalli article on the possibility of DeAngelo going to Edmonton:

The article goes on to discuss DeAngelo's past and his potential fit in Edmonton going forward.
The comparison he makes is to Evander Kane, which I thought was a good comparison because just like DeAngelo, Kane has a very checkered past but has proven to be a good fit in Edmonton with the probable realization that before coming to Edmonton, he was almost out of options to play anywhere in the league and he pretty much landed in the best possible situation with the Oilers. Article goes on to mention that the Oilers have given second chances to other players like Perry and Virtanen and even new GM, Stan Bowman.

As much as I would like for us to give DeAngelo a chance, I would think that he would be a much better fit with the Oilers.
With the loss of Ceci & Broberg that you mention, it certainly makes sense for the Oilers to add DeAngelo (or one of Schultz, Shattenkirk or Barrie as the article mentions).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Barrie or sharekirk would be totally fine. They don’t have to play against top 6s. But they may also be hesitant to sign because they won’t be getting any pp time

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
1725660776959.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad