Calgary announces agreement for new $1.2 billion arena for the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You are making an assumption that public spending to this private enterprise will be a public benefit, but I have seen nothing that demonstrates that as a reasonable one.

Have you ever been to a fun hockey game? Cheering for a sports team with 20,000 other people? Booing the ref, feeling the anguish of defeat, the sweet thrill of victory, or getting excited when a fight breaks out? Being a part of something and representing your team and your city? Talking with the people sitting beside you, being involved in the community?

That sure seems like a public benefit to me, but full disclosure I'm just a dumb hockey fan.

Look at the state of "District Detroit" and what happens when you funnel public funds to a private entity in the hopes they will make things better for the public.

My issue with this public spending is that it is funding private enterprise. I said as much already.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert and surely you as a local would know more than I do but as far as I understand it Detroit the city has been in a free fall in many aspects for a very long time now. Boarded up buildings and very little growth. Maybe it's reassuring someone would invest some serious money into an area of Detroit at all. I'd be glad to learn about it if you want to expound.

I get it. I understand having an issue with that. But I would rather some public money benefit a private entity like CSEC, an organization that does a ton in the community charity wise and has deep roots in the city of Calgary than it benefit BP or Shell or some other foreign oil company like it has in this province many many many times before who take the profits somewhere else.

And if you are going to flippantly describe addicts as tweakers who are mooching off of the public library then you are going to receive pushback from me for it. If you don't want to be seen as callous, don't act that way.

Like I said I'm fine if you want to see me as callous. If you had ever actually worked with addicts you would know callousness is sometimes called for. Bad manners understands bad manners.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You have to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of going to a hockey game. OUtside of events in an even busy arena it is largely a dead zone for most of the day or evening. Libraries are free and have a steady flow of people coming and going throughout the day and evening, depending on hours. A great source of free education and entertainment, offering free internet, classrooms for various programs.

It's disappointing that the corporate capital of western capital in a province that is the most steadfast in its opposition to taxes of any kind would bend over so eagerly to pay for 3/4s of an arena and its supporting infrastructure. This is nearly 3 times more than Quebec City paid for their arena which is likely nearly as good as whatever the Flames build.

What's funny is I am sure there are many Calgary posters here and elsewhere like Calgary Puck who mocked and derided the amount of public money that was allocated to arenas in places like Quebec City and Edmonton who are more than eager to see a far greater amount of public subsidies being used to support this project. It's different when it's my team!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
$1.2B for an arena. WOW. Now that's inflation.

If it costs $1.2B for an arena, how much would an NFL stadium in Toronto cost? The L.A. Stadium came in at $5B USD so...
$7B Canadian? More?

And that does not include the price of a team.

If Canadians ever needed proof that the NFL will NEVER come to Toronto, that is proof enough.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not going to claim to be an expert and surely you as a local would know more than I do but as far as I understand it Detroit the city has been in a free fall in many aspects for a very long time now. Boarded up buildings and very little growth. Maybe it's reassuring someone would invest some serious money into an area of Detroit at all. I'd be glad to learn about it if you want to expound.
Try a library.

Short version: Mike Ilitch is a very large reason for the degree of blight and empty concrete in the downtown area. His corporation sat on property and then got public money to fix a problem he/they created. And the fix has yet to materialize.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Exactly this.

Do oil or tech or whichever companies ask for public money when they erect their headquarters in Calgary?
I know that ofter they get some sort of tax incentive but seeing as both CSEC and say, Husky for example, are private corporations, why does one require millions in public money for the construction of their operating space and the other doesn't?

Have been beating this drum for a long time, and there are enough examples of other municipalities having their professional sports ownerships pay for their own private arenas. Why can't Calgary?

There's a bit of a difference when you're talking about the "public benefit" of an arena project with attached infrastructure and all sorts of other stores, restaurants, facilities that thrive on that public draw...compared to an oil company HQ office tower. The arena project and surrounding development create more vibrant activity, with people circulating in the area, patronizing businesses, putting money into the area and using population movement to create an uplifting effect on the "quality" of the area.

An oil company office tower adds minimal benefit from 9-5, and absolutely zero benefit after "quitting time". Where the tower empties out, everyone goes home...and you get absolutely nothing to add life and vibrancy to the area. Especially when there's a ton of empty office towers in downtown Calgary (and Edmonton) anyway.

I don't really like this use of public funds to support a semi-private sports enterprise project. But there's at least a reasonable case that an arena district project can have some benefit to the city and public.

Could they not modernize the current arena. Surely that would be more environmentally friendly and less expensive ? They're doing that with the Glenbow Museum (pity as I'm visiting in July and August). Which is progressive and forward thinking trying to turn that into a destination museum.

How about spending taxpayers money on speeding up the C-Transit extensions, homelessness and other social issues ?

This sort of idea that the public fund privately owned teams would never fly in the UK. When Manchester City and West Ham acquired taxpayer funded arenas (given the fact they may turn into white elephants post Commonwealth and Olympic Games) there was still a huge storm of controversy.

50/50 I liked both but there's a serious shortage of trees in Calgary. Edmonton wins hands down on that.

While i kind of agree...a renovation of the Saddledome would've been nice...the way Vancouver updated GM Place/Rogers Arena around the Olympics...i'm not sure if the Glenbow is a compelling case for that sort of endeavour. Hasn't that project run into some pretty big issues and projected cost overruns? That's also a comparatively straightforward project, compared to what the Saddledome would require.

The timeline involved is probably the biggest obstacle though. Those kind of extensive renovations to the Saddledome would take a lot longer than the Flames offseason (while also leaving Calgary with no major downtown arena for other events through the summer). It's just a sort of unfortunate reality that developing a new arena next door to the existing one allows for better continuity of service.

I agree as a whole though. Spending this kind of public money on an arena vanity project is really throwing cash at the symptom, rather than the underlying problem there. I do think that this arena project could help get the Green Line LRT expansion on track. This new arena project is going to interface with that intended course. I'm curious to see if that sort of development spurs more action on that development in the same area, at the same time.

What's the specific on what the city gets for it's funding and what economic benefit the new event center would provide for the city? The city is supposed to spend tax dollars on projects that help the city. Whether or not it can be privately funded or not doesn't matter, and certainly doesn't matter whether some individual taxpayer will benefit from it or not.

I think the reality is, it's not about providing economic benefit for the city directly. It's about providing economic benefit for developers, which in theory provides additional tax/revenue for the city in a roundabout way. Not just the developers involved in the arena project itself, but surrounding infrastructure development, as well as other nearby development projects.

I would be shocked if a big part of making this happen behind the scenes, wasn't related to that megaproject with three 40-60 story towers, and some sort of massive 9 story indoor mall slated for that area right at the crook of the Elbow just SW of this new arena project. That's an economic cash cow for the city and a new arena district project and infrastructure improvements a few blocks away has a clear influence on the viability of that sort of project.

Really cute that there's so many Albertans that seem to think this is the first recorded instance in history of public money benefitting private enterprise.

Like, have they just been living with their head in the sand for the last 50 years in this province or.. what exactly? Provincial, municipal and federal governments have given billions out to oil companies in the form of tax incentives, infrastructure, and major project funding.

But this is about a hockey arena, and people have strong feelings on that I guess.
Would I rather have had CSEC pay in full? Yeah sure, that would've been ideal. But they're a business trying to get the best possible deal, as all businesses do and is actually a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. The people who say this serves no benefit to the city are just plain wrong too, they're not bulldozing family homes and playgrounds. It's parking lots and crack houses in an area that could really benefit from revitalization.

I don't know that it's really compelling to say, "well the government has irresponsibly thrown tons of money at a bunch of other bad things". lol. But it's true. The extent of assistance, funding, tax breaks, etc. thrown at the oil and gas industry has been truly staggering over the years. Just looking at the masses of orphan wells that the government (over multiple regimes and parties) has thrown money at, letting these companies come in, pillage what they want, and disappear into the night without cleaning up their shit when they leave, is truly astounding. By comparison, an arena project with some public benefit at least vaguely conceivable looks alright. :laugh:

This city spent 25 million on a giant blue ring and a chinese fingertrap pedestrian bridge. They spent 300 million on a pretty public library when you know, the internet exists. They funneled millions and millions of dollars into the East Village only to make the area next to worthless by reupping the Drop In center's lease.

And yet they continue to fail upwards and run a 200M surplus year after year. Is a sports arena a good investment? No. It was never going to be and that's assumed. But it has a whole lot more merit and does a lot more to raise the standard of living for its citizens than a lot of the other bs they've done.

Part of the reason that fingertrap bridge is so expensive, is that people keep breaking it. I don't think it was a mistake to create something unique and aspirational. I think it was a mistake to not address some of the other underlying problems in the city, before putting up a fancy art piece to get smashed up.

It seems like they're trying to follow the blueprint of Vancouver with Hastings-Sunrise. But haven't really invested properly in the social structures that can make a project like that successful. So they just have that really jarring dichotomy of rich and poor creating a really disjointed feeling around that area as a whole.

300 million on a library makes it more of an art project than a library, I appreciate the shared spaces it has but it probably has one book in it for every $15,000 spent

I don't think you're really grasping what a "library" is about in the year 2023. Yes, it's a repository for books. But it's more important functions are as a community center. It's not intended to be a "book warehouse". It's a place for people to gather and interact and build a sense of community. It's the sort of public social institution that actually does help to uplift the area and community as a whole.

Personally, i think it's ugly as heck. But it is well crafted and serves a purpose as a magnet for community interaction. A place for new, marginalized, and niche communities to grow and integrate as part of the city and community as a whole. It's a place where kids can visit and experience a version of "downtown" that isn't scary and bad. Giving a little glimmer of hope to the future.

I've gone to the library a few times. It's pretty cool. Some of it feels like it should be a wing of the science centre than being a library. But without kids, I'm not sure that most people would willingly go to the central library for no reason.

IF that area is revitalized, it'd be an ultra cool place to be for sure. For now, I can see why some people refuse to go to the area. It's not awful, but the area is kinda disjointed vs the East village area.

This comes back to the crux of the issue i guess. Is a new arena project going to fix the underlying problems that make that area so disjointed in the first place? What could you do with a billion dollars of social supports, transitional accommodations, etc.?

I think an arena project can be a useful investment...but it has to be coupled with other investment to really comprehensively solve the issue. That's where it's frustrating that the private billionaire responsible for the sportsball team isn't ponying up more of the bill here. Which would allow more of that public money to be reallocated toward other supporting projects that depend on public money because there's no direct "profit" evident for private investment.

Reactions: Figgy44

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Out of all of the Flames fans in the area who are upset over the arena deal, how many of you would actually be ok with seeing their team move to one of the emerging interested big U.S. markets because they decide that deal is more favorable? I get it’s annoying but it just seems like people should’ve accepted awhile ago that it’s just a matter of if you don’t do it, someone else will

Aug 3, 2010
Out of all of the Flames fans in the area who are upset over the arena deal, how many of you would actually be ok with seeing their team move to one of the emerging interested big U.S. markets because they decide that deal is more favorable? I get it’s annoying but it just seems like people should’ve accepted awhile ago that it’s just a matter of if you don’t do it, someone else will
It's a business. I don't care if Apple or Nordstrom's move out of the city either.

Being a sports fan does not have to make one a fan of the business model.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's a business. I don't care if Apple or Nordstrom's move out of the city either.

Being a sports fan does not have to make one a fan of the business model.
Due respect but that’s a wild comparison in my opinion, would be surprised if that’s how most people saw the team but what do I know

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

This is always dangled over the heads of fans as a justification for subsidizing billionaire owners playthings. But were the Flames ever truly in danger of getting moved back to Atlanta or whatever?

1)You're out of your mind if you think the NHL in this day and age could survive the PR gut shot of moving a team out of a hockey hotbed market over an inability to reach a real estatate/land development deal. You'd have Oilers fans picking up their pitchforks and torches in support of a Calgary team.

2)The lure of expansion money makes it far too lucrative to create a new team, rather than relocating a stable, profitable team like the Flames. You could cash out hundreds of millions in fees to just add a new team to the league. Moving a team out of a solid stable market generates basically nothing...if not negative revenue overall.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
So is it confirmed that new government would kill this deal or is that just what people expect to happen?
There’s no confirmation either way. But funding the arena with provincial money is a pathetic political ploy to win votes in Calgary ridings which could swing to either party. The announcement’s timing - just before a provincial election - is no accident.

Notley has no incentive to reveal her hand either way. Confirm the funding and she’ll annoy her base. Confirm she’ll pull it and she’ll annoy some Calgarians.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't enjoy them leaving either. But the event centre deal isn't the worst use of funds, I do still wish that the CSEC paid a slightly higher percentage.
So is it confirmed that new government would kill this deal or is that just what people expect to happen?
Nope. They'd probably keep it and spend more and blame the old government for hand cuffing them. Why anger opposition voters right off the bat? Try and convert them.

Rumors are NDP might keep the arena deal then add a new one for Edmonton to expand their ICE district.

The end seems to be the same with UCP vs NDP, but spun differently. Egg v chuck vs chicken v egg.

It's not totally that I am against this. It's the tact that seems poor.
There’s no confirmation either way. But funding the arena with provincial money is a pathetic political ploy to win votes in Calgary ridings which could swing to either party. The announcement’s timing - just before a provincial election - is no accident.

Notley has no incentive to reveal her hand either way. Confirm the funding and she’ll annoy her base. Confirm she’ll pull it and she’ll annoy some Calgarians.

Yeah but the NDP would probably do the same too. An event centre that does more than hockey isn't bad, but the marketing on this has been atrocious.

And... Other people know this event centre deal is more than just hockey, right? It's concerts and stuff too.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Thrilled my tax dollars can help subsidize needy billionaires.

God this province’s premier is a train wreck.
Then you'll be thrilled when I tell you and have the cockles of your heart warmed to know that many or your tax dollars are already going to the O&G industry, many many of mine as well, and lets not forget how Bombardier has always been there hat in hand in order to keep making those Challengers and Global 8000's so our leaders, job creators and the rest of the feckless wealthy can really travel in style, flying at "mach" speeds so as not to miss a moment of hobnobbing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Putting out resolutions to rezone a landfill into an arena development isn't exactly a victory lap. Lol.

Calgary has had that proposed Arena site (which is not a dump) zoned with Direct Control for ages now. They can do whatever the heck they want with it, if the funding is there.

Tempe deal is at a far more preliminary stage of consulting the public on , "would you rather this be a literal landfill, or an arena???" and waiting on approval for that.

Over time isn't the Arizona arena basically 100% publicly funded?

The thing i still haven't seen resolved about this entire Tempe Landfill Arena, is how the mitigation is all going to be funded, and how profits will be split if it doesn't just collapse into the trash heap.

Last i understood, the Yotes were asking to pay absolutely $0 for the land. While reaping all of the potential profits for private enterprise. Turning a garbage dump into viable land for an arena district isn't going to be cheap. Someone is going to have to pay for that extensive and entirely disgusting process.

So who pays for what and who profits still seems very much up in the air. As the the viability of the project as a whole.

It costs $0 to rezone an area. It costs billions to actually turn a landfill into an arena. Typical Americana prop vote misleading information.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
UCP majority. Looks like the arena will be built.

Looks this way, hopefully it gets build.

If it gets the green light, the future for the Flames will bright off the ice.

If it gets the green light, it will take 3-4 years to build and by that time the Flames will be starting their rebuild.

So hopefully at some point in the new arena the Flames have a young exciting team.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
UCP majority. Looks like the arena will be built.
It looks like the province is going to follow through on its silly offer to pay for infrastructure 'improvements' the Flames should be paying for themselves - that's all. The arena is going to be built with or without provincial assistance.

The province and city both should have said no but the Premier couldn't help herself - she had to dive in and help line the pockets of Flames owners with our hard earned tax dollars.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
It looks like the province is going to follow through on its silly offer to pay for infrastructure 'improvements' the Flames should be paying for themselves - that's all. The arena is going to be built with or without provincial assistance.

The province and city both should have said no but the Premier couldn't help herself - she had to dive in and help line the pockets of Flames owners with our hard earned tax dollars.
Didnt realize that building a building should invovle me building new roads around it as well..... Thats literally the citys job. City owns the stadium flames pay for rent and maintenance and other stuff. Only dumb thing here is the blow up the original deal in a rising cost environment.

ShotDownInFlames

May 16, 2015
ALBERTA

Whether its right or wrong. I'm sure Murray Edwards didn't become the successful business man he is by giving in to people in negotiations or not looking for the absolute best deal that he could for his best interest.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Didnt realize that building a building should invovle me building new roads around it as well..... Thats literally the citys job. City owns the stadium flames pay for rent and maintenance and other stuff. Only dumb thing here is the blow up the original deal in a rising cost environment.
The city can do the work but the Flames should pay for it if it is exclusively for the new arena.

Whether its right or wrong. I'm sure Murray Edwards didn't become the successful business man he is by giving in to people in negotiations or not looking for the absolute best deal that he could for his best interest.
Edwards isn't really to blame if the city and province bend over backwards to give him everything he asks for. The city and province had the responsibility to say "No - build your own arena and pay taxes on it when it's done."

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
The city can do the work but the Flames should pay for it if it is exclusively for the new arena.
Its public roads surrounding the arena, i dont pay for building up the roads in my neighborhood if im building a house? At the end of the day you clearly want the flames to just pay for and own the arena and thats fine, but i think its the city that wants the own the land and the complex. Theres no chance if im Murray that im paying to build the arena so someone else can own it, how rich i am doesnt matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad