Calgary announces agreement for new $1.2 billion arena for the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I don't get it are the 20-30 year olds in Calgary all lazy? The majority should be actually working and would be considered a taxpayer

No, it's not that they're all lazy. It's that this is seemingly the logic that they seem to be using if they aren't upset about the scenario and they are poor, as you said.

I think there is a point about financial illiteracy where certain poor people as you said might celebrate this because they don't understand the implications? I'm not saying that I believe all these people in that age category have the same opinion.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Someone who rents (ie: no property tax) and has income low enough for non-refundable tax credits to have no taxes owing on their tax filing is unaffected by this. It's not that they don't pay taxes, it's that the taxes they owe are paid by the government.
You do realize that if the property taxes increase all across the city the rent will go up, don't you?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Someone who rents (ie: no property tax) and has income low enough for non-refundable tax credits to have no taxes owing on their tax filing is unaffected by this. It's not that they don't pay taxes, it's that the taxes they owe are paid by the government.

Wrong.....they are paid by everyone else!

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
You do realize that if the property taxes increase all across the city the rent will go up, don't you?

Not until the lease renewal!

Seriously though. I agree with you. I am just saying that's possibly their logic (flawed) as to why the arena isn't affecting them. The reality is that they probably don't think about it at all.

Wrong.....they are paid by everyone else!

Dammit. Even though the government is taking credit, you are correct. :)

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Calgary is essentially the larger and more economic hub of Alberta, it makes sense that’s where they want to spend some tax payers money. Especially with potential alternative motives that’s are not to be discussed on this forum.

Either way, fantastic news for Flames and the city of Calgary

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really cute that there's so many Albertans that seem to think this is the first recorded instance in history of public money benefitting private enterprise.

Like, have they just been living with their head in the sand for the last 50 years in this province or.. what exactly? Provincial, municipal and federal governments have given billions out to oil companies in the form of tax incentives, infrastructure, and major project funding.

But this is about a hockey arena, and people have strong feelings on that I guess.
Would I rather have had CSEC pay in full? Yeah sure, that would've been ideal. But they're a business trying to get the best possible deal, as all businesses do and is actually a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. The people who say this serves no benefit to the city are just plain wrong too, they're not bulldozing family homes and playgrounds. It's parking lots and crack houses in an area that could really benefit from revitalization.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Hopefully, it'll be shaped like a saddle and have more exposed concrete walls than any building in North America. Just to keep up the tradition of the old one.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Calgary is essentially the larger and more economic hub of Alberta, it makes sense that’s where they want to spend some tax payers money. Especially with potential alternative motives that’s are not to be discussed on this forum.

Either way, fantastic news for Flames and the city of Calgary
Wow what a size difference. lol

1.1 million
1.3 million

you do realize they have a meeting to discuss Edmonton the difference of the extra Calgary will be getting ? Also inflation is the reason they have to give that extra to Calgary ? perhaps your blind hatred of Edmonton is getting in the way of using logic and research.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Wow what a size difference. lol

1.1 million
1.3 million

you do realize they have a meeting to discuss Edmonton the difference of the extra Calgary will be getting ? Also inflation is the reason they have to give that extra to Calgary ? perhaps your blind hatred of Edmonton is getting in the way of using logic and research
Good attempt, but it doesn’t even touch on my comment.

I swear some of you have notifications for when I post :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: joestevens29

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Really cute that there's so many Albertans that seem to think this is the first recorded instance in history of public money benefitting private enterprise.

Like, have they just been living with their head in the sand for the last 50 years in this province or.. what exactly? Provincial, municipal and federal governments have given billions out to oil companies in the form of tax incentives, infrastructure, and major project funding.

But this is about a hockey arena, and people have strong feelings on that I guess.
Would I rather have had CSEC pay in full? Yeah sure, that would've been ideal. But they're a business trying to get the best possible deal, as all businesses do and is actually a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. The people who say this serves no benefit to the city are just plain wrong too, they're not bulldozing family homes and playgrounds. It's parking lots and crack houses in an area that could really benefit from revitalization.
People are just mad that they’ve p***y footed around getting this deal for far too long and now the cost has increased dramatically. But in the end, the province was always going to pay for a portion of it

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Bingo. I hear a lot of "this isn't how things should be!" in the discourse around arena funding issues.

The reality is that is how things are whether people like it or not. It is an exception, not the rule for sports venues to be wholly privately financed regardless of the financial position of ownership, the team, or the city. It is what it is. Want a big 4 sports franchise in your city? Then a relatively negligible amount (in the grand scheme of things) of public money will have to be spent.

Whether it is appropriate or not for the province to fund a municipal project like this is another conversation, but public money is part of the package one way or another whether people like it or not.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Just because this isn't the first time it has happened doesn't mean we aren't allowed to have an issue with it.

I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when the LCA was given public funds to "complete".

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just because this isn't the first time it has happened doesn't mean we aren't allowed to have an issue with it.

I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when the LCA was given public funds to "complete".

Nowhere in that post did I say nobody is allowed to have an issue with it. I'm not particularly thrilled with the deal myself, other than the fact the city needed a new major event centre and they are finally getting one.

I do however take issue with people characterizing it as the city and the province giving Murray Edwards and the rest of the Flames' ownership a handout that'll go directly into their pockets. That's not what is occurring. This is a project that revitalizes an area of downtown that sorely needs it and will provide Calgarians with a better quality entertainment option for the next 40 years.

The UCP flushed 1.5 billion dollars on a pipeline everyone with half a brain knew was never going to happen a couple years ago and I don't remember the same level of outrage.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nowhere in that post did I say nobody is allowed to have an issue with it. I'm not particularly thrilled with the deal myself, other than the fact the city needed a new major event centre and they are finally getting one.

I do however take issue with people characterizing it as the city and the province giving Murray Edwards and the rest of the Flames' ownership a handout that'll go directly into their pockets. That's not what is occurring. This is a project that revitalizes an area of downtown that sorely needs it and will provide Calgarians with a better quality entertainment option for the next 40 years.

The UCP flushed 1.5 billion dollars on a pipeline everyone with half a brain knew was never going to happen a couple years ago and I don't remember the same level of outrage.
I heard the same thing about "District Detroit."

Do I think it is them just pocketing the cash? No. Do I think it is them taking advantage of taxpayer dollars and that it is a bad investment for the city? Yes.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I heard the same thing about "District Detroit."

Do I think it is them just pocketing the cash? No. Do I think it is them taking advantage of taxpayer dollars and that it is a bad investment for the city? Yes.

This city spent 25 million on a giant blue ring and a chinese fingertrap pedestrian bridge. They spent 300 million on a pretty public library when you know, the internet exists. They funneled millions and millions of dollars into the East Village only to make the area next to worthless by reupping the Drop In center's lease.

And yet they continue to fail upwards and run a 200M surplus year after year. Is a sports arena a good investment? No. It was never going to be and that's assumed. But it has a whole lot more merit and does a lot more to raise the standard of living for its citizens than a lot of the other bs they've done.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
This demonstrates a horrible misunderstanding of the importance of libraries in civilized society.
300 million on a library makes it more of an art project than a library, I appreciate the shared spaces it has but it probably has one book in it for every $15,000 spent

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This demonstrates a horrible misunderstanding of the importance of libraries in civilized society.

Yes thank God the seniors have a 300M room to sit quietly and stare out the window and junkies a place to sleep off their comedown now. There's plenty of perfectly fine community libraries throughout the city. This isn't Plato founding the Academy in Athens :laugh:

It was very obviously a vanity project. What makes one a "good investment" and the other throwing money down a pit?

Last edited:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

So let calgarians pay for it then

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Aug 3, 2010
It's almost like they're telling on themselves, really. Couldn't say I'm not surprised they don't use the public library.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad