C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In the end, if you are drafting Will Smith top 5, you have a top 5 pick in part because you have a team that is in dire need of a huge skill infusion. And Smith will bring that to your franchise.

Worrying about his 2-way game is fine and all but you are missing the point of what makes him a hell of a player.

That makes sense for a team like San Jose.

But there are bad teams with great playmaking ability and high skill. Zegras and Terry for the Ducks and Gaudreau and Kent Johnson for the Jackets. Will Smith is more of what those teams have.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That makes sense for a team like San Jose.

But there are bad teams with great playmaking ability and high skill. Zegras and Terry for the Ducks and Gaudreau and Kent Johnson for the Jackets. Will Smith is more of what those teams have.
Columbus needs a C. Its a tossup to me on whether they take Smith or Carlsson.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Columbus needs a C. Its a tossup to me on whether they take Smith or Carlsson.
I know there's lots of talk of Smith going to Columbus, but it's really not a tossup, we need Carlsson. We need a defensively responsible center, we already have 2 of Smith on the roster. We need a center who can work down low and do dirty work when needed. That's not Smith.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I know there's lots of talk of Smith going to Columbus, but it's really not a tossup, we need Carlsson. We need a defensively responsible center, we already have 2 of Smith on the roster. We need a center who can work down low and do dirty work when needed. That's not Smith.
CBJ should select whomever of Carlsson/Smith that they feel has higher upside.

Reactions: Monk and The Wizard

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This is overblown. He plays on a stacked line on a stacked team and has carte blanche to do what he wants. He has shown a willingness to adapt as needed and will continue to do so in a year or so of college before he plays in the NHL. Also, let's watch the use of the word "character." He has no character concerns. You can like Carlsson or whoever more but there's a lot of digging deep here. What's next? Wide turns ala Jack Hughes?
Nah just actually studying and breaking down his game. His habits defensively, his tracking and angling all needs major work. It takes time to develop those aspects, he’s not very good in 1v1 defensive situations. I’m not saying there are character concerns, I’m saying knowing the type of kid he is away from the rink and work ethic wise makes a big difference in projecting him long term. None of his deficiencies are related to his talent. But there are some major deficiencies that can hold him back from reaching his true potential. I’m of the belief those things will improve, but you never know. He’s a high end talent but there is risk associated with taking a kid like this.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The problem with saying the bolded is that there are plenty of natural NHL centers you could say that about. Leon Draisaitl, who is the most dominant playoff scorer in the world, comes to mind. Joe Thornton was the same way until he was in his 30’s. Evgeni Malkin is possibly the worst defensive 1st line center out there. There are plenty of guys who made it as NHL centers without being high motor defenders, because being a center is more than positioning in the defensive zone.

You realize how much smaller Smith is vs those guys?
Smith will never have the physical tools those guys have to make him as dominant offensively

It’s really hard to see him as a franchise 1C if his overall game doesn’t see a massive improvement

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If you think they need a C there’s only 1 answer, Carlsson
I think Smith has higher upside /offensive potential. But i also think Carlsson is lower risk.

That said, i do think both will be dynamic players and are sure bets to be top-line centermen.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
This is overblown. He plays on a stacked line on a stacked team and has carte blanche to do what he wants. He has shown a willingness to adapt as needed and will continue to do so in a year or so of college before he plays in the NHL. Also, let's watch the use of the word "character." He has no character concerns. You can like Carlsson or whoever more but there's a lot of digging deep here. What's next? Wide turns ala Jack Hughes?
He had an interview with Everything College Hockey's college hockey podcast came off well personality wise

You realize how much smaller Smith is vs those guys?
Smith will never have the physical tools those guys have to make him as dominant offensively

It’s really hard to see him as a franchise 1C if his overall game doesn’t see a massive improvement
He's still 6'0" its not like he's Logan Cooley height wise

Reactions: SlafySZN

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Smith has higher upside /offensive potential. But i also think Carlsson is lower risk.

That said, i do think both will be dynamic players and are sure bets to be top-line centermen.

Maybe he has, still Carlsson has easily higher 200ft C potential.

Someone you can build around.

How many true franchise 1C’s are there in the league that play like Smith?
Can’t think of any.

Maybe he’ll get there, but he has plenty of work to do

He had an interview with Everything College Hockey's college hockey podcast came off well personality wise

He's still 6'0" its not like he's Logan Cooley height wise

& he has lot of strenghtening to do.

He’s not even close to Drai or Malkin type and never will be

McDavid, Mackinnon, Barkov, Matthews, Pettersson, Drai, Hintz, Thompson, Smith reminds you none of them.
Hughes is getting into superstar tier yet he’s far superior skater than Smith which gives him a massive edge

I don’t consider Aho a true superstar and he’s a superior overall player in comparison to Smith, superior skater with a far better engine.

There just really aren’t smaller franchise C’s whose games are build like Smiths. Far easier to buy him as a superstar winger than franchise C going up against Barkov/Matthews/Thompson and company in the East

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Can’t think of any.

McDavid, Mackinnon, Barkov, Matthews, Pettersson, Drai, Hintz, Thompson, Smith reminds you none of them.
Hughes is getting into superstar tier yet he’s far superior skater than Smith which gives him a massive edge

I don’t consider Aho a true superstar and he’s a superior overall player in comparison to Smith, superior skater with a far better engine.

There just really aren’t smaller franchise C’s whose games are build like Smiths. Far easier to buy him as a superstar winger than franchise C going up against Barkov/Matthews/Thompson and company in the East
They're not franchise 1Cs but why couldn't he become Brayden Point, Trevor Zegras, Robert Thomas or Nick Suzuki? You're not doing much better than that at 3rd/4th overall.

Reactions: RandomTask26

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Can’t think of any.

Will Smith is dynamic with excellent vision and hockey sense. He's good defensively as well. There is really no weakness in his game. He's not small by any means and will grow into his 6ft frame.

After watching Carlsson at the Worlds i was left wanting more. But of course he's playing against men. I see higher offensive potential with Smith than Carlsson. To me its a tossup depending on the makeup of the team drafting. Carlsson has size, good hands and good vision.

You can't go wrong with either.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
As prospects? Smith behind Hughes, despite being more productive, but he’s definitely ahead of where Zegras was ranked. I liked Zegras a lot though and think Smith projects similarly.
Sure he had more total points but Hughes was injured for times in his draft year and produced at a .2 higher ppg off the top of my head as he only played 50

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Smith isn’t in the same stratosphere as Hughes. He isn’t as good as Carlsson and may be isn’t better player on his line. If jackets want to pick center, they should pick Fantilli or Carlsson, if Ducks will pick for consensus.
It’s really interesting will Smith play in Nhl as center or he will play as a wing. He is definitely great playmaker, but you can see how different players like Gaudreau or Bratt or Huberdau can do playmaking job from the wing. On the other hand Leonard can do more defensive and covering job that centers do.

On the other hand I can’t deny the ceiling of Smith. If he will figure it out, he can be special player. He needs to work hard on his flaws to help himself opening and supporting offensive talent he has.

Last edited:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

Was as dinner along with Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson with the sharks.

Seems like he’s the guy Grier will pick.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

Was as dinner along with Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson with the sharks.

Seems like he’s the guy Grier will pick.

To be fair, there are only really 2 guys to consider and it isn't like he could have done the same stuff with the other. Certainly could be leaning that way, but it isn't like he blew the other guy off in favor of Smith, just Smith was the only one to focus on this weekend.

I will say, it is indicative of the Sharks believing there is a true drop off after Smith to guys like Leonard, Reinbacher, and others of that tier.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, there are only really 2 guys to consider and it isn't like he could have done the same stuff with the other. Certainly could be leaning that way, but it isn't like he blew the other guy off in favor of Smith, just Smith was the only one to focus on this weekend.

I will say, it is indicative of the Sharks believing there is a true drop off after Smith to guys like Leonard, Reinbacher, and others of that tier.
They said they’ll talk to Michkov at the draft, but with Grier showing a tendency to get guys he has connections with, it seems inevitable.

another NHL scout told SJHN. “With the Massachusetts stuff, you’re right, Grier and Fitzgerald, Tim Burke of course, if they pass on Will Smith, it won’t be for a lack of information. They’ll have more than anybody.”

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad