C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
BPA always i dont care about size remember when Arizona took Strome over Marner ?

Lol same time
I’m not saying to always take the bigger player. But it’s part of the equation for sure. As is position.

Are you saying Smith will definitely disappoint lime Strome and Benson will succeed like Marner? We don’t really know how they’ll turn out.

It’s not like I dislike Benson. I like both players a lot actually. have Smith ranked 5th and Benson 6th. I’m also a firm believer in BPA but people can disagree so the BPA is.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I’m not saying to always take the bigger player. But it’s part of the equation for sure. As is position.

Are you saying Smith will definitely disappoint lime Strome and Benson will succeed like Marner? We don’t really know how they’ll turn out.

It’s not like I dislike Benson. I like both players a lot actually. have Smith ranked 5th and Benson 6th. I’m also a firm believer in BPA but people can disagree so the BPA is.
well all you said was Smith over Benson because of size and position so thats why i brought up Strome/Marner also that Benson is being compared to Mitch

Smith might be better then Benson ( dont really follow Will ) thats why i was asking but i wont prefer one because hes taller or hes position is what i said

Reactions: BerthMania

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023

Smith plays like hes 5’7 and Benson plays like hes 6’3. I dont think the size (physical) argument even favors Smith (plus hes barely 6’0). Honestly, I dont even know how people still put those two in the same tier. Its the top 4, then Benson, then Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, Smith

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Where’s the “no matter what” part? That’s where your argument turned into a strawman, bud.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Smith. Anyone get to see him against the Steel this past weekend? I see he only had 1 pt in the 2 games and they lost both games but I’m interested to hear how he looked against a top USHL team.

Reactions: majormajor

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Strome over Marner at the time wasn't a bad pick. One player lived up to expectations and the other didn't. It happens every draft and it will continue to happen (any crystal ballers???)

I think Smith has a bigger upside vs Benson

Reactions: Roe Jaynick

carl jung

Mar 11, 2023
These "C over W no matter what" guys are just nauseating.
It made a lot of sense at the time actually, Strome looked like a stud who had all the tools of a 1C, (minus the skating of course) but skating is one thing that can be changed quite substantially if focused on in training. He looked like Ryan Getzlaf with a slightly less of a mean streak in the O. Furthermore, AZ lacked a true 1C and besides the big 2, Strome looked like the best bet at that pick.

when lil Mitch was in the O he looked good but was extremely small and soft, so there was a concern that his skills wouldn’t translate.

There are very strong arguments to be made that Strome looked like he had more potential to be an impact player in the NHL given their raw tools and intangibles

Regardless, each player hasn’t amounted to a whole lot other than some high point seasons so far and playoff shortcomings.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Smith plays like hes 5’7 and Benson plays like hes 6’3. I dont think the size (physical) argument even favors Smith (plus hes barely 6’0). Honestly, I dont even know how people still put those two in the same tier. Its the top 4, then Benson, then Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, Smith
There’s no way you’re serious lol

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Could he somehow go before Carlsson?

Rumor has it Columbus love the guy.

He will put insane numbers in the NCAA next year with Leonard and Perreault at BC.

No, Carlsson is much closer to getting picked 2nd than 4th

& the rumour/guess by Aaron is that they’d love him at 4, the top3 is seen as on their own tier.

Really a tale of 2 tapes.
The 1st 39mins pretty quiet and since then has put his elite hands& vision on use

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Not just the 1-on-5 goal, but several other shifts where Smith just walked the whole Finnish squad. Not Norway, not Latvia - Finland. Heard the small/soft/no-D knocks but not seeing it. That whole line is working on a level above everyone else in Basel.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
The more I watch him the more I think he's going to be a hell of a pick around 5-6.

His skating looks better than I thought it was originally and the puck skills have always been there.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The more I watch him the more I think he's going to be a hell of a pick around 5-6.

His skating looks better than I thought it was originally and the puck skills have always been there.

Wouldnt be surprised if a team picks him 4th over Michkov

Reactions: Toe Pick

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Definitely solidifying himself in the #5 spot rankings wise for me…my feeling is that Michkov is going to slip, potentially far, leaving 4 wide open on draft day.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad