C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Maybe I've just caught the wrong games of him but I've been underwhelmed every time I've seen him play. His defense and motor are questionable and even offensively he's more of a connector of play rather than a driver of play. He undoubtedly is a very skilled player with very good instincts offensively but I've been more impressed by Oliver Moore anytime I watch the U18s.
I see the same things, I have Moore as their best all around player. Smith needs to hit the gym big time, he badly lacks strength and stamina, but if he puts all the efforts, could become a great pts producer in the NHL after some seasoning. In term of strength he is at least 2 yrs away from the NHL.

How do we think Smith compares to Cooley as a prospect? I think most people agree the top four this year would all have gone 1OA last year, but where do we think Smith would have fallen?
Cooley had a fantastic motor while Smith motor is very low. The player who compares the most to Cooley is Moore.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I like Cooley’s game more than Smith’s.
Both have great talent. Smith can be a bit inconsistent with his effort. When I watched Cooley play last year, he looked every bit like a top pick every game he played. Cooley has an absolute phenomenal motor and is always trying to make a play.

Smith is a player with phenomenal skill. But, Cooley is just a better play driver at this point. Cooley is the type of center that truly amplifies his teammates. Will Smith is able to drive play, but sometimes relies too much on his linemates.

That being said, it’s close in terms of who is the better player. Both have great speed, skill, and passing ability.

Just looking at their draft years. I’d draft these players in this order:
1. Logan Cooley
2. Will Smith
3. Ryan Leonard
4. Frank Nazar
5. Oliver Moore
6. Lane Hutson
7. Cutter Gauthier
8. Gabe Perreault
9. Seamus Casey
10. Rutger McGroarty
Smith is an average skater, his foot speed needs alot of work, Cooley was a much better skater.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I know this is kinda off topic but what makes you put Leonard over Nazar and Moore? Other's I can understand.
Leonard all day for me. I’ve seen all three of those players extensively. I love Leonard as a player. He has all the tools you’d want in an NHL player pretty much.

Nazar is a great player. He has a lot of skill and an excellent shot that is really appealing and Moore has great hands, solid motor, and plays a two-way game to complement his ability as a playmaker.

But, I think Leonard has game breaking ability, a great shot, and good hands to go along with his physicality and willingness to go to the hard areas. He’s a complete player and I think he projects really well to being a dynamite top 6 NHL player. There is more risk associated with Nazar and Moore.

Smith is an average skater, his foot speed needs alot of work, Cooley was a much better skater.
When Smith gets moving, he is definitely fast. Every scout has brought up his skating ability as a strength. I will say his motor is one of the biggest problems that may make him seem slow.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Leonard all day for me. I’ve seen all three of those players extensively. I love Leonard as a player. He has all the tools you’d want in an NHL player pretty much.

Nazar is a great player. He has a lot of skill and an excellent shot that is really appealing and Moore has great hands, solid motor, and plays a two-way game to complement his ability as a playmaker.

But, I think Leonard has game breaking ability, a great shot, and good hands to go along with his physicality and willingness to go to the hard areas. He’s a complete player and I think he projects really well to being a dynamite top 6 NHL player. There is more risk associated with Nazar and Moore.

When Smith gets moving, he is definitely fast. Every scout has brought up his skating ability as a strength. I will say his motor is one of the biggest problems that may make him seem slow.
Yep, he can reach good enough top speed once he gets going, but his foot speed is lacking, the first steps are ugly.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think Cooley and Smith are similar type prospects. I think Cooley should have went #1 last year and that shows how good this draft really is. Gun to my head I'd take Cooley over Smith.

I think the entire top 4 last year was/is super close. But I agree I think all 4 go 5 or layer and are close to Smith which is pretty wild.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
i guess his slap shot is top notch?

homelanders.gif

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Gotta love a forward wearing a typical defense #. Looking like another great year for the NTDP.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think people are starting to confuse Will Smith's patience and poise with the puck as a slow skater, low motor.

He has all the offensive tool.

In a recent interview, he says his game is most comparable to David Pastrnak.

Brillian prospect, not only does he have one of the best ICE-Q in this draft, he has the hands and vision to support it.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think people are starting to confuse Will Smith's patience and poise with the puck as a slow skater, low motor.

Brillian prospect, not only does he have one of the best ICE-Q in this draft, he has the hands and vision to support it.

Astute point. It's classic HF binary evaluation.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

I get where you are coming from but he for sure lacks motor at times. It’s not a huge issue. It’s just his style of play. He’s definitely not slow by any means. Skating is not a concern for me with his game at all and he absolutely has all the skills you’d want in a top 5 pick.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's the same caliber player as Cooley IMO and I think Cooley should have went #1 overall last year. This draft is absolutely stacked for forwards.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Reactions: Kcoyote3

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
After a 4 point game against Green Bay yesterday, Smith is at the 2 points per game mark on the season (88 points in 44 games). :amazed::propeller
Any idea how this season stacks up historically in terms of The Program? Wasn´t it Keller that owns the record for most points in a season? I am reading that he had 107 points in 62 GP in 15-16. Which is a 1.7 PPG. Seems like a REALLY impressive season from the Fresh Prince.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad