C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Maybe I've just caught the wrong games of him but I've been underwhelmed every time I've seen him play. His defense and motor are questionable and even offensively he's more of a connector of play rather than a driver of play. He undoubtedly is a very skilled player with very good instincts offensively but I've been more impressed by Oliver Moore anytime I watch the U18s.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I still have Dvorsky at 5, but Will Smith is easily a top 5 talent in this draft. If Habs can draft him at 5-6 range, that will be amazing.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Anaheim will draft him at #5 or #6 after the lottery screws them over.
He will be known as the Fresh Prince of Anaheim who has a nasty SLAP shot.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Maybe I've just caught the wrong games of him but I've been underwhelmed every time I've seen him play. His defense and motor are questionable and even offensively he's more of a connector of play rather than a driver of play. He undoubtedly is a very skilled player with very good instincts offensively but I've been more impressed by Oliver Moore anytime I watch the U18s.
Not an unreasonable take. I know some who think Moore is the best prospect on the team. They do have different styles, that's for sure.

Interestingly, the latest Bob McKenzie list has a pretty flattering comment about Smith, who is No. 6.

1674571991597.png

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I don’t really agree for the defensive side, i think he’s pretty good. His motor does seems a little low but because he has such high IQ i see it as he’s always in the best spots and knows where to be at all times so it looks like he is not working as hard but it’s not the case.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Very very cerebral player which means his bust risk is much lower than most.

Lots of scout pegging this guy to be the smartest ICE-Q player in this draft class but his motor and explosiveness is average at best.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This model seems a bit low on USHL production
Yeah, just from a quick look at the "top all time" numbers, I would have guessed it's a bit low on USHL production, and a bit high on Liiga production.

Liiga especially stands out, the Liiga players here are basically universally super-disappointing if you go by NHLe:
- Granlund (6th best draft year NHLe of any prospect since 2004)
- Kakko (10th)
- Laine (12th)
- Pulju (25th)
- Kemell (31st)
- Lundell (33rd)

Obviously too early to say how good Kemell and Lundell end up, but likely nowhere remotely close to the 30ish best player drafted from 2004-2022. Having the 33rd best NHLe over 19 drafts means that Lundell would rank 1.7th place in an average draft by NHLe, somewhere between 1st and 2nd overall, and he and Kemell were nowhere close to 2nd overall picks in their draft years.

Kakko, Laine and Pulju are the only ones drafted around where their NHLe suggests (Kakko and Laine have ~1st overall NHLe and were taken 2nd, Pulju ~1st-2nd overall NHLe and take 4th), but they've all been disappointing picks (Laine a bit disappointing, Kakko/Pulju very disappointing).

Will be interesting to see if this analysis agrees, over a larger sample size:

Last edited:

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
This is what I love about scouting and draft prospects. There is rarely unanimity and even the comment in the McKenzie column is hedged. It just says "many scouts" -- not all.
True. And I shouldn't say "without a doubt", It's just when I watch Michkov he is always a step ahead of everyone else, he's got brains like I almost haven't seen before in a prospect. But McKenzie's scouts know a lot more about these guys than me

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
True. And I shouldn't say "without a doubt", It's just when I watch Michkov he is always a step ahead of everyone else, he's got brains like I almost haven't seen before in a prospect. But McKenzie's scouts know a lot more about these guys than me
I'm sure if more scouts were able to watch Michkov live this year, they might offer a different view. I know all the teams have scouts in Russia, but there hasn't been as many viewings of him as there usually would be.

I took note of the comparison Craig Button made to Soviet great Valeri Kharlamov, who was so talented and so smart Team Canada had no antidote for him in the 1972 Summit Series -- that is until Bobby Clarke fractured a bone in Kharlamov's ankle with a two-handed slash in Game 6. Kharlamov missed Game 7 of the series and returned for Game 8, but wasn't nearly as effective.

BTW, Serge Savard said Kharlamov was one of the top five players of all time.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
How do we think Smith compares to Cooley as a prospect? I think most people agree the top four this year would all have gone 1OA last year, but where do we think Smith would have fallen?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
How do we think Smith compares to Cooley as a prospect? I think most people agree the top four this year would all have gone 1OA last year, but where do we think Smith would have fallen?
Generally in the 5-8 Range IMO. I think Cooley and Smith have different skill sets. One is a pure dynamic offensive dyno and the other is more of a 2 way C. I have him in the same group with Dlvorsky, Benson and Cristall

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I like Cooley’s game more than Smith’s.
Both have great talent. Smith can be a bit inconsistent with his effort. When I watched Cooley play last year, he looked every bit like a top pick every game he played. Cooley has an absolute phenomenal motor and is always trying to make a play.

Smith is a player with phenomenal skill. But, Cooley is just a better play driver at this point. Cooley is the type of center that truly amplifies his teammates. Will Smith is able to drive play, but sometimes relies too much on his linemates.

That being said, it’s close in terms of who is the better player. Both have great speed, skill, and passing ability.

Just looking at their draft years. I’d draft these players in this order:
1. Logan Cooley
2. Will Smith
3. Ryan Leonard
4. Frank Nazar
5. Oliver Moore
6. Lane Hutson
7. Cutter Gauthier
8. Gabe Perreault
9. Seamus Casey
10. Rutger McGroarty

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I like Cooley’s game more than Smith’s.
Both have great talent. Smith can be a bit inconsistent with his effort. When I watched Cooley play last year, he looked every bit like a top pick every game he played. Cooley has an absolute phenomenal motor and is always trying to make a play.

Smith is a player with phenomenal skill. But, Cooley is just a better play driver at this point. Cooley is the type of center that truly amplifies his teammates. Will Smith is able to drive play, but sometimes relies too much on his linemates.

That being said, it’s close in terms of who is the better player. Both have great speed, skill, and passing ability.

Just looking at their draft years. I’d draft these players in this order:
1. Logan Cooley
2. Will Smith
3. Ryan Leonard
4. Frank Nazar
5. Oliver Moore
6. Lane Hutson
7. Cutter Gauthier
8. Gabe Perreault
9. Seamus Casey
10. Rutger McGroarty
I know this is kinda off topic but what makes you put Leonard over Nazar and Moore? Other's I can understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad