C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
he looked good but hes gotta get a lot stronger on his feet (obv hes gonna bulk up as he ages) and simplify his game

tried to dangle a bit too much at times instead of making a simple play or passing it off

still impressive debut

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I'm gonna think the same about Kotka. Tonight he showed his IQ on both sides on the ice, will be similar to Barkov.

To me he looks different from Barkov in that he wants his passes to be pretty and flashy as well as effective. His saucer passes are really beautiful. Barkov is more pragmatic (his penalty shots ofcourse are something else).

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I really need to dig those posts I made before the draft where I did not understand why people said he was less ready for the NHL than the other top ranked forwards. Guy just looked like a stud in the videos avalaible and really looked like an NHL players. I think too often people only repeat what they’ve read about a guy.

Steady riser for me during his draft year, had him in the top10 midseason before I have seen him there on any other list, continued climbing during the rest of the season, consolidated his rise to #3 after his impressive play I have seen of him in the WJC18. Pretty glad with my read thus far (obviously too soon to tell but good signs so far).

Not sure what some scouting agencies were thinking, it puzzled me and made me double doubt myself every time Kotka impress me with his play.
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #16 by ISS Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #13 by Future Considerations
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #8 by Hockeyprospect.com
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #13 by McKeen's Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #5 by TSN/McKenzie
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by NHL Central Scouting EU

Those rankings were the main reason why many were doubtful of him probably (particularly in regard to being selected 3rd overall). People base their opinions on those lists, they don't really formulate an opinion for themselves since many don't actually watch the prospects play.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
A bit more of a quiet game than what he had in the preseason, but he was effective in all facets and got a point so should be pleased with that.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Not an easy first game against team that has one of the best center depth in the league. He did well considering everything and I'm glad he got a point for his effort tonight.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
whenever he was on the ice the puck followed him. He was clearly nervous at the start but even then, he didn't make any mistakes. His hockey IQ is ridiculous. I'm so excited for him.

I want him to go back to Finland after 9 games but if he keeps this up he's going to spend the whole season here and probably put up 45-50 points. I still think the only thing he really needs to work on is bulking up, and I think he'd be better off in Finland for that where they play less games, but if he can handle this and not get pushed around, he'll be fine.

really, really excited about Kotkaniemi. Finally looking like we're working on that center problem we've had for over a decade.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Steady riser for me during his draft year, had him in the top10 midseason before I have seen him there on any other list, continued climbing during the rest of the season, consolidated his rise to #3 after his impressive play I have seen of him in the WJC18. Pretty glad with my read thus far (obviously too soon to tell but good signs so far).

Not sure what some scouting agencies were thinking, it puzzled me and made me double doubt myself every time Kotka impress me with his play.
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #16 by ISS Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #13 by Future Considerations
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #8 by Hockeyprospect.com
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #13 by McKeen's Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #5 by TSN/McKenzie
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #6 by NHL Central Scouting EU

Those rankings were the main reason why many were doubtful of him probably (particularly in regard to being selected 3rd overall). People base their opinions on those lists, they don't really formulate an opinion for themselves since many don't actually watch the prospects play.

people should stop taking these rankings seriously and just use them as mere references. Any one teams NHL scouting team has more resources then any one individual of those scouting blogs/ services/ free lancers. It's just more or less a rough guide line of who a player might be ranked, and their own opinion.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The impressive part with him from the start is that he wants the puck, and wants to keep the puck.
He's not looking to get away from it.

Some impressive defensive plays as well.

Not exactly the easiest start to your career to go on the road against 2 franchise C's.

Last edited:

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
My observations from last night:

Negatives: He needs to add a lot of strength. He fell over a lot (got up and back into the play quickly, though) and and lost basically every physical battle (he did compensate for this by effective stick checking, however that won't be enough in the long term). Was a bit uncomfortable with NHL-level speed in the first period, looked better in the last two. Sometimes tried a fancy play, when a simple one would have sufficed(nothing outrageous, though). Also, he needs to work on faceoffs.

Positives: It's uncanny how often loose pucks just seem to find him, speaks to his positioning, which was excellent both offensively and defensively. Effective forechecking and on the boards digging out pucks despite his current physical limitations. His passing was fine, though Drouin had a poor game and trouble finding open space for himself.

In summary a good first game, however I'm still hesitant to keep him in the NHL all season. Clearly has the skills for it, but he really, really needs to build strength and work on faceoffs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Kotki....not saying he can maintain that pace as smallish 18 year old this year, but he sure looked good last night. Might have been the right selection at # 3 last June.

Domi was very impressive too. Interesting that Alzner was scratched.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Not a great debut. It was ok. You can easily tell he needs to bulk up and gain confidence and that will only happen over time. I still think he will return to Finland after 9 games

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Very calm with the puck and won a lot of pucks to his tape. Had he scored a goal it would've been a perfect debut. Considering he went against AM and JT it was close to perfect.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Not a great debut. It was ok. You can easily tell he needs to bulk up and gain confidence and that will only happen over time. I still think he will return to Finland after 9 games

You know he was playing against Tavares Matthews Marner and Kadri last night right?

I disagree with the previous poster as well, Kotkaniemi was great yesterday but MTL best forward yesterday was Domi, he was flying on the ice.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
A bit more of a quiet game than what he had in the preseason, but he was effective in all facets and got a point so should be pleased with that.

Didn't see the game, but happy to read he was good. However, FO% at 14% is not an acceptable stat for a top 2 center, even against Matthews/Tavares/Kadri. Fortunately, FO skills is something eminently teachable (see Crosby, Matthews, etc)... Hopefully they will ask Plekanec to show him a few tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad