C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Man his resemblance to a young Yannic is crazy close

1688140296941.png

2023 U18 MWC | Gabe Perreault

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I dont fully understand how he is ”steal” after 32 teams pro scouting departments observe him full time through season and as a result he is as low as he is in every teams list? As if he would fly under someones radar after he has just broken Matthews all time record.
Was Jason Robertson a steal? Sometimes guys go later than they should. The draft is not an exact science.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I dont fully understand how he is ”steal” after 32 teams pro scouting departments observe him full time through season and as a result he is as low as he is in every teams list? As if he would fly under someones radar after he has just broken Matthews all time record.

Then you can never have a steal in the first few rounds.

Reactions: pld459666

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Happens every year, especially to talented wingers. Teams get wrapped up in their "needs" and skilled players drop a number of spots.

Perreault is not an outstanding skater, but if he improves his edges he might indeed end up a steal.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Are you serious?

Yea you are right, there are never steals and scouts are never wrong :facepalm:

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Holy “appeal to authority” Batman!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Guy reminds me of Elias Pettersson with his vision and craftiness. Not necessarily the skating/defensive side of Petey, but the ability to make everyone around him better offensively. Some of his plays are really just 200 IQ level of anticipation and deception.

Really like this guy. His skating definitely is a concern, but he isn’t a slow poke. A good skating coach and he’ll be awesome.

You guys got a good one.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

People base the steal/reach labels on arbitrary rankings by non-scouts. It's a weird thing.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
People base the steal/reach labels on arbitrary rankings by non-scouts. It's a weird thing.
Is it really a weird thing? How else are people suppose to define “steals/reaches”? Literally nobody here has watched all these players enough to form any real opinions, not any more than the scouting services who rank the players.

If the majority if these services or legit people like Mckenzie have a player ranked 8-12, and he gets picked 22-26, then yea people are going to they the player was a steal where he was picked based on that.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Is it really a weird thing? How else are people suppose to define “steals/reaches”? Literally nobody here has watched all these players enough to form any real opinions, not any more than the scouting services who rank the players.

If the majority if these services or legit people like Mckenzie have a player ranked 8-12, and he gets picked 22-26, then yea people are going to they the player was a steal where he was picked based on that.
Exactly. And while the people we read might not be scouts employed by teams, they have spent a considerable amount of time researching these prospects and in many cases consulting with scouts to form their rankings. To label the rankings as "arbitrary" is a gross misrepresentation of the rankings done by many of the prospect analysts. And we all know of teams reaching for players far from where their consensus ranking places them. That is much more arbitrary than the rankings we read.

And for the record, I'd label Perreault as a "steal." I wish the Hawks took him at 19. I drafted him in my fantasy league at pick 17.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Sorry, my point was more how much emphasis people put into those rankings, and simultaneously looking at it in a very black-and-white way.

A steal isn't always a good thing. A reach isn't always a bad thing.

A player can drop and be considered a steal but why does the player "drop"? Why are scouts not as high on a player as the reporters/tv personalities who put rankings together?

Example: Joe Veleno was considered a steal, Moritz Seider was a huge reach.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
And Debrincat was considered and has proven to be a steal and Filip Johansson was considered and was a reach. Collectively, who is better at ranking and projecting prospects- teams or prospect analysts? All fans have to go on are rankings and draft results.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry, my point was more how much emphasis people put into those rankings, and simultaneously looking at it in a very black-and-white way.

A steal isn't always a good thing. A reach isn't always a bad thing.

A player can drop and be considered a steal but why does the player "drop"? Why are scouts not as high on a player as the reporters/tv personalities who put rankings together?

So what then do people not comment ever on whether players are steals or reaches on a *checks notes* hockey message board? It's like the people that invariably say "I won't grade this draft until 5 years down the line".

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So what then do people not comment ever on whether players are steals or reaches on a *checks notes* hockey message board? It's like the people that invariably say "I won't grade this draft until 5 years down the line".

As usual, you completely miss the point of what I'm saying.

Listing someone a steal or reach is fine. I'm arguing against what those words mean. But go on, misinterpret what I am saying. That's your niche.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As usual, you completely miss the point of what I'm saying.

Listing someone a steal or reach is fine. I'm arguing against what those words mean. But go on, misinterpret what I am saying. That's your niche.

You ok dude? I'm having a conversation and you're being somewhat aggressive for no reason.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Easiest thing to improve at the next level is skating and it's his only weakness. If he turns into an average skater he's PPG potential... Flyers Bonked on their second pick

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
The mayor, one of the Kings reporters, tweeted it.
I am sure the Kings were trying to move up considering they were picking late in the 2nd round. That would have been an incredible move up that many places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad