C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It will puzzle stat watchers but he may drop.. Only takes one team to fall in love with a player who’s skilled though…. but he gets knocked off the puck pretty easily. He needs more space to get his game going. That’s not the greatest sign.

Doesn’t mean he is a bad player or won’t translate. He’s got a lot of room to grow his game and he’s skilled. Just means teams may question how he translates.

Reactions: Kupo

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
It will puzzle stat watchers but he may drop.. Only takes one team to fall in love with a player who’s skilled though…. but he gets knocked off the puck pretty easily. He needs more space to get his game going. That’s not the greatest sign.

Doesn’t mean he is a bad player or won’t translate. He’s got a lot of room to grow his game and he’s skilled. Just means teams may question how he translates.

on the contrary, I think people are higher and higher on him from watching him play more and more, regardless of what the stats say

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
on the contrary, I think people are higher and higher on him from watching him play more and more, regardless of what the stats say
His last two games have been terrible. He looked invisible against Czechia, and clearly the third best player on his line against Slovakia. Lets see how he looks against Sweden in the Gold medal game. Also as soon as the game tightened up in the second against Slovakia he disappeared and was a turnover machine.

Reactions: Petes2424

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
His last two games have been terrible. He looked invisible against Czechia, and clearly the third best player on his line against Slovakia. Lets see how he looks against Sweden in the Gold medal game. Also as soon as the game tightened up in the second against Slovakia he disappeared and was a turnover machine.

At no point did the game against Slovakia even remotely tighten up. Game was over less than a minute into the second period.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He put up a ton of points but I don't think the tournament will do anything to quell the concerns from the scouting community; it just reinforced them. His size, skating, and shot are average, and he's easily knocked off the puck. He's got a ton of skill, no doubt, and it can be easy to marvel at his offensive IQ, passing, and playmaking. But there are really valid concerns on how he'll produce when things tighten up and there's less open ice to work with.

He should definitely go first round. But I imagine if you looked at the rankings from the NHL teams, he'd have one of the widest ranges on where he might land. I wouldn't be surprised to see him produce in the NHL. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the talented guys who's always near the top of the AHL scoring list but can never make it full-time in the NHL.

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He put up a ton of points but I don't think the tournament will do anything to quell the concerns from the scouting community; it just reinforced them. His size, skating, and shot are average, and he's easily knocked off the puck. He's got a ton of skill, no doubt, and it can be easy to marvel at his offensive IQ, passing, and playmaking. But there are really valid concerns on how he'll produce when things tighten up and there's less open ice to work with.

He should definitely go first round. But I imagine if you looked at the rankings from the NHL teams, he'd have one of the widest ranges on where he might land. I wouldn't be surprised to see him produce in the NHL. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the talented guys who's always near the top of the AHL scoring list but can never make it full-time in the NHL.
Feels like He’s the Brisson of this draft

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think my biggest issue was he'd often be fancy for the sake of it. I don't know if there's a sense of purpose behind a lot of what he does, vs. Smith where every skill move has a deliberate reason for its attempted execution and a branch of plays to make if he does execute it, or reads off the defender.

Reactions: Wats

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There’s little things managers/scouts actually see as big things, and should. Like driving a line, or carrying a pair for a dman. It’s what separates 1st from 2nd and 3rd rounders. He’s just too dependent on his line mates most of the time. We’ve seen others in the program who overcome this and take charge more when they move on to college, etc, so it won’t be held against him a ton BUT it will effect where he goes in the draft. For example, we should now be shocked if he’s taken ahead of Stenberg. Who once again proved he can drive the ship out there.

I think he’s probably still a 1st rounder but it’s likely between 25-32. People also have to remember, that’s the area of the round where teams start looking for dmen to “over-draft” too. That will be especially the case this year with a lack of core types at the top of the draft. A kid like Willinder did a lot for himself in the tournament. While Dragicevic probably didn’t do himself any help, but guarantee managers will overlook more from him, than a Gabe Perreault.

Teams are just much more willing to overlook some things with dmen, than wingers. That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if he fell out of the 1st round… getting lost in the shuffle so to speak.

I’m trying not to rip on him because he’s a talented kid, and he will gain strength, but he’s the perfect example of not watching stats. Which we know is what 75% of people on here do. Gabe reminds me a lot of Tomas Tatar at 16-17. You knew he needed the core strength and that was the only question saying he might not play in the NHL unless he gets there physically. Gabe is kind of the same. He has NHL talent obviously but for him it’s all going to be about that core strength. If he’s getting knocked off the puck like he was in an under 18 tournament, it is a little bit of a concern.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
But could just as easily see it the other way, you can see a lot of skill and hockey IQ and level yourself into him developing on his weaknesses in college and once he hits the pros and being a big point producer in the NHL to make him a worthy mid-1st gamble based on upside. It's not as if he's an overager putting up some points in the Quebec league. His name is amongst there with a lot of greats at the USNDTP level. The D out of Canada and USA are weak this year, so it's hard to really justify too many as over-drafting.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
There’s little things managers/scouts actually see as big things, and should. Like driving a line, or carrying a pair for a dman. It’s what separates 1st from 2nd and 3rd rounders. He’s just too dependent on his line mates most of the time. We’ve seen others in the program who overcome this and take charge more when they move on to college, etc, so it won’t be held against him a ton BUT it will effect where he goes in the draft. For example, we should now be shocked if he’s taken ahead of Stenberg. Who once again proved he can drive the ship out there.

I think he’s probably still a 1st rounder but it’s likely between 25-32. People also have to remember, that’s the area of the round where teams start looking for dmen to “over-draft” too. That will be especially the case this year with a lack of core types at the top of the draft. A kid like Willinder did a lot for himself in the tournament. While Dragicevic probably didn’t do himself any help, but guarantee managers will overlook more from him, than a Gabe Perreault.

Teams are just much more willing to overlook some things with dmen, than wingers. That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if he fell out of the 1st round… getting lost in the shuffle so to speak.

I’m trying not to rip on him because he’s a talented kid, and he will gain strength, but he’s the perfect example of not watching stats. Which we know is what 75% of people on here do. Gabe reminds me a lot of Tomas Tatar at 16-17. You knew he needed the core strength and that was the only question saying he might not play in the NHL unless he gets there physically. Gabe is kind of the same. He has NHL talent obviously but for him it’s all going to be about that core strength. If he’s getting knocked off the puck like he was in an under 18 tournament, it is a little bit of a concern.
You shouldn't hold it against Perreault that he plays with a likely top 5 pick. This type of thinking is what leads to, or contributes to, someone like Jimmy Snuggerud going 10 spots lower than he should have.

You mention stat watching, but Perreault makes high level plays with the puck and makes Smith a better player too. It is far from a situation where Perreault is leeching points from his linemates. Even if he can't drive an NHL line, which I wouldn't say with 100% certainty, having the ability to mesh with high end players is an asset within itself.

You compare Perrault to Stenberg, but Stenberg's been attached to the hip of Edstrom all year who takes care of the primary defensive responsibilities. Stenberg had a good U18 tournament, but I've seen games of his J20 where he does nothing for 30 minutes then just gets one grade A and it's in the back of the net. He certainly has a lethal shot and can bury, but to act like Stenberg's dominating play at all times is something I can't agree with. Easier for Perreault to rack up points when you play on a stacked team, but Frolunda was a 1st place team too in J20.

Also disagree on Drag, but that's a whole other argument. His concerns are very real IMO, and not something to just shrug off.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
He needs to completely dedicate his next development stage to his skating. He has the hockey sense, touch and shot to make for an elite player. If he can become a better skater, other parts of his game will improve as well. He’ll get stronger on his feet, be better in the corners, be able to drive to the outside more, etc. He should spend an entire summer with Francois Methot like Tuch did and he’ll really take another step

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You shouldn't hold it against Perreault that he plays with a likely top 5 pick. This type of thinking is what leads to, or contributes to, someone like Jimmy Snuggerud going 10 spots lower than he should have.

You mention stat watching, but Perreault makes high level plays with the puck and makes Smith a better player too. It is far from a situation where Perreault is leeching points from his linemates. Even if he can't drive an NHL line, which I wouldn't say with 100% certainty, having the ability to mesh with high end players is an asset within itself.

You compare Perrault to Stenberg, but Stenberg's been attached to the hip of Edstrom all year who takes care of the primary defensive responsibilities. Stenberg had a good U18 tournament, but I've seen games of his J20 where he does nothing for 30 minutes then just gets one grade A and it's in the back of the net. He certainly has a lethal shot and can bury, but to act like Stenberg's dominating play at all times is something I can't agree with. Easier for Perreault to rack up points when you play on a stacked team, but Frolunda was a 1st place team too in J20.

Also disagree on Drag, but that's a whole other argument. His concerns are very real IMO, and not something to just shrug off.
As for Drag, like I said, managers will excuse some faults to overdraft a dman. Always do. That’s why you always see so many dmen over-drafted.

He has a lot of Jared McIssac in him. For me, always solid picks in mid to late 2nd, into the 3rd round. He will be an NHL player. Might not be for 4-5 years, but he has the tools. Just don’t think he did himself any help in the tournament. He can go anywhere from 15-45. He’s very bland. Does everything well but nothing great.

A team like Pittsburgh at 14th, who’s weakness is dmen in their system, may convince themselves they can develop him to be great at 2-3 things. If teams don’t believe that, he’ll be just like McIssac and drop to around 40th. They know he’ll play 200+ NHL games, but likely won’t start until he’s 23-25, and only be a good, solid role player.

This year, we probably won’t see these “Safe Picks” until Round 3, instead of Round 2. Drag is RH though, so I can’t see him dropping to the 3rd Round. I can’t see him getting past where Detroit has the 3 picks in a row around 40th.

As for GP, like I said, I don’t wanna sound like I’m ripping on him. He’s a very talented and skilled kid. The comparison I made to Stenberg was based on two things. Position and ability to carry play. Two major things deciding 1st Round picks. Especially in this draft where we have deeper NHL skills.

It’s just the way things are though... GP is a winger, he’s not big, his frame questions if he will ever be able to gain the core strength needed, he doesn’t carry a line, and he does get pushed around some by his own peer group.

So when managers are sitting at 20 let’s say, making every excuse in the books (in their own mind) to draft a dman or pivot, it’s smaller wingers who suffer, and drop. It won’t be Barlow, Wood or Honzek who drop. It will be the 150-160 pound wingers. If I’m drafting at 20 and need wingers badly in my system, and it’s between Wood and GP, I’m taking Wood. Most teams would too. They know Wood will 100% play over 200 NHL games. We honestly don’t know if GP will ever play in the NHL. He should but we don’t know. His measurements, especially his calf and thigh measurements, will be huge for teams deciding if they’d take him in the 1st Round.

Look at Berggren a few years ago. It’s why he fell to the 2nd. Very skilled but smaller. He was lanky for his size like GP. He’s now an NHL wing because he gained that core strength. To the point he’s a truck out there in the corners. Even at his size. But he did drop because of this.

It’s why I always preach against stat watchers. Not only are stats very misleading on how a player will translate to the NHL, or even the AHL, they’re still only 17-18 years old. Another fact a lot of fans seem to forget. 90% of the players drafted every year, won’t be that same player come 22-24 years old.

If you go back, I don’t know, about 15 years, look at Tyler Maxwell. As it was my last year, he would’ve been 91’ birth year I’m pretty certain. So 2009 draft I believe…... Lots of GP in Tyler. Very similar player. Tyler was never even drafted, and he was a little bigger. Didn’t have the same wheels but very similar game. Tyler went to LA and Minnesota camps but never whiffed an ELC. Last I seen he was playing in Switzerland I think.

So teams make excuses not to draft small framed players. Maxwell tried everything imaginable to gain strength but just couldn’t. Just look at what type of players are in, and coming soon to the Atlantic Division right now. I can’t see any of those teams taking GP in the 1st Round. If they take a smaller player in the first round, that kid will have that core strength already, or already be gaining it over the last year. That division is going to be big, fast and strong for the next ten years.

I’ll say again. I’m not ripping him. This is what happens though. He’s not a Caulfield. His frame says “be careful.” Much like it does with the one Russian dman, who likely drops too. Where in comparison, a kid like ASP already has good core strength, so his size isn’t such a big concern. Even as a dman.

I’ll stand by saying, he is still a likely 1st Rounder. Just thinks it’ll be closer to 25OA than 10OA, and he won’t be on a lot of team’s draft boards as a 1st rounder. So nobody should be surprised at all, if he drops to 35-45th overall.

I’m all for admitting being wrong about a player. Wouldn’t be the first time, but this is how things work. The difference between a skilled player drafted 15th-32nd overall, and players usually drafted in the 2nd or even 3rd round, are these things I mentioned. Ability to carry a line, position, size/strength, inside/outside player, and a couple other things. Unfortunately for Gabe, he doesn’t win out on those subjects.

Reactions: Kupo

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
As for Drag, like I said, managers will excuse some faults to overdraft a dman. Always do. That’s why you always see so many dmen over-drafted.

He has a lot of Jared McIssac in him. For me, always solid picks in mid to late 2nd, into the 3rd round. He will be an NHL player. Might not be for 4-5 years, but he has the tools. Just don’t think he did himself any help in the tournament. He can go anywhere from 15-45. He’s very bland. Does everything well but nothing great.

A team like Pittsburgh at 14th, who’s weakness is dmen in their system, may convince themselves they can develop him to be great at 2-3 things. If teams don’t believe that, he’ll be just like McIssac and drop to around 40th. They know he’ll play 200+ NHL games, but likely won’t start until he’s 23-25, and only be a good, solid role player.

This year, we probably won’t see these “Safe Picks” until Round 3, instead of Round 2. Drag is RH though, so I can’t see him dropping to the 3rd Round. I can’t see him getting past where Detroit has the 3 picks in a row around 40th.

As for GP, like I said, I don’t wanna sound like I’m ripping on him. He’s a very talented and skilled kid. The comparison I made to Stenberg was based on two things. Position and ability to carry play. Two major things deciding 1st Round picks. Especially in this draft where we have deeper NHL skills.

It’s just the way things are though... GP is a winger, he’s not big, his frame questions if he will ever be able to gain the core strength needed, he doesn’t carry a line, and he does get pushed around some by his own peer group.

So when managers are sitting at 20 let’s say, making every excuse in the books (in their own mind) to draft a dman or pivot, it’s smaller wingers who suffer, and drop. It won’t be Barlow, Wood or Honzek who drop. It will be the 150-160 pound wingers. If I’m drafting at 20 and need wingers badly in my system, and it’s between Wood and GP, I’m taking Wood. Most teams would too. They know Wood will 100% play over 200 NHL games. We honestly don’t know if GP will ever play in the NHL. He should but we don’t know. His measurements, especially his calf and thigh measurements, will be huge for teams deciding if they’d take him in the 1st Round.

Look at Berggren a few years ago. It’s why he fell to the 2nd. Very skilled but smaller. He was lanky for his size like GP. He’s now an NHL wing because he gained that core strength. To the point he’s a truck out there in the corners. Even at his size. But he did drop because of this.

It’s why I always preach against stat watchers. Not only are stats very misleading on how a player will translate to the NHL, or even the AHL, they’re still only 17-18 years old. Another fact a lot of fans seem to forget. 90% of the players drafted every year, won’t be that same player come 22-24 years old.

If you go back, I don’t know, about 15 years, look at Tyler Maxwell. As it was my last year, he would’ve been 91’ birth year I’m pretty certain. So 2009 draft I believe…... Lots of GP in Tyler. Very similar player. Tyler was never even drafted, and he was a little bigger. Didn’t have the same wheels but very similar game. Tyler went to LA and Minnesota camps but never whiffed an ELC. Last I seen he was playing in Switzerland I think.

So teams make excuses not to draft small framed players. Maxwell tried everything imaginable to gain strength but just couldn’t. Just look at what type of players are in, and coming soon to the Atlantic Division right now. I can’t see any of those teams taking GP in the 1st Round. If they take a smaller player in the first round, that kid will have that core strength already, or already be gaining it over the last year. That division is going to be big, fast and strong for the next ten years.

I’ll say again. I’m not ripping him. This is what happens though. He’s not a Caulfield. His frame says “be careful.” Much like it does with the one Russian dman, who likely drops too. Where in comparison, a kid like ASP already has good core strength, so his size isn’t such a big concern. Even as a dman.

I’ll stand by saying, he is still a likely 1st Rounder. Just thinks it’ll be closer to 25OA than 10OA, and he won’t be on a lot of team’s draft boards as a 1st rounder. So nobody should be surprised at all, if he drops to 35-45th overall.

I’m all for admitting being wrong about a player. Wouldn’t be the first time, but this is how things work. The difference between a skilled player drafted 15th-32nd overall, and players usually drafted in the 2nd or even 3rd round, are these things I mentioned. Ability to carry a line, position, size/strength, inside/outside player, and a couple other things. Unfortunately for Gabe, he doesn’t win out on those subjects.
Re Drag - I don't see the McIssac comp at all personally. I love Dragicevic's vision and ability to make plays in the o zone. Top notch hockey sense. It's almost Adam Fox like which is tremendous praise. It's his skating that gives me hesitation. His first steps from a stand still is plain bad. His stride is fairly ugly. Add to fact he looks clunky and he's often lost in the defensive zone, I see a player with a lot of risk straight busting. But if I were choosing someone to run my powerplay, he'd be near the top of the list.

Re Perreault - I have no idea who Tyler Maxwell. Considering he went undrafted and was a marginal coast player, I highly doubt that is a relevant comp.

Based on the posts on this web site, it seems like the stat watchers who assume Perreault is a product of Smith and it's the folks who actually watch him that really like him. Lots of good options this year so it wouldn't surprise me if Perreault goes in the 20's. GMs may prefer the safety of a Colby Barlow type. But when I think about Perrault's game - he's got the hands to score 20-30 goals a year and the vision/hockey sense to be a 50 assist type. That's a 75 point player and how many drafts is that not a top 15 player? And I wouldn't doubt Perreault being better than that in the right situation.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

How do you know so much about these kids’ core strengths?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Maxwell was small player who never hit ppg in WHL until he was 20. That isn’t profile of player who gets drafted high, especially 15 years ago. He has basically zero relevance to Perrault who had historical season and starred at u18.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
idno if i'd call him a steal but i'm happy with the pick, the risk/reward value seems to be appropriate at 23.

i'll qualify this with the only hockey i've seen of him was the u18's, and i wasn't watching with a focus on him or anyone else on the ice, but he was a guy i did come away impressed with. i'm a little confused by the degree of skating concerns, he looked to be getting around pretty good to me and was involved in the play all over the ice. like i said i wasn't focusing on him or his skating so that's just a general impression of his game, but even taking a look at a few clips now i don't see major concerns. he's not the most explosive nor does he have a beautiful stride, but i see a guy who i'd expect to be just fine as he adds strength. i do remember noticing him making a number of plays down low in the d zone to jumpstart breakouts and creating turnovers too. on the other side, those are nice plays i noticed, and given i wasn't focusing on him there may have been some poor plays/decisions i never picked up on because there was no harm done.

hockey iq can overcome a ton of skating deficiencies anyway. there's a lot of tweener guys who don't make it in the nhl that people point to skating as why. i think the bigger issue in most of those cases is actually the speed of their processor....the pace of the nhl game is just too fast for them, and then they don't have the speed to buy more time. but adam fox is a guy that has poor skating, no size, and below average strength....yet he's a top 3-5 d in the league, and that is solely because of his brain. idno where perrault falls in relation to fox in hockey iq, but if its anywhere even close, i don't think his skating is going to prove prohibitive at all.

he might end up a tweener, obviously that's the risk. but i love the risk/reward value at 23, especially on a guy known for his hockey iq. after a couple years to develop physically, will find out what pace that hockey iq can handle processing at.

Ad

Ad

Ad