C/W Elmer Söderblom - Frölunda HC, SWE JRs (2019, 159th, DET)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I still dont know what to think his NHL potential is, but at his age to basically be doubling the next closest guy on his team in goals in a really good league is something to look out for. Top 3 in points and by far first in goals at his age is solid development for where he was picked.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I still dont know what to think his NHL potential is, but at his age to basically be doubling the next closest guy on his team in goals in a really good league is something to look out for. Top 3 in points and by far first in goals at his age is solid development for where he was picked.

shl is not even top 5 in europe. super overated league. just look at how much sweden is struggling in wjc, wc, eht and olympics year after year.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
shl is not even top 5 in europe. super overated league. just look at how much sweden is struggling in wjc, wc, eht and olympics year after year.
Claim: SHL is not a top 5 league in Europe
Reasoning: The nation of Sweden losing in tournament play is somehow evidence of that?
Huh?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Claim: SHL is not a top 5 league in Europe
Reasoning: The nation of Sweden losing in tournament play is somehow evidence of that?
Huh?
Its like saying the NHL isnt the best league in the world because Canada and USA didnt even medal. That poster mus think the KHL and FEL are the top 2 leagues in the world. Such a laughably absurd take

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was really hoping the bolded was sarcasm, then I realized it wasn't and am very interested to see you name 5 European leagues better than the SHL.
Well, half a year ago he was claiming the Polish league is stronger than Slovak and fast forward to today, he thinks Slovakia is a top-6 nation in the world so ya know. Dare I say those opinions might not be completely justified.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

A good Bottom 6 guy, 3rd line kid you park infront of the net

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
He’s basically Holmstrom, except bigger, faster, stronger, better hands, better skater, better shooter, more agile, and a longer stick.

Hopefully he has even half of Holmstom’s heart.

Hazy Little Thing

Jan 19, 2022
Not many size and weight comparisons for big forwards.

Elmer Soderblom: 6'8" 249 lbs

Tage Thompson: 6'7" 218 lbs
Brian Boyle: 6'6" 245 lbs

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I guess he did Greco-Roman wrestling with his brother Arvid when he was younger. He said it helped with his coordination and motor skills. I learned a long time ago that nobody can mess you up quite like a wrestler can. They'll hurt you lol.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He’s basically Holmstrom, except bigger, faster, stronger, better hands, better skater, better shooter, more agile, and a longer stick.

Hopefully he has even half of Holmstom’s heart.
I don't see the comparison tbh. Homer was elite at the net-front position. Söderblom isn't bad.. but he's nowhere near that caliber. On the other hand, Söderblom's shot has become an absolute weapon at the SHL level and looks consistently dangerous, which is why Frölunda uses him as the primary shooter on the PP.

Söderblom's closer comparable is Franzen or Mantha tbh. Big men with skill and great shots.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If he can become a a ~50 point second liner and PP weapon it’s a home run pick. We’ve absolutely killed it with the SHL recently.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC to Chicago
I guess he did Greco-Roman wrestling with his brother Arvid when he was younger. He said it helped with his coordination and motor skills. I learned a long time ago that nobody can mess you up quite like a wrestler can. They'll hurt you lol.

Ah that's neat, thanks for sharing. In an age where kids hyper-specialize in sports pretty early, I always like to hear about guys who have a more unique sporting background.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I don't see the comparison tbh. Homer was elite at the net-front position. Söderblom isn't bad.. but he's nowhere near that caliber. On the other hand, Söderblom's shot has become an absolute weapon at the SHL level and looks consistently dangerous, which is why Frölunda uses him as the primary shooter on the PP.

Söderblom's closer comparable is Franzen or Mantha tbh. Big men with skill and great shots.

I've been saying it for a while now, but his game makes me think of this guy. Only much bigger.

Fredrik Modin - Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad