Sidney Crosby becomes the 10th player in NHL history to reach 1600 points

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hope he gets to 1930 if anyone deserves to be 2nd all time its crosby not jagr who played and played tell he got it lol
Almost zero chance Crosby hits 1930. Even assuming he averages 80 points per year for the remainder of his career (which is unlikely), that would still take him over 4 full seasons to reach. He'd be 42/43 by that point.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Congrats to Sid! I still remember watching him in person in the Q. He was other-worldly.

I think he ends up with around 1800-1850 points. That should put him #4 or #5 all-time in points.

The only player who is playing today that will pass him one day is McDavid (unless injuries derail his career, he is getting 2000 points easy).

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
And what would you say the expectation were for Crosby in that regard ?

He is one of the best and most hyped prospect ever.

Someone could argue that despite being one of the most hyped prospect he did almost met all of them, because of the game missed during his peak "just" 2x Art Ross-hart's is maybe below some expectation, but he compensated by better prime longevity.
The league missed a season and that helped.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
It did help, as more eyes were on junior hockey, but it is not clear if anyone dominated his juniors peers in the CHL draft -1 and draft year combined like Crosby did before or since.
I was actually a fan of The Knights until Hamilton got a team. As such, I hated Crosby

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Crosby is 87th in games played out of 7696 players who's played in the NHL. And he's still adding games to his resume. It's time to stop complaining. We can't keep compairing him to injured star players lke Bure, Forsberg, Lindros and Orr. It's time to compair him to guys who actually played the games like Gretzky, Jagr, Sakic, Ovechkin, Yzerman and so on...
Had to do a spit take when I read this incredibly reasonable opinion.

Sakic and Yzerman are two star centres who also lost significant time to injury. A snow blower took Sakic out for a hot minute back in the day.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Good solid 5 minutes
Almost zero chance Crosby hits 1930. Even assuming he averages 80 points per year for the remainder of his career (which is unlikely), that would still take him over 4 full seasons to reach. He'd be 42/43 by that point.
Well he shows no signs of slowing down. If his body holds up he’s going to keep playing as long as he can I’m sure.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Doea he have enough left in the tank to hit 1700?

Best of luck to him......

Was never a sid fan when he came into the league. But I certainly respect him amd what he brings to the game.

And even as an oiler fan, he is with out a doubt the captain and leader for the 26 Olympic team and it's not even debatable....

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Doea he have enough left in the tank to hit 1700?

Best of luck to him......

Was never a sid fan when he came into the league. But I certainly respect him amd what he brings to the game.

And even as an oiler fan, he is with out a doubt the captain and leader for the 26 Olympic team and it's not even debatable....
If he keeps his point per game streak going for this season he will be 30 or less shy of 1700, so i am guessing so.

Reactions: Zerotonine

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
463441299_945163464326071_8680052112714126580_n.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was the most hyped prospect since Lindros. The hopes were for him to be hands down the best player in the league for a long stretch. He was regarded as the best , but like a poster said previously he unfortunately got slowed down by injuries in the period where it looked like he was about to dominate the league. Satisfying career of course, but he did not exceed expectations.
When any player has a very serious case for 5th best all time I'd venture to say that yes that's satisfying don't you think?

Or do people really say on draft day, sure in less than 20 years he will be in serious discussion for 5th best overall?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad