C/W Elmer Söderblom - Frölunda HC, SWE JRs (2019, 159th, DET)

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Not many size and weight comparisons for big forwards.

Elmer Soderblom: 6'8" 249 lbs

Tage Thompson: 6'7" 218 lbs
Brian Boyle: 6'6" 245 lbs

It's interesting how players suddenly grow an inch or two when they get to Buffalo. I thought the cold was supposed to have a shrinkage effect? :sarcasm:

But Thompson was listed as 6'5 before, Power was 6'4-6'5 and is now 6'6? Dahlin suddenly became 6'3 its a little suspicious

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It's interesting how players suddenly grow an inch or two when they get to Buffalo. I thought the cold was supposed to have a shrinkage effect? :sarcasm:

But Thompson was listed as 6'5 before, Power was 6'4-6'5 and is now 6'6? Dahlin suddenly became 6'3 its a little suspicious

Define suddently. Dahlin was listed as 6'3 at the combine in 2018. Before he came to Buffalo.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

Tage was listed at 6'6" pre-draft, Owen Power was listed as 6'6", Dahlin was listed anywhere from 6'2" to 6'4". It's not unusual for someone to grow another inch or so post draft considering most of them are only 17 when they are drafted. Also many of the pre-draft information is taken from sources from the beginning of their season and not from the actual combine, the combine information doesn't always filter it's way through to various sites and player profiles.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Such an interesting player. Could be anything from AHL fodder to 1st line winger

I don’t think he’s an AHL winger. He probably goes back to Sweden before that. I think he’ll have a period of adjustment but his skill set is definitely top 9, maybe even top 6.

He looks downright dominant in games and I have a hard time remembering any SHL player that was dominant like he’s been not translating well to NA.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
His size, mobility and hands in close are unlike anyone we’ve seen at forward in a long time and I think will 100% keep him in the NHL in some fashion.

The only two complaints I’d have at this point is he does at times get tunnel vision and doesn’t use him teammates very well and his wrist shot could use quite a bit more strength to it if he wants to keep scoring from a distance.

One of the more interesting prospects out there for sure

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
His size, mobility and hands in close are unlike anyone we’ve seen at forward in a long time and I think will 100% keep him in the NHL in some fashion.

The only two complaints I’d have at this point is he does at times get tunnel vision and doesn’t use him teammates very well and his wrist shot could use quite a bit more strength to it if he wants to keep scoring from a distance.

He's a goalscoring winger with a really, really good wrist shot. Just because his shot kind of wobbled on that clip doesn't mean his shot is mediocre. Look at the rest of his goals. The dude's shot is elite.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018

I was on a Frolunda HC forum last night, and I actually read this in a post (I'm paraphrasing):

"It must be fun for Neiderbach and Sundstrom to play on a line with Elmer. They never get to touch the puck."

And

"Of course Elmer did it all by himself without passing."

Hockey nerds are the same no matter where they're from lol.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's a goalscoring winger with a really, really good wrist shot. Just because his shot kind of wobbled on that clip doesn't mean his shot is mediocre. Look at the rest of his goals. The dude's shot is elite.
Elite is being awfully generous. I’ve seen all his goals. Most aren’t very hard shots. Thankfully that’s a very easy thing to work on compared to other skills.

Way more concerning for me is his tunnel vision. But he’s a 21yo 7th round pick so of course he’s going to have things to work on. He’s clearly got a pretty good work ethic to get to where he is so as long as he stays coachable it should be a great pick for the Wings

Reactions: Realgud

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
its funny in those clips how big and slow he looks... but is actually moving pretty good seeing that the defending team is chasing him around

Hazy Little Thing

Jan 19, 2022
Elite is being awfully generous. I’ve seen all his goals. Most aren’t very hard shots. Thankfully that’s a very easy thing to work on compared to other skills.

Way more concerning for me is his tunnel vision. But he’s a 21yo 7th round pick so of course he’s going to have things to work on. He’s clearly got a pretty good work ethic to get to where he is so as long as he stays coachable it should be a great pick for the Wings
20 year old 6th rounder*

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
its funny in those clips how big and slow he looks... but is actually moving pretty good seeing that the defending team is chasing him around
I find a lot a lot of big players look slow just because they need so few strides to get to top speed and stay there. Looks they’re floating but one of their strides equal 2 of a regular skater

Reactions: Hazy Little Thing

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

Goalscoring wingers all have tunnel vision to some degree. And he's a goalscoring winger. If you're saying he has tunnel vision because the goal to assist ratio then stop stat watching. He doesn't have a problem utilizing his teammates and has pretty good hockey sense. The guy's job is to finish the play on his line, not set up the finisher.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Goalscoring wingers all have tunnel vision to some degree. And he's a goalscoring winger. If you're saying he has tunnel vision because the goal to assist ratio then stop stat watching. He doesn't have a problem utilizing his teammates and has pretty good hockey sense. The guy's job is to finish the play on his line, not set up the finisher.
This is not some kind of bold comment. Plenty of people agree he has bad tunnel vision. It has nothing to do with stat watching, it has to do with watching him play. Hell, look at the OT highlight on this page. Yea he made some nice moves on the ice, but his head never lifted once to see where his teammates were and see if there’s a passing option. As I said if you think he’s some perfect prospect with no flaws then that’s up to you, it’s just not reality.

Reactions: Realgud

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I find a lot a lot of big players look slow just because they need so few strides to get to top speed and stay there. Looks they’re floating but one of their strides equal 2 of a regular skater
It's always been that way. When I was young, my Dad told me stories of how Gordie Howe would be described by some announcers: "Here comes Howe lumbering up the ice." At the same time as he's skating right by opposing players lol.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is not some kind of bold comment. Plenty of people agree he has bad tunnel vision. It has nothing to do with stat watching, it has to do with watching him play. Hell, look at the OT highlight on this page. Yea he made some nice moves on the ice, but his head never lifted once to see where his teammates were and see if there’s a passing option. As I said if you think he’s some perfect prospect with no flaws then that’s up to you, it’s just not reality.
It's also his role on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad