C/W Elmer Söderblom - Frölunda HC, SWE JRs (2019, 159th, DET)

Hazy Little Thing

Jan 19, 2022
I hate player comps but why hasn't anyone thrown out Tim Kerr yet?
Because Elmer is 5" taller and 24 lbs heavier?

Also Kerr has a top 10 goals/game rate in NHL history. A little unfair to make a player comp to that and a 6th round pick that hasn't played a game in NA.

Reactions: VILARGOD

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Because Elmer is 5" taller and 24 lbs heavier?

Also Kerr has a top 10 goals/game rate in NHL history. A little unfair to make a player comp to that and a 6th round pick that hasn't played a game in NA.

Tim Kerr was an extremely large player and also wasn't drafted but like I said that's why I don't really like player comparisons to begin with but both guys could have similar PP advantages with their size.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Fascinating unicorn prospect, even if he doesn't put up huge point totals, I could see him be very useful in a 7 game series as a "gamebreaker" i.e. a player that can generate offense even if the other team is executing what they want to defensively against certain schemes/defenses. His skill/size package is just something unique and potentially very valuable, happy to hear he's entering the NHL to do his thing.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I thought he was our most consistantly dangerous forward this preseason. He did here what he did in the SHL: Seize an opportunity and put a death grip on it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Elmer had an awesome camp. Used his size and skill well at all spots on the ice. For a 6'8" guy he skates quite well (no that doesn't mean he is fast). Really hoping he is going to be one of those late pick steals as he reads the play well and has underrated skill with the puck. Definitely deserves a spot in Detroit's opening night lineup.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Officially made the team. Practicing on the third line with Rasmussen and Sundqvist, that line is going to have an average height over 6'5.

Third line plus powerplay is a pretty decent role for a rookie
I believe it when I see it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That's just the roster the Redwings had to submit today to show they're cap compliant. At this point, teams are looking to max cap space, gain max roster flexibility and are therefore waiving players, making paper moves etc. The current rosters mean exactly nothing for opening night. 99% Smith is gonna be on the Redwings opening night roster so unless Sundqvist or Copp suffer a setback either Veleno or Soderblom are gonna start the year in GR. Maybe both.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Fascinating unicorn prospect, even if he doesn't put up huge point totals, I could see him be very useful in a 7 game series as a "gamebreaker" i.e. a player that can generate offense even if the other team is executing what they want to defensively against certain schemes/defenses. His skill/size package is just something unique and potentially very valuable, happy to hear he's entering the NHL to do his thing.

yeah he's gonna just randomly take over games from time to time with his physical tools even if he doesn't fully put it together and do it consistently enough to be more than a 3rd liner or whatever

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The current rosters mean exactly nothing for opening night. 99% Smith is gonna be on the Redwings opening night roster so unless Sundqvist or Copp suffer a setback either Veleno or Soderblom are gonna start the year in GR. Maybe both.
There's no reason to think Smith slots into the lineup over Veleno/Söderblom.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There's no reason to think Smith slots into the lineup over Veleno/Söderblom.
Not necessarily the lineup but based on Lalonde's comments from yesterday he'll most likely make the opening night roster. On that roster, just three forwards are waiver exempt and Raymond is rather unlikely to get demoted. I think it's probably gonna be Veleno but it might well be Soderblom. I think the only way they both stay with the Redwings is if either Copp or Sundqvist suffer a setback and aren't ready to play.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
That's just the roster the Redwings had to submit today to show they're cap compliant. At this point, teams are looking to max cap space, gain max roster flexibility and are therefore waiving players, making paper moves etc. The current rosters mean exactly nothing for opening night. 99% Smith is gonna be on the Redwings opening night roster so unless Sundqvist or Copp suffer a setback either Veleno or Soderblom are gonna start the year in GR. Maybe both.
There isn't any reason for Detroit to do any of that. They're well above the floor, and well below the ceiling.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Soberblom's cap hit ($878,333) is higher than Smith's ($750,000), I don't think it's a money-saving move.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Soberblom's cap hit ($878,333) is higher than Smith's ($750,000), I don't think it's a money-saving move.
It's not but they had to waive Smith for roster flexibility.

There isn't any reason for Detroit to do any of that. They're well above the floor, and well below the ceiling.
I agree but my interpretation of what Lalonde said is that Smith is gonna be on the opening night roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad