C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
18 games, 14 goals, 24 points, 1.33 ppg
15 games, 0 goals, 0 points, 0.00 ppg

i guess the scoring is there, but atm it comes in flashes
in the AHL
I don’t… I don’t know what to say to that… you’re not wrong… just wildly misrepresenting stats and how they work… like by a wide margin.

Logan Cooley Stats:
18 Games, 4 Goals, 21 Points, 1.166 PPG
24 Games, 0 Goals, 0 Points, 0 PPG

Like am I missing something or does this breakdown mean absolutely nothing?

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
18 games, 14 goals, 24 points, 1.33 ppg
15 games, 0 goals, 0 points, 0.00 ppg

i guess the scoring is there, but atm it comes in flashes
in the AHL
He's almost as streaky as Alex DeBrincat

25gp 17 goals 40 points 1.52 ppg
19gp 0 goals 0 points 0.00 ppg

I guess the scoring is there, but it comes in flashes.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
How? He's a 19/20 year old playing in the AHL, scoring at a very respectable clip. He was never going to live up to his 15 year old season but that was obvious to anyone paying attention. He still has the potential to have a very promising NHL career.
So he is 19 or 20? He can't be both. Hard to take your opinion seriously when you dont even know how old he is.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Shane Wright makes a lot more sense if you just view him as a late '03 had he been born just a week or two earlier than a Mr. Exceptional January 5th birthday '04. He played up his whole minor career. It's impressive to be the best player on the best team in the GTHL as an age relative young player like that, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to view him as part of the same cohort as say, Adam Fantilli (October '04), if you look into all the advantages that January birthday kids get in minor hockey's compounding effect. He never played with '04s and aged himself out of Juniors with the '03s.

Reactions: rsteen

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Shane Wright makes a lot more sense if you just view him as a late '03 had he been born just a week or two earlier than a Mr. Exceptional January 5th birthday '04. He played up his whole minor career. It's impressive to be the best player on the best team in the GTHL as an age relative young player like that, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to view him as part of the same cohort as say, Adam Fantilli (October '04), if you look into all the advantages that January birthday kids get in minor hockey's compounding effect. He never played with '04s and aged himself out of Juniors with the '03s.
Bedard (July 2005) and Celebrini (June 2006) being super elite all the way up, even as summer birthdays, is/was always much more impressive than what Wright (early January 2004) has done. And then Wright shot himself in the foot by not playing his 16 year old season when the O never started, losing a year of development.

Canadians with summer birthdays who are elite are quite notable because they're not super old for the birth year to give them that natural advantage moving up through minor hockey, and they're not afforded the extra year that late birthdays (Sept 16-Dec 31) are afforded prior to the draft. That's why everyone was super excited about Byfield, a tall, long, super athletic August birthday, and he's finally putting it all together after losing some development due to Covid interruptions and injuries.

Saying this is his 19 going on 20 season is very normal. 19/20 is a shorthand for that which most people understand. Hope that clears it up for you.
2004 birth year, season starts in 2023 = 19 year old season.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Canadians with summer birthdays who are elite are quite notable because they're not super old for the birth year to give them that natural advantage moving up through minor hockey, and they're not afforded the extra year that late birthdays (Sept 16-Dec 31) are afforded prior to the draft. That's why everyone was super excited about Byfield, a tall, long, super athletic August birthday, and he's finally putting it all together after losing some development due to Covid interruptions and injuries.
Yep, Crosby only made the '05 draft cutoff by about a month. Or else he would have been in the same spot as Tavares as a September birth and basically the oldest in the next draft year.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yep, Crosby only made the '05 draft cutoff by about a month. Or else he would have been in the same spot as Tavares as a September birth and basically the oldest in the next draft year.
Yeah, Tavares being born later in the year (1990) always meant he was younger for the Class of 2008 in school (Canadian school year grouping obviously being January 1-December 31, the calendar year), but that extra year allowed him another year in junior to stat pad, which he didn't need. And he plateaued in junior, so those Crosby comparisons quickly went away, but he translated his production pretty damn well when he entered the league.

Kids who are young for the grade/hockey year AND who are super elite are always impressive.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Good god, man. How many times can this be pointed out. Virtually every player on the planet looks like this when you separate their point scoring and non-point scoring games. Are they supposed to somehow have better stats in games that they don't get a point? This is how the math shakes out when you have players that are 0.75 ppg, which is quite reasonable for a player in their 19 year-old season in the AHL.
Doing the lords work Kyle44

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
2004 birth year, season starts in 2023 = 19 year old season.
Correct. 19 year old season, but is currently 20 years old, so sometimes easier to just say 19 going on 20 to avoid confusion once a player turns pro.

Most confusing is with the two international "Under-18" tournaments.

The Gretzky-Hlinka Tournament and the IIHF Under-18 tournaments fall under the same cycle, but the Gretzky-Hlinka Tournament occurs in August, before the start of the season and the IIHF U18 occurs in April, at the end of the season. But they're the same cycle of players, aka the one in August, 2023 is for players born 2006 or later, and the one in April, 2024 is also for players born 2006 or later. This always feel slightly counter-intuitive, as at the August tournament, you'd have players born August-December that are still 16 years old at the time, that are at the maximum age for a U-"18" tournament, and then in April you'd have players born January-April that are already 18 years old at the time, eligible for a "U"-18 tournament (emphasis on the quote placement for each).

Also feels fairly confusing (at least to me) when it's the same age restriction of a tournament, less than 4 months apart in time, but the one 4 months later is actually for the year below (because it's really meant to be one that's 8 months earlier, not 4 months later, if you know what I mean).

So you'd have a relatively small number of players that theoretically could play in both that are 17 years old at the time of both tournaments, the age you'd expect the oldest cohort of players to be. Different from the U20 World Juniors, which have the same Dec. 31 cutoff, but since the tournament occurs last week of December/first week of January, the oldest cohort of players generally are 19 years old throughout unless they literally celebrate a birthday during the tournament.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Correct. 19 year old season, but is currently 20 years old, so sometimes easier to just say 19 going on 20 to avoid confusion once a player turns pro.

Most confusing is with the two international "Under-18" tournaments.

The Gretzky-Hlinka Tournament and the IIHF Under-18 tournaments fall under the same cycle, but the Gretzky-Hlinka Tournament occurs in August, before the start of the season and the IIHF U18 occurs in April, at the end of the season. But they're the same cycle of players, aka the one in August, 2023 is for players born 2006 or later, and the one in April, 2024 is also for players born 2006 or later. This always feel slightly counter-intuitive, as at the August tournament, you'd have players born August-December that are still 16 years old at the time, that are at the maximum age for a U-"18" tournament, and then in April you'd have players born January-April that are already 18 years old at the time, eligible for a "U"-18 tournament (emphasis on the quote placement for each).

Also feels fairly confusing (at least to me) when it's the same age restriction of a tournament, less than 4 months apart in time, but the one 4 months later is actually for the year below (because it's really meant to be one that's 8 months earlier, not 4 months later, if you know what I mean).

So you'd have a relatively small number of players that theoretically could play in both that are 17 years old at the time of both tournaments, the age you'd expect the oldest cohort of players to be. Different from the U20 World Juniors, which have the same Dec. 31 cutoff, but since the tournament occurs last week of December/first week of January, the oldest cohort of players generally are 19 years old throughout unless they literally celebrate a birthday during the tournament.
Everyone who is dialed into hockey knows the "_____ old season" is based on when the season starts, so they just say it that way. Shane Wright, a 2004 birth year, is in his 19 year old season.

And then we get nuanced with relative age effect, older kids, younger kids, late birthdays, Canadians with early birthdays, Americans with late(r) birthdays (but those kids are usually the oldest or on the older side of their school year grouping), etc.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Everyone who is dialed into hockey knows the "_____ old season" is based on when the season starts, so they just say it that way. Shane Wright, a 2004 birth year, is in his 19 year old season.

And then we get nuanced with relative age effect, older kids, younger kids, late birthdays, Canadians with early birthdays, Americans with late(r) birthdays (but those kids are usually the oldest or on the older side of their school year grouping), etc.
Actually, I have been watching hockey for 30 years and I have never once heard a hockey commentator use that term in an NHL game.

I guess they aren't dialed into hockey.:laugh:

Why is this complicated for you?
Why is it so complicated to just admit his age?

Its like He is 20 he is a bust!

Wait no no he is only 19 well, in his year in which the season started that he was 19 but now he is 20 but since it is his 19th year that the NHL started he isn't a bust!

Ya, I guess I forgot, I hear commentators talk about it that way all the time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad