C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It would have been preferable had he been playing consistently - but I just don't see any player who has been good enough to overtake him. Vilardi might have been the guy, but he's had his own injury problems.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It would have been preferable had he been playing consistently - but I just don't see any player who has been good enough to overtake him. Vilardi might have been the guy, but he's had his own injury problems.
The only player I see launching somewhat of a challenge is Hischier. If he puts up ridiculous totals while playing center it will be hard to ignore. Hischier and Liljegren I could see mounting challenges with a strong WJC and 2nd half, but Patrick still has to be the strong odds-on favorite. It will be interesting to see how McKenzie's scouts place the race when his new article comes out in the next week or so.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think he's the number 1 pick unless someone really comes on and displaces him. He basically had his draft showcase year last season. He was close to making that draft and I am fairly certain he would have gone top 5.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he's the number 1 pick unless someone really comes on and displaces him. He basically had his draft showcase year last season. He was close to making that draft and I am fairly certain he would have gone top 5.

If he has a strong return he'll go first. It all hinges on whether he can come back with that 1.5 PPG or higher to finish off the season.

But at the same time I dont think this draft is as weak as people thought it was. We have a strong centerman from each of the 3 CHL leagues. A skilled center coming out of the US. And two pretty solid centers coming out of Sweden.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If he has a strong return he'll go first. It all hinges on whether he can come back with that 1.5 PPG or higher to finish off the season.

I wonder who is going to get him? The draft lottery makes it a crapshot now. I was looking at possible teams. Wiinipeg for one I believe would be a natural fit. But the Jets already used up their luck moving up to select Laine. It was just a thought that I had the other day. Which team would you want to see him land with?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

I wonder who is going to get him? The draft lottery makes it a crapshot now. I was looking at possible teams. Wiinipeg for one I believe would be a natural fit. But the Jets already used up their luck moving up to select Laine. It was just a thought that I had the other day. Which team would you want to see him land with?

If Vancouver had better management probably there. Calgary would be a good fit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Vancouver had better management probably there. Calgary would be a good fit.

A lot of road to be driven on before we know who the top lottery teams are. But Arizona and NY Isles at the bottom right now, if they land Patrick.

They would be very strong down the middle into the next decade.

Arizona-Strome-Dvorak-Patrick
NY Isles-Tavares-Barzal-Patrick

Personally for me, as a NHL fan. I would like to see him in his hometown in Winnipeg.

Scheifele-Patrick-Little

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

A lot of road to be driven on before we know who the top lottery teams are. But Arizona and NY Isles at the bottom right now, if they land Patrick.

They would be very strong down the middle into the next decade.

Arizona-Strome-Dvorak-Patrick
NY Isles-Tavares-Barzal-Patrick

Personally for me, as a NHL fan. I would like to see him in his hometown in Winnipeg.

Scheifele-Patrick-Little

Yeah we could really have some solid lines then. Center depth shored up for the next 7 years minimum and a very strong core of wingers. Can't see us winning another lotto pick even if we do finish outside the playoff bubble.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

I think it not only depends on this, but on need as well.

I bet you if for example, the Leafs won it again, they take a D. Even if it means trading back, they just don't need another F.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I think it not only depends on this, but on need as well.

I bet you if for example, the Leafs won it again, they take a D. Even if it means trading back, they just don't need another F.

If the Leafs get the 1st overall pick, they would be foolish to pass up on the BPA and trade down for a need. You can never have enough talent on a team regardless of position. The Leafs will have no trouble fitting Nolan Patrick or Gabe Vilardi in I'm sure of if we get the 1st overall pick

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I am talking about in regards to fit.

Top 3 Hands down in terms of fit

1) Vegas
2) Vancouver
3) Carolina
Vegas is a terrible fit outside of opportunity. Expansion teams that have rushed their prospects to the NHL for the inaugural season have rarely turned out well. The best are Gaborik and Hamrlik (compared to Kariya, and Yashin who were held back a year) and the worst includes Rob Niedermayer, Faloon and Stefan. Vancouver is currently a tire fire. Carolina is probably the best in that he has a decent core around him to help him grow, but they have the same chance of getting him as a team like Minnesota right now, where he would slot in perfectly.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Vegas is a terrible fit outside of opportunity. Expansion teams that have rushed their prospects to the NHL for the inaugural season have rarely turned out well. The best are Gaborik and Hamrlik (compared to Kariya, and Yashin who were held back a year) and the worst includes Rob Niedermayer, Faloon and Stefan. Vancouver is currently a tire fire. Carolina is probably the best in that he has a decent core around him to help him grow, but they have the same chance of getting him as a team like Minnesota right now, where he would slot in perfectly.

Who cares if they rush prospects

The talent in this league needs to be dispersed to ice an entertaining product.

You can't say someone is a bad fit because they are desperate for talent like Vegas and Vancouver.

That makes them a fit as they have to start somewhere.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Who cares if they rush prospects

The talent in this league needs to be dispersed to ice an entertaining product.

You can't say someone is a bad fit because they are desperate for talent like Vegas and Vancouver.

That makes them a fit as they have to start somewhere.
Your talking in regards to which teams need Patrick the most, not what team would be the best fit for Patrick's development. They are completely different things, which sometimes have a co-relation.

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010

I would disagree with Vegas. Looking at Mcphee's drafting record, he's never once had a rookie step in immediately after the draft. Now obviously this has as much to do with the player as mgmt, but it still says something about Mcphee's development model.

My point is, I wouldn't count on Mcphee rushing their 1st overall if they somehow got it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sam bennett
Sean Monahan

definitely not a good fit. they are set at center.

Monahan is a top 6 C. Bennet has been on the wing for awhile and is likely a better fit there. I'd like to see Calgary push to compete in the next few years and I think Patrick could really help them do that.

I am talking about in regards to fit.

Top 3 Hands down in terms of fit

1) Vegas
2) Vancouver
3) Carolina

1) I think Vegas would be a horrible fit. He'd be relied on to do to much to soon. The last place I want him to go is Vegas.

2) Vancouver is a solid fit and he'd be insulated but I don't want Benning getting rewarded for anything.

3) Carolina is a great fit but it's likely they will continue to compete for a playoff spot and highly unlikely they get close to him.

Arizona is probably not a bad spot for him to be. I don't want him with the Islanders. Detroit would be a great place for him. Best place is Winnipeg because they are my team, his hometown and we can insulate him perfectly. Hard to say where we end up right now though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would disagree with Vegas. Looking at Mcphee's drafting record, he's never once had a rookie step in immediately after the draft. Now obviously this has as much to do with the player as mgmt, but it still says something about Mcphee's development model.

My point is, I wouldn't count on Mcphee rushing their 1st overall if they somehow got it.
I hope he doesn't for the player's sake. Granted, the only player I can think of in his draft history who should have been in the NHL immediately after his draft is Ovi (which he would of been without the lockout). Granted, he did take the patient approach with Backstrom (may of been contract based) and Alzner.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Vancouver would be a perfect fit. He would be sheltered for the first half the season and he would be easily primed to replace Sedin. He would have some decent players to play with too like Eriksson.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Monahan is a top 6 C. Bennet has been on the wing for awhile and is likely a better fit there. I'd like to see Calgary push to compete in the next few years and I think Patrick could really help them do that.

1) I think Vegas would be a horrible fit. He'd be relied on to do to much to soon. The last place I want him to go is Vegas.

2) Vancouver is a solid fit and he'd be insulated but I don't want Benning getting rewarded for anything.

3) Carolina is a great fit but it's likely they will continue to compete for a playoff spot and highly unlikely they get close to him.

Arizona is probably not a bad spot for him to be. I don't want him with the Islanders. Detroit would be a great place for him. Best place is Winnipeg because they are my team, his hometown and we can insulate him perfectly. Hard to say where we end up right now though.

If the jets are in a position to draft that high again it would be ridiculous, getting Laine last year was already extremely luck considering the talent that was on the team. Jets need to get their **** together, that team is far too talented to even get a shot at drafting first

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the jets are in a position to draft that high again it would be ridiculous, getting Laine last year was already extremely luck considering the talent that was on the team. Jets need to get their **** together, that team is far too talented to even get a shot at drafting first

I actually thought we would have another down season due to the youth. Many think we should be making major headway already but we're the youngest team in the league. Little, Perreault, Armia, Myers and Matthias out hurts too.
We will be a bubble team for this season for sure. Next season is where I think we see some real growth.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He has to be going to Vancouver, they never had a 1st overall pick in the history of their franchise.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah we could really have some solid lines then. Center depth shored up for the next 7 years minimum and a very strong core of wingers. Can't see us winning another lotto pick even if we do finish outside the playoff bubble.

Watched the Jets game last night. I didn't like what I saw. It would not surprise me this year if they will get a similar lottery chance to the Laine draft this year. There is definitely something amiss with this team that defies the notion of its just injuries. I don't know if its Maurice or bad team chemistry, but if I am Chevy, I would trade off some assets/vets to increase my chances of drafting Nolan. That's my 2 cents. I think he would be worth the gamble. Winnipeg possibly drafting a hometown boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad