C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snizzbone*

he's been better I'll give you that, I'm not listening to old tired narratives. 50% isn't something to jump up and down about. Winning half your draws means half the time you lose...meaning half the time the puck stays in our end. If your happy with that then go ahead but for a #1 C I expect more. Like I said though I think Marner has the hand quickness and the ability to become a #1 C (he'll be our #2 with Nylander in the way ;) ) He has all the ability in the world and just has to be "coached up" on winning draws from the coaching staff.

I mean the best faceoff guys in the league only win 60% or so.. 55% is really good. It's honestly not a huge deal. Faceoffs don't play that big of a role, as long as you aren't losing a lot more than half of them. Marner has shown to be effective on the wing, while Kadri seems to struggle there.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The difference between 51% and 53% is like one faceoff win every five games. Absolutely worthless for judging someone's ability to be center.

Marner's played RW last year and is mostly playing RW this year. If this keeps up for the rest of the year, he's likely to be a RW in the NHL.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Faceoffs aren't nearly as important as the MSM says they are. Lots of stats to back that up.

BTW, 51.5% is really solid for faceoffs. Lots of so called #1 C's are well below him.

Toews 61%, Giroux 60%, Kesler 55%, Bergeron 54%. Kadri has been ok IMO not great, not bad. That's just to name a few. All I'm saying is he's been inconsistent to good, Marner if given the opportunity has the hands to be very good, but we'll see. He's been a winger most of the year.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Toews 61%, Giroux 60%, Kesler 55%, Bergeron 54%. Kadri has been ok IMO not great, not bad. That's just to name a few. All I'm saying is he's been inconsistent to good, Marner if given the opportunity has the hands to be very good, but we'll see. He's been a winger most of the year.

Over ~24 games means nothing. Look at their career averages. Unless someone is taking steps to improve (like Kadri has), they'll regress to career average eventually. Toews and Giroux especially, 60% is basically impossible to stay at. Even then, the difference between 55% and 50% is less than a single faceoff win per game. It's dwarved by all other aspects of a center's play.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Marner has no business playing in the OHL next Season I agree.

What's he going to do next Season? put up 4 ppg? :laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
what a great first period for him, first line all over the ice, chance after chance, Marner puts 1 home on a sick toe drag snipe glove side. He could have at least 3 points so far if his line-mates finished off plays. There is no way he's playing in junior next year, just way too good

Last edited:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
They have the game on SNET, for those wondering.

Marner and Nylander are going to put up a show at the WJCs with the way they're playing. Exciting stuff for Leafs fans

William Nylander*

sULyn8.gif

Toying with the OHL at this point.

Shwaguy*

People say he plays a junior game and would get decked in the NHL but he's simply waaaaay to shifty to get decked by a (Clean) hit on a consistent basis like some worry.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Just too good. Posted this in the other thread but Dvorak should capitalize on some of those chances created by Marner. This isn't the only game where'd you say "Marner could've had a few more assists to his name if Dvorak finished those plays"

Not trying to undervalue Dvorak (he's an excellent overall C) but it is what it is.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Some Marner highlights from tonight

Y6vsSq.gif

RU_nr-.gif

sULyn8.gif

Could have quite a few assists tonight if Dvorak could finish.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Absolutely disgusting goal for his 3rd of the night.

First hattrick this season. You should see this goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad