C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
After a relatively slow start in October, Marner has 27 points in 10 games during November. A pace of 1.67 in October and 2.7 in November. If he can maintain around 2.25 the rest of the way I could see him breaking 130 even including missing WJC but realistically probably looking at around 120

one77

Dec 22, 2013
That's all fine and good but who do you have on the blue line and which tire-fire is between the pipes?

As much as I love the skill in that top 9, until defense and goaltending is addressed it smacks of Oilers 2.0
Trade JVR for Seth Jones (a trade based around that)
Trade Phaneuf for Ritchie+

Ritchie - Stamkos - Marner
Puljujarvi - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
X - Gauthier - X
-Johnson/Timashov/Bracco/Leivo

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Nielsen
Loov - Dermott
-Percy/Harrington/Valiev

Bernier/Reimer/Sparks/Bibeau

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
X - Gauthier - X

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Nielsen
Loov - Dermott
-Percy/Harrington/Valiev

If only it were that easy :D

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
X - Gauthier - X

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Nielsen
Loov - Dermott
-Percy/Harrington/Valiev

Before anyone loses it, he's joking!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think there are any rumors other than the typical HFboards speculation for Stamkos coming to Toronto.

And at this point I'm more interested in what Marner will be doing next year, he's clearly too good for Jr. and once he's racked up a few points he's not as interested in the game or it seems like it anyway.

No there are rumors but I am not excepting it by any means

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
X - Gauthier - X

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Nielsen
Loov - Dermott
-Percy/Harrington/Valiev

There is no way the Preds or the Ducks do that.
Besides, that defense and goalie combo would get eaten alive in the playoffs, not to mention 6 of the top 9 are rookies... :laugh:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
X - Gauthier - X

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Nielsen
Loov - Dermott
-Percy/Harrington/Valiev

Allow me to take you to my leader....

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
So what are we to make of the fact that Marner is not playing center? Obviously the line is pretty much unstoppable, but in the end wouldn't the team be better off spreading the offense throughout the line up? I mean this one line has accounted for almost 50% of the Knights goals. Also Mark Hunter made it clear that the Leafs wanted to groom Marner as a center. What happened to that? Clearly Marner can play both positions well, and he is getting stronger at faceoffs as well. I think at some point after the WJC Marner will be moved back to center.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
So what are we to make of the fact that Marner is not playing center? Obviously the line is pretty much unstoppable, but in the end wouldn't the team be better off spreading the offense throughout the line up? I mean this one line has accounted for almost 50% of the Knights goals. Also Mark Hunter made it clear that the Leafs wanted to groom Marner as a center. What happened to that? Clearly Marner can play both positions well, and he is getting stronger at faceoffs as well. I think at some point after the WJC Marner will be moved back to center.

I think they are hesitant to change what is working so well. Why change the lines when that line is so dominant and potentially one of the top lines in the OHL ever?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Combination of things, this line is playing insane, and there either trying to increase Cliff Pu's trade value or get him more reps so he can be key in a memorial cup run. London really needs that 2nd line ready for when they lose their 1st line to the WJC. Possibly they break the line up after that.

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
Combination of things, this line is playing insane, and there either trying to increase Cliff Pu's trade value or get him more reps so he can be key in a memorial cup run. London really needs that 2nd line ready for when they lose their 1st line to the WJC. Possibly they break the line up after that.

That's what I'm thinking. After the WJC Marner will be back at center. Yes the line is playing incredibly well, but to make a legitimate run at the Memorial Cup the scoring must be spread out more. Problem is that Marner and Dvorak complement each other so well, but I'm sure all wingers are anxious to get a chance to play with Marner.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
That's what I'm thinking. After the WJC Marner will be back at center. Yes the line is playing incredibly well, but to make a legitimate run at the Memorial Cup the scoring must be spread out more. Problem is that Marner and Dvorak complement each other so well, but I'm sure all wingers are anxious to get a chance to play with Marner.

They'll try him out there some more, I'm sure. But I'd have ZERO problem with Mitch Marner coming into the NHL as a winger one day. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he'll be a very special player to watch. I think he has the potential to become an elite NHLer one day. And it that comes while on William Nylander's wing.......fine by me.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
X - Gauthier - X

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Nielsen
Loov - Dermott
-Percy/Harrington/Valiev

And trade Bernier for McDavid then we're all set :sarcasm:

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
They'll try him out there some more, I'm sure. But I'd have ZERO problem with Mitch Marner coming into the NHL as a winger one day. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he'll be a very special player to watch. I think he has the potential to become an elite NHLer one day. And it that comes while on William Nylander's wing.......fine by me.

True, and I believe Marner will play wing in the WJC alongside Strome. The only thing that bothers me is Hunter's comments that the Leafs want to groom Marner to be a center.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Marner has taken the 4th most faceoffs for the Knights

Dvorak 444
MacDonald 322
Pu 248
Marner 126
Plus the way he plays the game is like a centre. He patrols the high slot in the offensive zone. He does play as a winger in the D zone if he is late to get back but when he's the first one back he plays the centre position in the D zone. I just think his natural game is that of a centreman. He may turn out to be a winger in the nhl, but he will be a responsible one if he does. He just doesn't take all the faceoffs.
Imo he should watch tape of Gilmour on the faceoffs. You need strength and aggressiveness for faceoffs. He has the deft/quick hands and timing already.
Luckily faceoffs are something that can be learned and improved by coaching and strength.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
To me he's a centerman, like was said he plays like one, he has great vision, speed, his passing is incredible, he reads the play well. He's taken a lot of face-offs so far this year as well. He may be a winger at the moment but I think his game will translate eventually at centre.

Either Marner plays on Nylander's wing or Marner becomes an elite 2nd line centerman down the line. These two kids are the foundation down the middle for this franchise for the next 10 years+

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Leafs might not even need him to play C in the NHL.

Kadri and Nylander as top 2 C's. Marner can wing for one of them.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs might not even need him to play C in the NHL.

Kadri and Nylander as top 2 C's. Marner can wing for one of them.

More like Kadri could be a winger for one of them. Marner will be the better C down the road, Kadri really struggles in the dot.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I'm fine with Marner/Nylander down the middle eventually, even if neither are big.

But how amazing would it be to draft Matthews and do Matthews/Marner or Nylander with the other on the 1st line wing.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
"Think for yourself.....by believing what I tell you." Rock-solid logic to be sure.

? Its a stat. It's black and white.

He said Kadri is bad at faceoffs. I pointed out that he was wrong and shouldn't listen to old tired narratives.

Rock solid logic indeed. :shakehead

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
? Its a stat. It's black and white.

He said Kadri is bad at faceoffs. I pointed out that he was wrong and shouldn't listen to old tired narratives.

Rock solid logic indeed. :shakehead

he's been better I'll give you that, I'm not listening to old tired narratives. 50% isn't something to jump up and down about. Winning half your draws means half the time you lose...meaning half the time the puck stays in our end. If your happy with that then go ahead but for a #1 C I expect more. Like I said though I think Marner has the hand quickness and the ability to become a #1 C (he'll be our #2 with Nylander in the way ;) ) He has all the ability in the world and just has to be "coached up" on winning draws from the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
he's been better I'll give you that, I'm not listening to old tired narratives. 50% isn't something to jump up and down about. Winning half your draws means half the time you lose...meaning half the time the puck stays in our end. If your happy with that then go ahead but for a #1 C I expect more. Like I said though I think Marner has the hand quickness and the ability to become a #1 C (he'll be our #2 with Nylander in the way ;) ) He has all the ability in the world and just has to be "coached up" on winning draws from the coaching staff.

Faceoffs aren't nearly as important as the MSM says they are. Lots of stats to back that up.

BTW, 51.5% is really solid for faceoffs. Lots of so called #1 C's are well below him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad