C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyt 91*

None of those players, Marner included, are playing at the same level McDavid did last year.

Marner is offensively surpassing him:amazed: What else would he have to do of late for his play OF LATE to be considered on McDavids level last year?

91Kadri91*

There are several others dominating equally as well. A ton of McDavids in the CHL this year. It's stupendous.

There's no one currently in the CHL (and there won't be for a long time) that can dominate the CHL like McDavid was able to last season.

91Kadri91*

Marner is offensively surpassing him:amazed: What else would he have to do of late for his play OF LATE to be considered on McDavids level last year?

Marner's fantastic, and he's an elite prospect, but what McDavid was able to do was simply incredible. You had to watch him play to truly appreciate how great the kid was (in Junior).

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I'm sorry, but this kid is ridiculously good. Almost too good. Size matters? M&M don't care, short players are making an impact. I see Hunter taking that approach, draft short skilled players.

bobbyt 91*

There's no one currently in the CHL (and there won't be for a long time) that can dominate the CHL like McDavid was able to last season.

Marner in the last 10 or so games is dominating like McDavid did last year. I don't expect that to continue like I would for McDavid. Now my words are going to be twisted to say that hahah Leaf fanb thinks Marner=McDavid when all I am saying is Marner of late has been as dominant as McDavid was last year.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
wtf

tSChe6.gif

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Marner isn't offensively surpassing McDavid.

Is it not possible for you to just appreciate Marner for being the talented player he is rather than claiming he is outplaying McDavid's performance :shakehead

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast

Be 6'2" and 205...

Seriously though Marner will never be the player Mcdavid is, get over it, and that obviously is the furthest thing from an insult to Marner.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

I absolutely agree, but Marner this year isn't that far behind.

Overall, McDavid is and always will be a much better player than Marner, but having watched them both, I'd say that 17 year old McDavid playing in the O is only slightly better than 18 year old Marner playing in the O.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He is just better than everyone on the ice - that play was impressive, but its almost easy for him to do that when ever he wants.

Not sure that would work in the NHL but pretty impressive puck control to be sure.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Marner does not have the speed/quickness of McDavid or the size, but his hockey IQ has to be right up there.

One sequence in this game stood out where the Knights were on the rush and the puck got dumped into the right corner. Marner stopped up and stood at the point on the weak side, nobody else within 30 feet of him. I remember thinking "wtf is he doing, why not go to the front of the net or support the puck on the strong side. Well, sure enough, Guelph won the puck battle in the corner and cleared the puck... RIGHT onto Marner's tape, and he was able to walk into the slot for a point blank chance. MitchJesus.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I hope Babcock doesn't see stuff like that...

Marner isn't dumb. He's not going to try and do that in the NHL. No idea why two guys are trying to cover there at all...he's ****ing smart to give himself a pass using the boards to evade two players.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Marner isn't dumb. He's not going to try and do that in the NHL. No idea why two guys are trying to cover there at all...he's ****ing smart to give himself a pass using the boards to evade two players.

Ditto. Marner's play there shows high hockey IQ. Someone who has hockey IQ generally is not dumb enough to try that with a well-established NHL coach in his rookie year trying to earn his trust..

Marner at this point is just toying with the OHL.

Connor Brown led the league in scoring two years back(?) but it's nothing like this. Impressive.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Lol some of these posts.

Babcock and the Leafs are probably licking their chops when they see Marner do things like that. They know he won't be doing that in the NHL, and Marner knows he won't be doing that in the NHL.

What they will see, is that they have a player that has more skill than 99% of the league, and that they have the pleasure of molding that.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lol some of these posts.

Babcock and the Leafs are probably licking their chops when they see Marner do things like that. They know he won't be doing that in the NHL, and Marner knows he won't be doing that in the NHL.

What they will see, is that they have a player that has more skill than 99% of the league, and that they have the pleasure of molding that.

^ this right here.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I wonder what's going to happen with him next year - I feel he'll be in a tough spot.

Ineligible for the AHL, way too good for the OHL.

Wonder if the Leafs will be willing to bend their new player development mantra for him (with respect to keeping Nylander in the AHL this year).

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I wonder what's going to happen with him next year - I feel he'll be in a tough spot.

Wonder if the Leafs will be willing to bend their new player development mantra for him (with respect to keeping Nylander in the AHL this year).

There's no benefit in him playing another year in London imo.. No challenge at this point. I'd say he'll put in work during the summer, get stronger, and play with the leafs.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
2.92 ppg since Nov 1. If Hunter keeps him on a line with Dvorak for the entire year it's really looking like McDavid and Kane's 2.55 ppg marks could be eclipsed by both of them.

Remember, Kane was 18 in his draft year, while Marner is 18 this year. Same age in development years, with Marner being 6 months older, but a late bloomer.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

I think its pretty close to a lock to see Nylander and Marner both with the big club next season.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Marner in the last 10 or so games is dominating like McDavid did last year. I don't expect that to continue like I would for McDavid. Now my words are going to be twisted to say that hahah Leaf fanb thinks Marner=McDavid when all I am saying is Marner of late has been as dominant as McDavid was last year.

You can say that Marner might come close to McDavid's production (even though he's one year older, and even then not likely), but there is no way you can say Marner's play is as dominant as McDavid's. Not a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad