C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Marner isn't offensively surpassing McDavid.

Is it not possible for you to just appreciate Marner for being the talented player he is rather than claiming he is outplaying McDavid's performance :shakehead

Marner has 41 points in his last 14 games... that's one point away from a 3 ppg clip. Mcdavid had stretches as good if not better than this sure, but his sustained ppg was 2.5. Marner is definitely playing at a comparable level to a one year younger McDavid offensively. To say other wise would be a complete lie.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner has 41 points in his last 14 games... that's one point away from a 3 ppg clip. Mcdavid had stretches as good if not better than this sure, but his sustained ppg was 2.5. Marner is definitely playing at a comparable level to a one year younger McDavid offensively. To say other wise would be a complete lie.

This is a lie.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I think its pretty close to a lock to see Nylander and Marner both with the big club next season.

I was erring towards that thought as well - the current scenario with Nylander just made me think he might end up in a weird spot.

But I suppose you are right - if it were to come down to Marner being forced back to a league he has vastly outgrown or going through a trying (hopefully not) first year with the Leafs, I tend to think he sticks with the Leafs. There is just nothing left for him to learn or prove at the OHL level aside from getting stronger

edit: it's nice to come into a Leafs' prospect thread as an opposing fan and not be assaulted. cheers to coexistence

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Let me get this straight, you're taking a sample of Marner's play and comparing it to McDavid's entire season? Shouldn't you also be comparing it to McDavid's best sample? And people who don't agree that Marner's play is comparable to McDavid's are liars?

It's sad you feel the need to reach and draw a comparison between Marner and McDavid that doesn't really exist.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I wonder what's going to happen with him next year - I feel he'll be in a tough spot.

Ineligible for the AHL, way too good for the OHL.

Wonder if the Leafs will be willing to bend their new player development mantra for him (with respect to keeping Nylander in the AHL this year).

It all depends what he does in camp next year with Babcock. The Leafs have not necessarily committed themselves to giving all their top prospects time in the AHL before the NHL.

They just want them to come into camp physically ready and be able to dominate. Marner could very well go back to London next year given he has a poor camp. I can't see Babcock babying him by any stretch of the imagination.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
thats funny. However Marner is just dominating jr right now. Like McDavid was last year. In fact I would say they were/are playing at a similar level. He looks better than Drouin, Mack, Ehlers etc all did in jr so here is hoping he can put on weight and continue this level into a star studded NHL career

I haven't seen Marner play but I saw those Hali guys plenty. If he truly looks better offensively than Drouin did that's insane. He was a wizard offensively.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Absolutely philthy. Too good for the Ohl. Just toying with his opponents.

Toronto has something special

animalanimal

Jul 5, 2015
even if he could match mcdavid's production, keeping in mind it's his draft+1 year, he still wouldn't be like mcdavid. mcdavid is mcdavid. his play suggests he's a great talent, without needing to try to compare him to a generational player. just makes you look silly.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Marner stats in the past 14 games say other wise. If his stats in the past 14 games aren't enough proof for you then we'll have to agree to disagree.

So is Dvorak comparable to McDavid then? How about Strome? Their scoring is on par with Marner during the same period.

McDavid is just on another level.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
Let me get this straight, you're taking a sample of Marner's play and comparing it to McDavid's entire season? Shouldn't you also be comparing it to McDavid's best sample? And people who don't agree that Marner's play is comparable to McDavid's are liars?

It's sad you feel the need to reach and draw a comparison between Marner and McDavid that doesn't really exist.

McDavid didn't actually have a better stretch than that last season. His best stretch was 42 points in 14 games - one point more than Marner currently has in his past 14 games.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/gameByGame/id/9904/ls_season/51

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
So is Dvorak comparable to McDavid then? How about Strome? Their scoring is on par with Marner during the same period.

Dvorak is turning twenty in a few months, so that's definitely less impressive than what Strome and Marner are doing (which is less impressive than what McDavid did).

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
This is where people get way too ahead of themselves.

A 4th line OHL player can score 3 points in 1 game and have a similar level of production to Marner for one game. Sounds stupid because 1 game isn't close to 14. And at the same time a 14 game sample size isn't close to a whole season.

Marner also had the advantage of playing Guelph 3 times in that span for 13 points.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
In other words, better than Marner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you suggest that it was ridiculous to compare Marner's best stretch to McDavid's season end PPG? You said it would make more sense to compare Marner's best stretch with McDavid's best stretch for consistency purposes. Had you actually looked at McDavid's best stretch, you'd see that it was nearly identical to Marner's best stretch and never would have made that post in the first place. Let's be honest, you thought McDavid's best stretch would be considerably better than Marner's best stretch and it wasn't at all.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you suggest that it was ridiculous to compare Marner's best stretch to McDavid's season end PPG? You said it would make more sense to compare Marner's best stretch with McDavid's best stretch for consistency purposes. Had you actually looked at McDavid's best stretch, you'd see that it was nearly identical to Marner's best stretch and never would have made that post in the first place. Let's be honest, you thought McDavid's best stretch would be considerably better than Marner's best stretch and it wasn't at all.

Actually, I did look it up on the OHL website before I posted that and saw it was better. Which it is. McDavid's season PPG is also better than Marner's.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
This is where people get way too ahead of themselves.

A 4th line OHL player can score 3 points in 1 game and have a similar level of production to Marner for one game. Sounds stupid because 1 game isn't close to 14. And at the same time a 14 game sample size isn't close to a whole season.

Marner also had the advantage of playing Guelph 3 times in that span for 13 points.

And McDavid played against Sudbury, Plymouth, and Windsor multiple times during his best 14 game stretch. All three of those teams were awful last season.

Anyway, at least we can agree on the fact that a 14 game stretch is arbitrary and stupid, but McDavid at his best last season is not better than Marner at his best this season. Marner is a year older than McDavid, but it is the third OHL season for both of them.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
Actually, I did look it up on the OHL website before I posted that and saw it was better. Which it is. McDavid's season PPG is also better than Marner's.

Really doesn't look like it based on your post, because their play has been very comparable in terms of production. No one is saying Marner is better than/as good as McDavid; we realize that he is a year older.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Guy is looking plain silly out there. Seems like he's gotten a taste for goals lately. Reminds me of Crosby in the sense that he seems to decide when he's going to take off his playmaker boots and turn into a goal scorer, and you realize that he has all these tools he hadn't been using. This is not comparing his skill level to Crosby's everyone relax.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
even if he could match mcdavid's production, keeping in mind it's his draft+1 year, he still wouldn't be like mcdavid. mcdavid is mcdavid. his play suggests he's a great talent, without needing to try to compare him to a generational player. just makes you look silly.

Know doubt about it. I made it very clear in my post that Marner's play offensively in this stretch is comparable to McDavid last year. Why is that wrong or some blasphemous thing to say? Ovechkin is a generational player, does that mean Stamkos has no place comparing to him on a goal scoring level? People need to get a grip .

Dvorak will be turning 20 in two months, Strome plays a totally different style. Don't be silly. Nobody is saying Marner is as good or better than McDavid. This is why the main boards can be such a mess. Fans live in a world where every thing Leaf fans say is delusional. Thus even if a simple comment like a "a draft year plus one Marner in this little stretch is playing comparable to a draft year Mcdavid" gets blown way out of proportion. Marner like Mcdavid uses his speed, IQ and just immense skill to rack up the points. Is his speed on the same level as McDavid's was last year? No, how about IQ? debatable, but i'll say no. Skill? No. Is the way they uses their assets to rack up points comparable? Yes. This isn't some outlandish statement.

Snap24

Apr 3, 2010
Toronto

By 1 point.. who was talking about PPG? You ask for a proper comparable, get it, and say 1 point is such a difference.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Know doubt about it. I made it very clear in my post that Marner's play offensively in this stretch is comparable to McDavid last year. Why is that wrong or some blasphemous thing to say? Ovechkin is a generational player, does that mean Stamkos has no place comparing to him on a goal scoring level? People need to get a grip .

Dvorak will be turning 20 in two months, Strome plays a totally different style. Don't be silly. Nobody is saying Marner is as good or better than McDavid. This is why the main boards can be such a mess. Fans live in a world where every thing Leaf fans say is delusional. Thus even if a simple comment like a "a draft year plus one Marner in this little stretch is playing comparable to a draft year Mcdavid" gets blown way out of proportion. Marner like Mcdavid uses his speed, IQ and just immense skill to rack up the points. Is his speed on the same level as McDavid's was last year? No, how about IQ? debatable, but i'll say no. Skill? No. Is the way they uses their assets to rack up points comparable? Yes. This isn't some outlandish statement.

I appreciate the clarification.

I have been reading thru all the prospect threads the past few weeks. It is easy to get riled up by some of the outlandish statements made by (a select few) Marner fans. I have read everything from he is no doubt about it the clear cut best prospect in hockey, he is a future Selke trophy winner and Art Ross trophy winner, is carrying his linemates, etc...the over the top gushing makes it easy to want to counter argue.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I have been reading thru all the prospect threads the past few weeks. It is easy to get riled up by some of the outlandish statements made by (a select few) Marner fans. I have read everything from he is no doubt about it the clear cut best prospect in hockey, he is a future Selke trophy winner and Art Ross trophy winner, is carrying his linemates, etc...the over the top gushing makes it easy to want to counter argue.

I have not seen that comment, care to share? :)

bobbyt 91*

In other words, better than Marner.

Wow make 1 post regarding Marner's dominant play in the last 10-15 games and reference McDavid to give a comparable. OMG he thinks Marner=McDavid derp derp. NO I DO NOT THINK MARNER=MCDAVID I was using McDavid as a comparable since 99% of Hockey fans saw him in jr and wanted people to understand how dominant Marner has been of late.

Mar 12, 2009

I've read the Marner threads from the begining and I haven't seen several things you mention being said. When their are outlandish things said, it's by a select few Leaf fans. Getting "riled up" over a couple of homer's over hyping their prospect is kind of silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad