C/LW Roope Hintz (2015, 49th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Never really been a huge fan of Hintz, I think his IQ's not been great when I've seen him, but it's good that he's been able to establish himself in a role suitable for him. Just shows that with the right set of tools, you don't need amazing IQ to be a solid 3rd liner.

Funny thing is, you're the only one that thinks this. Just shows dont need amazing IQ to have an opinion.

Shap Shots: L'Esperance's upbringing, Hintz' impressive play...

Hintz has also become one of the NHL’s better rookie centers on faceoffs, something he’s discussed quite often with Seguin.
“We’ve had faceoff meetings for sure, and we’ve talked about draws,” Seguin said. “Especially being out there with him, I can talk to him about what the other guys are doing. If the other guy is using the skate or cheating, I’ll tell him before the draw. But he’s a smart player, he doesn’t talk like crazy, but he’s smart and we know it.”

Reactions: bert

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’ve never really understood the low IQ comments. He makes lots of good defencive plays; always seems to be in the right position. His shot and playmaking aren’t high end, but he reads the play very well.

Reactions: bebl

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Not on a good team, nope. Still not a top 6 NHLer.

Getting there.
There are 180 top6 forwards in the NHL. Let that sink in for a moment.

The 90th best forward can be considered to be the average top6 forward. Forwards in the top 90 can be considered to be better than average top6 forwards, while forwards between top 90 and top 180 can be considered to be below average top6 forwards.

You don’t think Roope Hintz is a top 180 forward in the NHL. Heck, he’s probably closer to the top 90...

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Most players on pace for 20 points aren’t considered a top 6 player.

His stats are completely misleading. He has turned it around since the All-Star break or around whenever he got moved up the lineup and got a bigger chance to play. Something like ~20 or so games and he is on a 48 point, 24 goal pace during that span. It's very easy to tell he is turning into a top 6 forward as he gets more confident and starts to bury these chances he is getting on a nightly basis.

Hintz didn't start the year as confident as he is offensively though and he started in a 4th line role. His stats you see are because of that

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012

The 90th best forward can be considered to be the average top6 forward. Forwards in the top 90 can be considered to be better than average top6 forwards, while forwards between top 90 and top 180 can be considered to be below average top6 forwards.

You don’t think Roope Hintz is a top 180 forward in the NHL. Heck, he’s probably closer to the top 90...

I think its pretty clear that he is not a top 180 forward in the NHL, I mean I'm glad for the guy that he has finally broken in but he is already 22 years old so if it didn't happen this year, it probably wasn't going to happen at all. There is a ridiculous amount of skill in the NHL as well as minor league and junior league systems that are chock full of guys with high potential so I think that Hintz will make some team happy as a really good third line center over time and can fill in for your second or first line center if needed. He's not going to be able to drive play at the NHl level, nor is he a natural goal scorer or playmaker. He reminds me a bit of a young Mathieu Perreault or a more skilled version of Radek Faksa for that matter. Either way, he could have a nice long NHL career but its no slam dunk that he is one of the 180 best forwards.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think it’s a little crazy to call him a top six forward at this moment, because he might just be on a hot streak. He’s looked fantastic since he’s been put on that top line though even when he’s not scoring he looks dangerous and creates a lot of chances. I want to keep him with Seguin-Radulov until he gives Monty a reason not to.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

No, I don't.

I think I've made my point pretty clear in that regard.

Rookie who puts up 30 points is a top 90 player in the league. Magical.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Just a friendly reminder for everyone that Hintz still has lower PPG this season than Janmark who nobody is arguing is a top 6 forward in the NHL.

Hintz has been playing great though. If he plays an entire season like he played the last few games he is capable of putting up 25-25 type numbers and being considered a top/middle 6 player for good. The challenge is maintaining what is currently a hot streak over 82 games.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Funny thing is, you're the only one that thinks this. Just shows dont need amazing IQ to have an opinion.

Shap Shots: L'Esperance's upbringing, Hintz' impressive play...
That's cool and all, then with his tools he should produce better.

Do you honestly think Seguin would call him stupid or something? He's going to call all his teammates smart in that context.
I’ve never really understood the low IQ comments. He makes lots of good defencive plays; always seems to be in the right position. His shot and playmaking aren’t high end, but he reads the play very well.
Defensive plays are the ones that are easy to learn, that's what even 4th liners do.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Do you honestly think Seguin would call him stupid or something? He's going to call all his teammates smart in that context.
Defensive plays are the ones that are easy to learn, that's what even 4th liners do.

I love spectators like this.

You're probably super qualified to make all these distinctions.

What NHL club are you playing for again?

Reactions: Kcb12345 and bebl

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

We don’t see anyone else in our bottom six being able to read the play and pick off passes like Hintz has been able to do a bunch of times. I’m not saying he’s a game breaking talent, but there nothing wrong about saying he’s been impressive.

Reactions: bebl

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I think it’s a little crazy to call him a top six forward at this moment, because he might just be on a hot streak. He’s looked fantastic since he’s been put on that top line though even when he’s not scoring he looks dangerous and creates a lot of chances. I want to keep him with Seguin-Radulov until he gives Monty a reason not to.

Yep, I agree 100%, he has looked really good and has earned the playing time. Ride the hot hand

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I think he has good overall IQ but lacks creativity and great puckhandling skills. I think he can develop into top-6 forward but don't see it yet.

Reactions: Ippenator

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Hintz looks much better when he's on the ice with other smart players - Seguin, Radulov, Heiskanen, etc. That's a pretty clear indicator that he thinks the game at or near their level.

I've liked him since his flowing locks made their debut on Canadian national TV, but most players will look better when they get to play with stars.

That said, he has looked great from what I have seen of the Stars lately. I am glad he's panning out for you guys.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I've liked him since his flowing locks made their debut on Canadian national TV, but most players will look better when they get to play with stars.

That said, he has looked great from what I have seen of the Stars lately. I am glad he's panning out for you guys.

Most players look better with star players, but the funny thing is every single forward on our roster has gotten a chance with star players and hasn't looked good :laugh:Hintz is the only exception

Reactions: Husqvarna

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hintz looks much better when he's on the ice with other smart players - Seguin, Radulov, Heiskanen, etc. That's a pretty clear indicator that he thinks the game at or near their level.
It's interesting. It's possible that perhaps he instead is poor at adapting to players who don't think at such a high level? Well, we'll see if he continues improving and producing. If he'd end up becoming a legitimate top 6 player that'd be a very pleasant surprise.

Hintz has been frustrating to me for years because he's always had skill but it's seemed to go to waste so I could be too harsh on him, as usual. Maybe it'll end up being similar to how it was with Kapanen.

Reactions: Lepardi

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It's interesting. It's possible that perhaps he instead is poor at adapting to players who don't think at such a high level? Well, we'll see if he continues improving and producing. If he'd end up becoming a legitimate top 6 player that'd be a very pleasant surprise.

Hintz has been frustrating to me for years because he's always had skill but it's seemed to go to waste so I could be too harsh on him, as usual. Maybe it'll end up being similar to how it was with Kapanen.

I think you may be confusing poor IQ for a lack of agility which can make him seem slow to make decisions and sometimes struggle to maintain his gaps and properly cover areas. At lower levels when he didn't have that disadvantage he was always praised for his IQ.

It's a subtle difference and I'm not sure I'm even right in my analysis but it may be something to watch for the next time you catch one of his games.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

This sounds like the top-6 forwards are the 180 best forwards in the league. I don't think that is the case at all. There are plenty of players in that top-180 who are not top-6 forwards because their team's offense is better than average.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
This sounds like the top-6 forwards are the 180 best forwards in the league. I don't think that is the case at all. There are plenty of players in that top-180 who are not top-6 forwards because their team's offense is better than average.
Yes, yes they are. You just got to understand that there can be a difference between good, average and bad top6 forwards. They’re all still top6 forwards technically.

Reactions: Ippenator

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Yes, yes they are. You just got to understand that there can be a difference between good, average and bad top6 forwards. They’re all still top6 forwards technically.

No. If we take the 180 best forwards in the NHL, there are plenty of guys in that group who are not top-6 forwards. And there are also guys who aren't among the best 200 forwards in the league but are still top-6 forwards because their teams don't have many options to fill those top-6 roles.

You are not a top-6 forward if you're the 150th best forward in the league but are playing 3rd line minutes on the third line. But you are a top-6 forward if you're the 220th best forward in the league and you're playing 2nd line minutes on the 2nd line.

Last edited:

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
No. If we take the 180 best forwards in the NHL, there are plenty of guys in that group who are not top-6 forwards. And there are also guys who aren't among the best 200 forwards in the league but are still top-6 forwards because their teams don't have many options to fill those top-6 roles.

You are not a top-6 forward if you're the 150th best forward in the league but are playing 3rd line minutes on the third line. But you are a top-6 forward if you're the 220th best forward in the league and you're playing 2nd line minutes on the 2nd line.
Geez. :D

So you mean that if Zach Hyman plays in Toronto’s top6 that means he’s a top6 forward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad