C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The argument for the prospect with the best pure shooting ability is tight, but Logan Stankoven should be in the mix. The Canadian sharp-shooter is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2021 NHL draft class, being ranked as early as 12th, and as late as 44th. The one constant in every scouting report, however, is the excellent shot that he possesses. What else does he bring to the table?

Deep Dive on 2021 Draft Prospect Logan Stankoven

I hope the best for him.. fantastic family and he is a very good junior player and obviously will get drafted but I really don't know when his name will be called.

I agree with the article saying he will definately need alot of development once he is drafted and teams will have to figure out where he best fits in a lineup. It's just his damn size that is a huge question mark... I realize we are seeing more and more smaller guys in the league now but he's quite short... it has him listed at 5'8, but even that is an exaggeration. Even at the U18s I was shocked at how small he even looked there.

Anyways, I am excited to see when/where he gets drafted and hopefully down the road he will become a steal if he gets drafted later... but for the mean time I will enjoy watching him put up a crap load of points in junior!!.. cool to see Kamloops Blazers an exciting team again.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The argument for the prospect with the best pure shooting ability is tight, but Logan Stankoven should be in the mix. The Canadian sharp-shooter is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2021 NHL draft class, being ranked as early as 12th, and as late as 44th. The one constant in every scouting report, however, is the excellent shot that he possesses. What else does he bring to the table?

Deep Dive on 2021 Draft Prospect Logan Stankoven
Hardest worker in the draft. High hockey IQ and Playmaking ability as well. Similar to Brayden Point in many ways.

Reactions: Dominance

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If another NHL team picks Stankoven, he might turn out similar to Brayden Point.....but if the Canucks pick him out of the Dub, he'll turn out more like Jakob Stukel.

That's just the way it is for the Canucks and draft picks out of the WHL.

Reactions: Bubbles

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Undersized forward Logan Stankoven was the fifth overall pick by the Kamloops Blazers in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft. He had an excellent rookie season in 2019-20, scoring 29 goals and 19 assists for 48 points in 59 games before the season was stopped due to the COVID Pandemic. Stankoven also played for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored four goals in five tournament games.

This season was limited once again due to the pandemic. Stankoven made the most of it though. He impressed scouts with seven goals and 10 points in six WHL games. He also helped Team Canada to a gold medal at the IIHF Under-20 World Championships. Stankoven put up four goals and eight points in seven tournament games.

In 2018-19 Stankoven played for Team BC at the Canada Winter Games. He was dominant in the tournament, scoring six goals and 13 points in seven games. He was also the BC Under-18 Player of the Year, scoring 49 goals and 101 points in 38 games for the Thompson Blazers U18 squad. In seven WHL games, he picked up one assist. In six playoff games, he had a goal and two points.

2021 NHL Draft #30: Logan Stankoven Scouting Report

Reactions: wings95 and Eegs

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Undersized workhorse, very talented and smart.

If he was 2 inches taller than his 5'8'', would be in the talk for top-10/12.

Hope he' ll still be available when my habs will make their call.

Dreaming cost nothing.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It’s his ceiling. Just meant stylistically. And Stankoven’s ceiling is massive if he hits.
and if he doesnt he ends up as a mediocre player in the end. he needs to go to the right team and org

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would say he's much closer to a Tyler Johnson then Point
Tyler Johnson was undrafted.

Stankoven has a stocky, balanced build that has a better chance at succeeding in the NHL than a guy like Schroeder, but who knows? Gaudreau is not thick, by any means, and has done all right for himself. Can see him getting picked anywhere from the early 20's on in the 1st round. Can't see him lasting till the 3rd. A lot depends on whether they think he can play C in the NHL. I think he looks very good. Dangerous offensively, and has an edge to him.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Tldr: I think he will score points but I think in the first round you should be looking for 200 foot players and I'm unconvinced that he's one.

The wrong questions are always asked. People are always looking for a specific comparison, basically either a top scorer or a guy left in the playoffs. Like, people will say here "oh he couldn't score points in the NHL." And then he will score some points, and then some other segment of the population will say "haha! told you so! he wasn't a bust after all he was an amazing underrated pick should have gone top X picks." Because he doesn't have to be Brayden Point or Alex Debrincat, there are so many short players, he could be Conor Garland or Vinnie Hinostroza or Tyler Johnson or Jonathan Marchessault or Cam Atkinson or Alex Kerfoot or Jesper Bratt or or.

But that doesn't necessarily make the pick worth it. Points are important, but in the modern day an individual's points have become in a way a sort of end all be all. If a player scores even a point per game, which is considered elite, top tier scoring. NHL teams average like 3 goals a game, so if you score one goal, with no added help and providing no detriment to your opponent's scoring abilities, and your opposing teams scores 3 goals, you lose 3-1. Now it's not as simple as that, obviously your teammates can score, you can detriment the other team's scoring abilities. But that's also assuming that you score a point every game, which is rare, most players struggle even to score 2 points in 3 games. There are a lot of players who score enough to make themselves look good, but don't do enough on the ice to make their team succeed. Particularly if you earn this point-scoring reputation, and you start getting more and more minutes. If you're playing around 20 minutes a game, a third of a game, and you score one point a game, when your team is expect to score 3 goals a game, you're not really increasing your team's expected goal totals. Even though, again, PPG is always seen as this mecca of scoring. And usually if someone is PPG, they absolutely are increasing their team's total expected goals, but it's not necessarily the case.

There's so much you can do with time on ice. Time on ice is an extremely valuable resource, if you have 20 minutes on the ice and more often than not when given 20 minutes, you can keep the opposing team out of the net for your third of the game, that's amazing, because suddenly the opposing team's expected goals (again, very roughly tabulated) decreased from 3 to 2. You can do things to increase the chances of your teammates scoring points even if you don't get scoring credit, things like winning battles for pucks, forechecking hard, protecting the puck long enough to get off quality passes, screening the goaltender on your teammates shots, etc. Even winning faceoffs, all these things can be really crucial. And you can even increase the chances of your teammates scoring who aren't even on the ice with you, by say successfully moving the puck out of your own zone, into the opposing zone, getting a stoppage and an offensive zone faceoff for your next line. All these things can be summarized as having a "200 foot game", but I think it can be hard to evaluate, with some shorter players in particular if they get like 1 or 2 neat poke checks every game people will say "he is great defensively." Well...

With smaller players it simply is harder to have the same amount of impact across other areas. Obviously Stankoven has a wicked shot, nice release, he's agile, he can handle the puck well. But all those things are mostly things that benefit him specifically. And at the highest level there are guys designed, whose sole purpose is making it harder for him to use those qualities in key moments. And there are many players in the league against whom, you probably can't stop them from scoring some points but you're ok if they do because one person won't score enough to turn the tide of a series. From what I've seen (I have no special access that others don't have on YT), he doesn't really impact those other areas of the game. Obviously, things can change, players can improve. But if he doesn't, what's the best case scenario? He scores enough points to earn himself a big contract but against teams where we really have to scratch and claw for every inch of advantage, does he affect the eventual outcome? I think ideally for first rounders you don't have to ask that question. Pure offense guys are necessary and can be valuable, but pretty much every year we see top scoring guys finish without the team accolades that they want. It's not simply the case that you draft this guy, he puts up some points and it was a great pick.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Tldr: I think he will score points but I think in the first round you should be looking for 200 foot players and I'm unconvinced that he's one.

The wrong questions are always asked. People are always looking for a specific comparison, basically either a top scorer or a guy left in the playoffs. Like, people will say here "oh he couldn't score points in the NHL." And then he will score some points, and then some other segment of the population will say "haha! told you so! he wasn't a bust after all he was an amazing underrated pick should have gone top X picks." Because he doesn't have to be Brayden Point or Alex Debrincat, there are so many short players, he could be Conor Garland or Vinnie Hinostroza or Tyler Johnson or Jonathan Marchessault or Cam Atkinson or Alex Kerfoot or Jesper Bratt or or.

But that doesn't necessarily make the pick worth it. Points are important, but in the modern day an individual's points have become in a way a sort of end all be all. If a player scores even a point per game, which is considered elite, top tier scoring. NHL teams average like 3 goals a game, so if you score one goal, with no added help and providing no detriment to your opponent's scoring abilities, and your opposing teams scores 3 goals, you lose 3-1. Now it's not as simple as that, obviously your teammates can score, you can detriment the other team's scoring abilities. But that's also assuming that you score a point every game, which is rare, most players struggle even to score 2 points in 3 games. There are a lot of players who score enough to make themselves look good, but don't do enough on the ice to make their team succeed. Particularly if you earn this point-scoring reputation, and you start getting more and more minutes. If you're playing around 20 minutes a game, a third of a game, and you score one point a game, when your team is expect to score 3 goals a game, you're not really increasing your team's expected goal totals. Even though, again, PPG is always seen as this mecca of scoring. And usually if someone is PPG, they absolutely are increasing their team's total expected goals, but it's not necessarily the case.

There's so much you can do with time on ice. Time on ice is an extremely valuable resource, if you have 20 minutes on the ice and more often than not when given 20 minutes, you can keep the opposing team out of the net for your third of the game, that's amazing, because suddenly the opposing team's expected goals (again, very roughly tabulated) decreased from 3 to 2. You can do things to increase the chances of your teammates scoring points even if you don't get scoring credit, things like winning battles for pucks, forechecking hard, protecting the puck long enough to get off quality passes, screening the goaltender on your teammates shots, etc. Even winning faceoffs, all these things can be really crucial. And you can even increase the chances of your teammates scoring who aren't even on the ice with you, by say successfully moving the puck out of your own zone, into the opposing zone, getting a stoppage and an offensive zone faceoff for your next line. All these things can be summarized as having a "200 foot game", but I think it can be hard to evaluate, with some shorter players in particular if they get like 1 or 2 neat poke checks every game people will say "he is great defensively." Well...

With smaller players it simply is harder to have the same amount of impact across other areas. Obviously Stankoven has a wicked shot, nice release, he's agile, he can handle the puck well. But all those things are mostly things that benefit him specifically. And at the highest level there are guys designed, whose sole purpose is making it harder for him to use those qualities in key moments. And there are many players in the league against whom, you probably can't stop them from scoring some points but you're ok if they do because one person won't score enough to turn the tide of a series. From what I've seen (I have no special access that others don't have on YT), he doesn't really impact those other areas of the game. Obviously, things can change, players can improve. But if he doesn't, what's the best case scenario? He scores enough points to earn himself a big contract but against teams where we really have to scratch and claw for every inch of advantage, does he affect the eventual outcome? I think ideally for first rounders you don't have to ask that question. Pure offense guys are necessary and can be valuable, but pretty much every year we see top scoring guys finish without the team accolades that they want. It's not simply the case that you draft this guy, he puts up some points and it was a great pick.
That's an interesting take. I think the same argument would apply to the majority of offensive forwards though.

This has me curious, what does your draft board look like?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Tyler Johnson was undrafted.

Stankoven has a stocky, balanced build that has a better chance at succeeding in the NHL than a guy like Schroeder, but who knows? Gaudreau is not thick, by any means, and has done all right for himself. Can see him getting picked anywhere from the early 20's on in the 1st round. Can't see him lasting till the 3rd. A lot depends on whether they think he can play C in the NHL. I think he looks very good. Dangerous offensively, and has an edge to him.

I don't see how whether someone was drafted or not or draft position has to do with playing style comparisons..

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
That's an interesting take. I think the same argument would apply to the majority of offensive forwards though.

This has me curious, what does your draft board look like?
As you can tell, I have a type. And I'm 100% sure my type isn't exactly correct, it's just one of many possible data points. And purely offensive forwards...they have a place in the game. Without one you can run into scoring issues. But I definitely do value them less than other people. And it's a spectrum right. So one forward may have a ton of offensive potential but very little 200 foot utility, some other player will have just as much offensive potential but maybe a little bit more 200 foot utility, and that makes the second prospect better.

So...Button's latest mock draft is definitely a bit of a meme...and yet it actually aligns quite a bit with my type. I really like the defensemen in the draft. And for forwards, probably Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, in that order, and McTavish is very attractive to me. There really isn't a lack of offense in this draft either, I think Fabian Lysell and Kent Johnson will definitely score a lot. Like even relative to each other, Lysell and Eklund have a lot of offensive potential, but at least at this point Eklund has shown more of a 200 foot game, so he's definitely the better prospect. I'm not going to put words in anyone's mouth, no one is comparing Stankoven to those 2, but even say if Eklund is better than Lysell, Lysell probably has probably even more offensive dynamism than Stankoven, while perhaps having the potential to be a better 2 way player. So he would likely be the better prospect there, and Stankoven might feel even more so like a niche prospect.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As you can tell, I have a type. And I'm 100% sure my type isn't exactly correct, it's just one of many possible data points. And purely offensive forwards...they have a place in the game. Without one you can run into scoring issues. But I definitely do value them less than other people. And it's a spectrum right. So one forward may have a ton of offensive potential but very little 200 foot utility, some other player will have just as much offensive potential but maybe a little bit more 200 foot utility, and that makes the second prospect better.

So...Button's latest mock draft is definitely a bit of a meme...and yet it actually aligns quite a bit with my type. I really like the defensemen in the draft. And for forwards, probably Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, in that order, and McTavish is very attractive to me. There really isn't a lack of offense in this draft either, I think Fabian Lysell and Kent Johnson will definitely score a lot. Like even relative to each other, Lysell and Eklund have a lot of offensive potential, but at least at this point Eklund has shown more of a 200 foot game, so he's definitely the better prospect. I'm not going to put words in anyone's mouth, no one is comparing Stankoven to those 2, but even say if Eklund is better than Lysell, Lysell probably has probably even more offensive dynamism than Stankoven, while perhaps having the potential to be a better 2 way player. So he would likely be the better prospect there, and Stankoven might feel even more so like a niche prospect.
I agree with a lot of what you say. The one thing with Stankoven is that he can skate.That leads me to believe that he can be made into a decent defensive player. Size...it's nice. Ideally, you'd have a huge guy who can skate, but in the absence of that I'll take speed. In most cases, all a defensive player has to do is simply be there between the puck and the net, and speed helps get him there. In board battles, i have seen time and time again that size is not the determining factor. It's usually quickness, IQ, balance, and small area skills. Strength is nice too, but it isn't everything.

What i am saying is that Stankoven's skating gives me hope that he will not be a one dimensional player in the NHL. I also like his balance, agility, and that he is kind of stocky for a smaller player. A guy like Zucker was a smallish, one dimensional scorer coming out of college, but MN, after a painful period of benchings and 4th line duties, made him into an above average defensive player. His superior skating helped him get in on the forecheck, and back on the backcheck. All he needed was the prodding to backcheck, forecheck, and the like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad