C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm gonna be very interested when he is drafted. Wouldn't be surprised if a team takes a shot on him in 2nd ish round but also wouldn't be surprised if he's a late round pick.

This draft will be a very interesting one

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he'll be picked in the first few rounds.

However, I would be shocked if this guy remains a center. How many 5'7 centers have there been in the NHL the last 20 years?

You start out with the idea that he's going to move to wing. A 5'7 goal scoring winger. We've seen some of those types of players drafted in the first few rounds. As we saw with Caufield, and even Rossi, teams are going to hold size against a player. You probably aren't going to be picked in the first half of the first round at 5'7. He also still has the WJC18 to play and probably some more league games, so I wouldn't be sure yet where exactly he'll go. I'd guess its a range of about 20-60, and the next few months will help decide whether thats the high end or low end of that range.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How does he compare to Yamamoto, both in terms of skillset and talent level?

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
How does he compare to Yamamoto, both in terms of skillset and talent level?
the shape of his mouth looks pretty similar, and they've both got brown eyes, so there's definitely some similarity there. stankoven's jaw is a little more prominent, and he has bit of a wider nose. they're both pretty short, but i think stankoven is bigger than yamamoto was at eighteen. they're both from the pacific northwest (british columbia / washington), so i wouldn't be surprised if their accents are similar, but i honestly haven't heard either of these guys talk.

oh skillset and talent, nevermind.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Teams are going to regret passing on him.

Hoping for him, Cossa, or Othmann are available when the Oilers pick. Love what Stankoven brings.

Reactions: Dominance

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Absolute stud. Hardest worker you’ll ever meet. Insane release on his shot, probably has the best shot in the draft. Teams will make a mistake passing on him. Late 1st rounder forsure

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
He’s great, but I don’t see much upside. He may have hit his ceiling. Top notch shot, skating, and motor. Will he be a stud in the NHL? Probably not.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Reached his ceiling as an 18 year old? He's gotten better every year and now he just stops developing? Odd take

Yes. He has NHL skating and NHL shot and plays with a tonne of energy. Do you think he has a lot of upside on those fronts? Do you think he has a lot of physical upside? He is 5’7” and solid / built like a tank. He is an early ‘03 and has short parents. He is essentially full grown.

His game will continue to refine — general IQ, playmaking, passing — but it’s not like these are going to be step change refinements.

My point is that he is really good, but unlike some of the prospects that are more raw (ex: Del Mastro), with Stankoven it is more of a case of ‘what you see is what you get’ and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: BigHitter67

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yes. He has NHL skating and NHL shot and plays with a tonne of energy. Do you think he has a lot of upside on those fronts? Do you think he has a lot of physical upside? He is 5’7” and solid / built like a tank. He is an early ‘03 and has short parents. He is essentially full grown.

His game will continue to refine — general IQ, playmaking, passing — but it’s not like these are going to be step change refinements.

My point is that he is really good, but unlike some of the prospects that are more raw (ex: Del Mastro), with Stankoven it is more of a case of ‘what you see is what you get’ and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

So would you say 18 year old McDavid was peak McDavid? He was fully grown and really good at what he did, so surely that applies to him too? Wouldn't you rather a more raw prospect?

I would love to draft after you every year

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
McDavud was an absolute stud at 18 and pretty sure he is today. Stankoven is not a McDavid, or are you actually suggesting he is simply a 5’7” McDavid?

McDavid probably added 20lbs to his frame since U18 and added strength to his finesse / skill game, and even greater power to his ridiculous skating. Stankoven simply can’t do that.

I like Stankoven. I would draft him. But I think the upside isn’t there for him to be a stud in the NHL. Happy to be wrong on this and appreciate your viewpoint. We’ll see who wins the fantasy draft.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Reading as much hockey blogging / articles as I do, if there was one word I wish I could remove from the English language...

STUD

I have grown to hate that term.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
McDavud was an absolute stud at 18 and pretty sure he is today. Stankoven is not a McDavid, or are you actually suggesting he is simply a 5’7” McDavid?

McDavid probably added 20lbs to his frame since U18 and added strength to his finesse / skill game, and even greater power to his ridiculous skating. Stankoven simply can’t do that.

I like Stankoven. I would draft him. But I think the upside isn’t there for him to be a stud in the NHL. Happy to be wrong on this and appreciate your viewpoint. We’ll see who wins the fantasy draft.

Nope, not saying he's a 5'7" McDavid. I'm saying if a world class generational talent can add to their game, so can this kid?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there's a point there that his skating/motor/shot are all good, but his size is an obvious impediment, and I'm not sure his offensive game or defensive game is really all that effective. How good is his hockey sense, playmaking, stick skills? I've not seen that many games, but those are some areas I would say that I haven't been very impressed. He looks flashy because he's this small guy built like a truck who works really hard, skates well, and can shoot it well from a standstill, but how good of a hockey player is he at the highest levels? He's likely an early round pick because he's statistically been good compared to his competition. I'm just not sure I see first round talent, and I'm not sure he's a player I'd be all that thrilled to draft due to what is probably a lack of upside.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He’s great, but I don’t see much upside. He may have hit his ceiling. Top notch shot, skating, and motor. Will he be a stud in the NHL? Probably not.

What an awful take lmao. So because he has an NHL ready shot and NHL level skating and motor can't improve? I'm speechless :laugh: Trust me, we'll be looking back at this comment in 3-4 years when he's an NHL Top 9 regular

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The argument for the prospect with the best pure shooting ability is tight, but Logan Stankoven should be in the mix. The Canadian sharp-shooter is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2021 NHL draft class, being ranked as early as 12th, and as late as 44th. The one constant in every scouting report, however, is the excellent shot that he possesses. What else does he bring to the table?

Deep Dive on 2021 Draft Prospect Logan Stankoven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad