C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
Stankoven should get more hype. The Dallas Stars should get more hype. But geography (Dallas isn't close to other teams), market (not a traditional cold weather &/or Canadian locale), and convenience bias (70% of the hockey media is in Canada, other 30% is mostly in the Northeast US, thus Dallas gets ignored more) lead to Stankoven not getting the hype train he deserves.

Stankoven isn't a soft perimeter player that we sometimes overhype pre/post draft, he's a bulldog and finds ways to get the job done every time. Remember, he was right there with Guenther (2021, 9th) and Sillinger (2021, 12th) in u17 Dub scoring back in 2019-20, he was a known quantity before COVID hit. Dallas really lucked out since Gaglardi owns the Kamloops Blazers, plus they saw Stankoven play right in their backyard in Dallas/Frisco for the 2021 U18 during the pandemic.
Having the 2021 U18’s in their backyard really helped. They got to see both Johnston and Stankoven.

It’s funny, I really wanted Stankoven at 23 and was mad they took Johnston. Ignorant as I am I thought it was a “safe Dellandrea” type pick. When we had Stankoven fall into our laps at 47 I was pumped. With them and the emergence of Harley, I am very confident and happy with our scouting.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Does having the U18s in Frisco really make any difference? Every team is scouting the tournament.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Does having the U18s in Frisco really make any difference? Every team is scouting the tournament.
Yes, but more personnel able to watch (travel restrictions, teams not wanting to spend the extra money during the pandemic to send scouts there when franchises weren't making money) as it was a home tournament for Dallas may have given them everything they needed to be confident in Johnston and Stankoven.

Having the 2021 U18’s in their backyard really helped. They got to see both Johnston and Stankoven.

It’s funny, I really wanted Stankoven at 23 and was mad they took Johnston. Ignorant as I am I thought it was a “safe Dellandrea” type pick. When we had Stankoven fall into our laps at 47 I was pumped. With them and the emergence of Harley, I am very confident and happy with our scouting.
Johnston was only seen a low ceiling player because we had no idea of his ceiling due to the O not playing that year due to COVID and Johnston didn't go to the USHL or any European Pro league. If 2020-21 was a normal junior season, Johnston probably puts up 80+ points and is a top 15 or even top 10 pick.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes, but more personnel able to watch (travel restrictions, teams not wanting to spend the extra money during the pandemic to send scouts there when franchises weren't making money) as it was a home tournament for Dallas may have given them everything they needed to be confident in Johnston and Stankoven.

Who is this added personnel though? All the teams scouting staff is located across the world, so being in Frisco doesn't make any difference for the amateur scouts.

Then you add in front office staff, Nill, White, and Janko.. maybe two guys there that wouldn't attend a normal U18 but I don't think they have much/any say at the draft table.

So being in Texas really makes no difference IMO.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Who is this added personnel though? All the teams scouting staff is located across the world, so being in Frisco doesn't make any difference for the amateur scouts.

Then you add in front office staff, Nill, White, and Janko.. maybe two guys there that wouldn't attend a normal U18 but I don't think they have much/any say at the draft table.

So being in Texas really makes no difference IMO.
True, it's probably just the fact that they add all the intel they needed because Gaglardi owns Kamloops where Stankoven played his junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad