C Logan Stankoven - Texas, AHL (2021, 47th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
All the signs were there. No idea how so many teams passed

Yeah, it makes no sense. It's like they learned after Debrincat with Caufield then took 2 steps back and didn't trust Stankoven. I know they have differences in their games, but youd think sooner rather than later teams will start taking these short kids who are showing very good scoring ability in the first round like they should.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah, it makes no sense. It's like they learned after Debrincat with Caufield then took 2 steps back and didn't trust Stankoven. I know they have differences in their games, but youd think sooner rather than later teams will start taking these short kids who are showing very good scoring ability in the first round like they should.

He went in the second round, not the 5th...you guys know that right?

I mean I really like the guy too but the reality is that there are alot of guys like him who simply don't translate to the next level.

for what is is worth I think he could adapt to an excellent 3rd line guy at the next level so 47th overall wasn't really a reach or too much risk.

Reactions: Bubbles

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He went in the second round, not the 5th...you guys know that right?

I mean I really like the guy too but the reality is that there are alot of guys like him who simply don't translate to the next level.

for what is is worth I think he could adapt to an excellent 3rd line guy at the next level so 47th overall wasn't really a reach or too much risk.
And so did Debrincat. Guys like Debrincat and Stankoven are absolutely first-round talent and should be taken somewhere in the early 20s. They drop because of size. So yeah its not like he fell to the 5th, but someone with his game and scoring ability should without a doubt be a first-rounder and its shocking teams keep letting guys like this slide out of the first while each year a team will gladly pick a large kid with less than impressive skills purely because of how big he is.

Im not saying all short players need to be picked higher, what I saying is when someone is short but is producing like crazy at a young age, and not feeding off someone but generating offense himself then teams need to stop having him drop on their boards because of size.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It makes you wonder if team really look at the microstats of prospects, too.

Young for draft, check.
Driving play on his team, check.
Production, check.
International tournament production, check.
High shot rate, check.
Work rate, check.
Not afraid to get to dirty areas, check.
Skating, (average), check.

I think he could play anywhere in the top 9. He is the best faceoff man in the WHL this year in addition to everything else, too.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
(Pro) scouting even today, is not par with the level of professionalism what the hockey itself is at.

In a way, where the NHL is going is great, but in the same time, there are tons of old times scouts
there who think the hockey the old way, at least it would make sense why
scouts (and experts in media) still over look these shorter players.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The scouts can’t blame it on a shortened season either, Stankoven was producing as a 16 year old in the whl. Nice to see him get some recognition here.

Reactions: Dominance

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The fact that the Stars managed to draft both Johnston and Stankoven is borderline cheating.

After so many rough drafts for Dallas, it seems they mightve come out on top of a couple for once. Their 2020 and 2021 drafts are looking reallyyy good

Oh and that 2017 draft lol

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
After so many rough drafts for Dallas, it seems they mightve come out on top of a couple for once. Their 2020 and 2021 drafts are looking reallyyy good

Wyatt Johnston and Logan Stankoven are ridiculous 1st and 2nd rounders
to have nabbed.

Some serious high end skill, I was a big fan of Stankoven in his draft year and the way he played at the U-18s. Which ironically enough were held
in Texas in his draft year.

Reactions: Dominance

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Oh and that 2017 draft lol

Says a lot about drafting in general...did something change in 2017?

Because they got no one useful from the 2014 and 2016 drafts.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Says a lot about drafting in general...did something change in 2017?

Because they got no one useful from the 2014 and 2016 drafts.

Mentality has changed more recently, they are willing to take smaller, skilled players. Before they would always take big hulking players that would have low ceiling, high floor. They were so risk adverse.

It's still the same scouting staff, same director of scouting but the mindset has shifted probably from management if I had to guess.

Reactions: Bubbles

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
1 assist vs Spokane - after 1 period...

GPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGFOW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad