C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah. Sitting is "best for their development." Or we have to develop other sub 40 point players to see if they can become 40 point players, rather than using the one we have already.
I didn't realize getting first line minutes in the AHL was sitting...

Reactions: Monk

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Looks like his confidence is still good. His peers who I think are in the same tier as him are McTavish and Johnston. Both spent last year in the NHL taking reps as 3rd line C and worked their way up the line up.

At some point we are going to have to say this is a Columbus development/deployment issue not a KJ issue.

What on earth are you talking about?

Reactions: Monk

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Do we still see the elite offensive upside?
His offensive ability will always be there. He’s going to obviously need to improve in all areas but I don’t see why he can’t be a 60-70 point guy.

It depends on your definition of “elite” but I don’t think he was ever looked at as a guy that is going to be like top 15-20 in scoring in the NHL.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Do we still see the elite offensive upside?
Tricky.

I absolutely loved KJ heading into his draft and thought it was a great pick for the Jackets. And, I haven't soured on the pick, but I am questioning if Johnson will ever reach ppg upside, let alone elite (which I consider 100+). The fact that he just settled on the level of contract he did tells me that the Jackets have concerns and questions about said upside.

Watching Johnson play quite a bit confuses matters even more. Because the "glimpses" are there. But there is a softness and fragility to his game that I think hurts him long-term. I can't quite specify it yet, but it's just a gut feeling when watching him play. Is he going to blossom a little bit later like Mittelstadt has? Or is he going to fizzle out like some other forwards who graced us with flashes of eye-popping brilliance only to bounce around a few stops before vanishing for good? Not sure about Johnson at this point, tbh... but the skill is undeniable.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Watching Johnson play quite a bit confuses matters even more. Because the "glimpses" are there. But there is a softness and fragility to his game that I think hurts him long-term. I can't quite specify it yet, but it's just a gut feeling when watching him play.

I wonder what you're trying to grasp at, because it's fairly simple to me that weak and slow is a really tough combination to succeed with in the NHL. That was my big concern in his draft year and it's still an issue now. Not that he won't be good but it will be hard for him to be a great player with those constraints.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tricky.

I absolutely loved KJ heading into his draft and thought it was a great pick for the Jackets. And, I haven't soured on the pick, but I am questioning if Johnson will ever reach ppg upside, let alone elite (which I consider 100+). The fact that he just settled on the level of contract he did tells me that the Jackets have concerns and questions about said upside.

Watching Johnson play quite a bit confuses matters even more. Because the "glimpses" are there. But there is a softness and fragility to his game that I think hurts him long-term. I can't quite specify it yet, but it's just a gut feeling when watching him play. Is he going to blossom a little bit later like Mittelstadt has? Or is he going to fizzle out like some other forwards who graced us with flashes of eye-popping brilliance only to bounce around a few stops before vanishing for good? Not sure about Johnson at this point, tbh... but the skill is undeniable.
Almost exactly my feelings about Johnson. I think i might have described him as the next Mittelstadt, but for some reason assumed that he wouldn't have the early struggles that CM did.

If the guy works hard in the off season then he can improve his strength and speed. Hell, if Rossi can do it, he can do it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Almost exactly my feelings about Johnson. I think i might have described him as the next Mittelstadt, but for some reason assumed that he wouldn't have the early struggles that CM did.

If the guy works hard in the off season then he can improve his strength and speed. Hell, if Rossi can do it, he can do it.

He's been training for about the last half year while his shoulder recovers, I imagine all lower body workouts until this summer.

Not that this injury is worth it - shoulder health is so important - but KJ needed gym time more than game time. It's been that way for years. Everyone's fussing about his minutes and his gp and I was worried that he was playing too many games to fill out.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He's been training for about the last half year while his shoulder recovers, I imagine all lower body workouts until this summer.

Not that this injury is worth it - shoulder health is so important - but KJ needed gym time more than game time. It's been that way for years. Everyone's fussing about his minutes and his gp and I was worried that he was playing too many games to fill out.
I do think if he can get a little thicker and keep him same play style he'll be a great piece to play besides Fantilli or Lindstrom.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Fantilli AND Lindstrom.

KJ - Lindstrom - Fantilli

:D
I mean it's not entirely too far off base. It really depends on how well Johnny and Monahan hold up. If they can find some chemistry with a guy like Laine/Chinny/Marchy... They could have that top line locked up for the next 2-5 years.

And not to get too far off topic, but if Laine can accept his shooting role, he could be a perfect fit on that line with Johnny/Monahan.

But I digress.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium