C Frederik Gauthier (2013, 21st, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Look at all the assists he's racking up. This guy has eyes in the back of his head. The only problem is he doesn't have eyes in the front of his head.

Macman

May 15, 2004
are you just reading a stat sheet when you say that or do you actually have any analysis behind your opinion? Too many people around here confuse hockeydb with how to project an NHL player. He wasn't drafted to score and we all should know that. Hunter said just last week on Leafs Lunch how happy they are with him. Now drafting a defensive forward in round 1 is a different debate, but tbh I have no problem with it at that point in the 1st. He's on track to do what we drafted him to do by all accounts.

That's not entirely true. Yes, he was drafted largely because his defensive awareness was so good for a young forward but also with the belief and hope that his offence would develop in his final two years in junior. That hasn't happened. No one drafts a defence-only forward where he was taken.

His GM in Rimouski, Phillippe Boucher, said after Gauthier was taken by Leafs: “I think he’ll eventually be a No. 2 centre ... He's got a lot of upside."

Dave Nonis at the draft: "He does have offence. The two-way part of his game is what we found attractive.â€

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/06/30/nhl_draft_maple_leafs_pick_frederik_gauthier.html

cdasman04

Jun 28, 2010
Orillia, ON
That's not entirely true. Yes, he was drafted largely because his defensive awareness was so good for a young forward but also with the belief and hope that his offence would develop in his final two years in junior. That hasn't happened. No one drafts a defence-only forward where he was taken.

His GM in Rimouski, Phillippe Boucher, said after Gauthier was taken by Leafs: “I think he’ll eventually be a No. 2 centre ... He's got a lot of upside."

Dave Nonis at the draft: "He does have offence. The two-way part of his game is what we found attractive.â€

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/06/30/nhl_draft_maple_leafs_pick_frederik_gauthier.html

That is hoping for him to reach a peak, which isn't impossible still btw. But let's face it, he was always projected as a shut down 3rd center. Speaking generally in terms of offense about a defensive forward and then getting mad when it appears he might not reach that offensive ceiling is a little weak. Look at the numbers for even getting an NHL player at that point in the draft. If he becomes a PK guy for us I am more than happy. Not every pick is a home run, sometimes you take the lay up on skills that are easier to project in your bottom 6.

And frankly at this point I'd prefer he just keep working on D and face offs over offense. He is what he is now, if he becomes a shut down #3 center for us we are all the better for it. Every good team needs a center like that.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Can't wait for him to be on the Marlies next year. His game could very well be better suited for the pro's.

How has he looked for those watching him this series? Stat line is okay, 10 points in 9 games (3rd on his team) 54% in the dot is also alright.

How has he been used? Shut-down role? Easier minutes? Etc...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I kind of wonder if he is the kind of guy who could benefit from an overage year?

DD51*

I kind of wonder if he is the kind of guy who could benefit from an overage year?

A couple of seasons at AHL level will help him. But he will be a third line center at best at NHL level. Like DeLaRose in Montreal.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
A couple of seasons at AHL level will help him. But he will be a third line center at best at NHL level. Like DeLaRose in Montreal.

I agree that he will be a 3rd line center, I think the difference is that I think he will be dominant in that role, kind of like a supercharged Martin Hanzal with some better scoring ability (or at least playmaking ability). The big guys seem to take longer to develop but you can imagine this guy playing center at 6'5 230lbs, winning a ton of face-offs and chipping in at a pretty nice pace scoring wise.....I don't think 40 pts in the NHL is out of his reach.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Could still see him making the NHL after a couple of years in the AHL. Probably a fourth liner though. Really needs to work on his skating at the next level.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Could still see him making the NHL after a couple of years in the AHL. Probably a fourth liner though. Really needs to work on his skating at the next level.

Thankfully, the Leafs have one of the best skating consutants in The business with Underhill, who should be able to help the goat out in that area. I don't ever expect him to be an elite skater, but I'm sure that with Underhill, he can certainly learn to skate at a solid NHL level.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
Thankfully, the Leafs have one of the best skating consutants in The business with Underhill, who should be able to help the goat out in that area. I don't ever expect him to be an elite skater, but I'm sure that with Underhill, he can certainly learn to skate at a solid NHL level.

Didn't she get fired too?

Chips*

Gauthier has been one of the best player on the ice in the playoffs (in the Q). Is this what we should expect going forward, or an abnormal, yet well-timed hot streak?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
How this guy was a first rounder is beyond me.

Guy should have been maybe an early 3rd rounder, and that is being generous

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

You do realize his nickname is "the GOAT"... You don't get that kind of nickname from being some scrub. Seriously wouldn't be surprised to see him breaking records in the NHL as early as next year.

Sharpen up.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

lol a prospect that you have no affiliation with drives you so crazy that you search up a month old thread to gripe? :dunno:

He's the #1C on one of the memorial cup final teams. Had consistent (not declining) PPG numbers as a shutdown center, and is 6'4. Guys of his size and defensive acumen with PPG numbers in his draft year go in the 1st round.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
lol a prospect that you have no affiliation with drives you so crazy that you search up a month old thread to gripe? :dunno:

He's the #1C on one of the memorial cup final teams. Had consistent (not declining) PPG numbers as a shutdown center, and is 6'4. Guys of his size and defensive acumen with PPG numbers in his draft year go in the 1st round.

Draft year NOPE
post draft year NOPE
This year NOPE

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

Don't speak ill of the GOAT or your team will never be successful again. For your sake, apologize immediately and he may take mercy by only scoring 3 points in his debut game against your team.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Gauthier is a man playing against boys and he doesn't look like one. I can't imagine him being an NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad