C Frederik Gauthier (2013, 21st, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
:laugh:

I think that there is a 51.6% chance that he becomes a regular, big, solid draw man, who can kill penalties.

You realize he's actually not that great at faceoffs right? I think he hovers around ~53% which doesn't exactly foreshadow anything special at the next level.

91Kadri91*

In hindsight and at the draft this was not the best pick given who was available.

Projecting him as a Bergeron type is like almost impossible - it would take a miracle where he woke up with hands, a better hockey IQ, and skating ability.

As of now it looks like he will be a good 3C/great 4C for the Leafs. Hope they do give him time to develop his skills and improve before throwing him in the NHL.

His hockey-IQ seems quite high to me, and his skating is impressive for his size. He did very well in the CHL top prospects skating competition(s) in his draft year, for what it's worth. Strome, on the other hand, ranked near the bottom in most of the skating exercises this year (just to give it a bit of perspective).

His hands are really, really lousy though. I don't think they will prevent him from becoming a useful player at the NHL, but they will certainly prevent him from becoming a star.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I noticed how nobody in this thread acknowledged your post about the comparison to Lowry. Lowry was who immediately came to mind as a comparison for Gauthier.

Lowry was touted as a big, defensive C who needed to work on his quickness.

The main differences are: 1) Lowry is very physical and aggressive. Leads the Jets in hits this season; 2) Lowry was actually a very good scorer in junior in his draft+2 season (was injured for most of his draft+1).

Lowry's skating has improved markedly since being drafted. He could still work a bit on quickness, but he moves very well for a 6'5" player.

In his Draft +2 year Lowry scored 45 goals averaged 1.22 points a game and was named WHL player of the year. This really is is a lot better than the 16 goals and 32 points in 37 games Gauthier put up at the same age. Lowry was simply a MUCH better player at the same age.

In addition to being injured his draft +1 year Lowry had Mono his draft year and was one of the 1 in 20 kids who was still growing at 18. His skating issues were more around stride and quickness, but part of that was undoubtedly the due to him growing 10 inches after he started playing in the WHL, which can mess with skating. Speed was never really an issue for him, he's always been relatively fast once he got moving.

While there were some similarities up to their draft +1 year with Lowry you could still pick out reasons why he was underachieving offensively, which isn't really the case with Gauthier IMO.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Similar stats in their draft year. both PPG junior.
Don't write anyone off until you give them a chance to prove themselves as a pro.

Bergeron went from Midget AAA to 73 points in the Q to straight to the NHL. Had he played jr. until age 19, he would have been a 100+ pt player quite easily.

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014
I think he is a surefire NHL player, but not what he was hyped up to me on draft day. Now he will be a great defensive 3rd/4th line centre. Great player to have on a team, but not a great player to take first round.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Would be great if Gauthier could develop the offensive side of his game.

It seems his offensive production has stagnated and hasn't shown any improvement the past 3 years, which is discouraging to see.

buttman*

Would be great if Gauthier could develop the offensive side of his game.

It seems his offensive production has stagnated and hasn't shown any improvement the past 3 years, which is discouraging to see.

If all Gauthier is, is a 40 point guy that can match up against the oppositions top lines, kill penalties and the last minute of the game -- that's is good enough.

The Leafs have lacked a good defensive center for a long time.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If all Gauthier is, is a 40 point guy that can match up against the oppositions top lines, kill penalties and the last minute of the game -- that's is good enough.

If he can do all that at 30 points it's good enough.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

That would make him the Leafs' 6th highest scorer right now, lol. Don't know if he ever spurs an offense to the point that he gets those kinds of points regularly in the role(s) he'll probably find himself filling. But you never know. Game could change, too.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver

You should be happy if he ever gets 20 points. He's pretty similar to David Steckel and Steckel has never hit 20 points. If he hits 40 points (which he wont, not even close) you guys should be the happiest mother****ers ever because in todays NHL that 2nd line number.

Guys like Henrique, Stafford, Lethera, Sharp, Marchand, Schenn and Williams are 40 point guys this season.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

A 40 point guy?

20 point fourth liners tend to have better Junior stats.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Watching him the WJC it was apparent he is not a great defensive center. He is a very strong penalty killer (at that level), but not a great defensive center. He was consistantly a pylon in the nuetral zone as he has no foot speed to get in front of players. In a box which is very static and requires a lot less foot speed, he was smart, great reach and used his stick well.

Personally I'd try and convert him to a D man. Skating less of an issue, he does have a good shot if he gets the time to get his weight into it. He is positionally smart and has a very good stick. What he does not have is the foot speed required to play in the nuetral zone, nor the offensive instincts to play in the oiffensive zone.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
As of right now he looks like a 4th liner.

Which is where he'd end up even if he projected as a 2nd/3rd line centre. We'll get what we believe will be a first line centre in either this draft or next years, then you have Kadri and Holland at 2/3.

Strome/Marner/Matthews
Kadri
Holland/Verhaeghe/???
Gauthier/Carrick/Mckegg/???

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

If Gauthier ever comes close to 40 points you should be absolutely ecstatic..

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I don't really see Gauthier as an NHL prospect. At this point I will be more tha happy if he plays a minute in the NHL.

buttman*

I don't really see Gauthier as an NHL prospect. At this point I will be more tha happy if he plays a minute in the NHL.

I don't think you understand hockey very well and that there are different roles to be played.

Have a look at the third and fourth liners on LA and there bottom pairing Dmen.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
You realize he's actually not that great at faceoffs right? I think he hovers around ~53% which doesn't exactly foreshadow anything special at the next level.

Tournament #1 at the world juniors at faceoffs and was Canadas number one at faceoffs the year before as an 18 year old.

Why rip on the guy for something he does really well?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That's why I put the probability of reaching that potential at just over 50%.... ;)

I won't be shocked if Gauthier becomes a good 3rd line C, but I also won't be surprised if he never amounts to more than a decent 4th line C, mostly because he was a 1st-round pick and is big. He'll get opportunities to develop that a lot of other players wouldn't.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He hasn't shown anything yet that translates to a 40-point player, and he'll need to greatly improve his quickness and puck-moving skills to match up against top lines. There's much more to defensive play than being a "checking" forward, especially if he is going to play at center.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As of right now he looks like a 4th liner.

Which is fine. Chances are pretty good we're taking Strome/Marner, we already have Kadri, plus if we're as bad as we think we're going to be we have a chance at Matthews next year. Our center depth is going to get pretty jammed up soon. Having a 6 ft 5 4th line center with his ability and match-up terrors for the other team is a perfect situation for both player and team. Good luck to anyone who has to go up against him on the 4th line center match-up. He has great possession and board skills.

Plus he also dominates at the dot. #1 guy at the WJHC.

I don't get the Gauthier hate. Not every single prospect or player is going to be that flashy first line winger or center. There are roles to fill and Gauthier fills that 3rd-4th line C spot quite nicely.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Which is fine. Chances are pretty good we're taking Strome/Marner, we already have Kadri, plus if we're as bad as we think we're going to be we have a chance at Matthews next year. Our center depth is going to get pretty jammed up soon. Having a 6 ft 5 4th line center with his ability and match-up terrors for the other team is a perfect situation for both player and team. Good luck to anyone who has to go up against him on the 4th line center match-up. He has great possession and board skills.

I don't think anyone is going to be terrified of Gauthier unless he improves a lot. He's not even a "match-up terror" in the QMJHL, mostly against players that are younger and much smaller than him. Hard to see him terrorizing NHLers any time soon. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad