C Frederik Gauthier (2013, 21st, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Bergeron wasn't first round pick...going to be odd exception. But you draft on exceptions...you'll be burnt

But style-wise, you're much closer. Besides, they came from the same league. And had similar stats. And were both in their rookie year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
But style-wise, you're much closer. Besides, they came from the same league. And had similar stats. And were both in their rookie year.

Bergeron was a fluke draftee, slipped by every team some teams twice. Flukes will happen...like Gallagher 5th round..better than our first round pick that year. But you can't say therefore 5th round picks are better than 1st round picks. Drafts gotta be averaged out over large term or chances you will waste a pick.

I think Habs will take Gauthier if they draft 20th+, but not if they miss the playoffs. Unless he turns it up a notch in playoffs and U18 tourny.

Zeroknowledge*

Bergeron was a fluke draftee, slipped by every team some teams twice. Flukes will happen...like Gallagher 5th round..better than our first round pick that year. But you can't say therefore 5th round picks are better than 1st round picks. Drafts gotta be averaged out over large term or chances you will waste a pick.

I think Habs will take Gauthier if they draft 20th+, but not if they miss the playoffs. Unless he turns it up a notch in playoffs and U18 tourny.

I wouldn't necessarily call Gallagher a better pick/player than Tinordi. Now if he was a 2009 than yes would have been a better pick than our first.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
For someone who watches him regularly, would Martin Hanzal be a good comparison?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't necessarily call Gallagher a better pick/player than Tinordi. Now if he was a 2009 than yes would have been a better pick than our first.

Taking a French Canadian in '09 just because he is a french Canadian was mistake we made back then. Going to be no more Louis Leblanc. Probably reason why Gauthier so overhyped on Habs board though

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Taking a French Canadian in '09 just because he is a french Canadian was mistake we made back then. Going to be no more Louis Leblanc. Probably reason why Gauthier so overhyped on Habs board though

It's alarming that people still actually think this is true.

Gotta love the irony the Habs organization is doomed to. If you don't draft Quebecois players, you're ignoring talent in your own backyard. If you do draft them, it's because you're bypassing better talent just to cater to the locals. Both arguments have been used at varying times in equal measure. It's embarassing.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Gotta love the irony the Habs organization is doomed to. If you don't draft Quebecois players, you're ignoring talent in your own backyard. If you do draft them, it's because you're bypassing better talent just to cater to the locals. Both arguments have been used at varying times in equal measure. It's embarassing.

A lot of talent was available....O'Reilly, Kreider, Erizon. Draft in Montreal that year, it was their 100th anniversary definitely played factors in Leblanc being chosen by Montreal. Leblanc was overrated...never played in higher league, headed to Harvard. No other reason for Habs choice. That's a lot of talent they by-passed for a guy who never played at high level before. Leblanc will play in NHL..but kind of like a Tom Pyatt type

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

People seem to have forgotten that Leblanc at #18 that year was by no means a stretch. As I remember it, Habs fans were just hoping he'd still be on the board, because he was a highly touted prospect.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Rimouski is playing Moncton tonight on most Sportsnet channels. Moncton isn't far off Rimouski in the standings, should be a great chance to see what Gauthier can do against good competition.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
People seem to have forgotten that Leblanc at #18 that year was by no means a stretch. As I remember it, Habs fans were just hoping he'd still be on the board, because he was a highly touted prospect.

Not to mention that if we had this conversation this time last year, people wouldn't be writing off Leblanc so hard. A setback's a setback. He'll recover or he won't. But that doesn't mean it wasn't an understandable pick.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Rimouski is playing Moncton tonight on most Sportsnet channels. Moncton isn't far off Rimouski in the standings, should be a great chance to see what Gauthier can do against good competition.

I think Gauthier is a waste of first round pick. Players his size don't translate well to NHL game. They underachieve...Anthropov, Veilluex, Boyle, Jessiman, Graham, Pouliot. Most I would take him is 2nd round...he would make a good 3rd line center

arsmaster*

I think Gauthier is a waste of first round pick. Players his size don't translate well to NHL game. They underachieve...Anthropov, Veilluex, Boyle, Jessiman, Graham, Pouliot. Most I would take him is 2nd round...he would make a good 3rd line center
Yeah. That Getzlaf guy is pretty brutal, same as that Thornton guy, and that Primeau guy too.

Horrible argument mats.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Yeah. That Getzlaf guy is pretty brutal, same as that Thornton guy, and that Primeau guy too.

Horrible argument mats.

Some guys named Lemieux, Lindros and Sundin should also be familiar. They totally sucked. :sarcasm:

I've never seen Gauthier play, but to dismiss his NHL potential just because of his size is absolutely ridiculous.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Here is what Craig Button answered to a question about Frederik Gauthier in his Feb. 4 chat: " Craig Button: Thank you Constantine. I would compare Frederick to Keith Primeau. He's big and strong and he imposes himself on opponents and makes it very difficult to play versus him. He can control the game from a defensive point of view and has good offensive skills. These types of players are not common and Frederick's ability to play a strong two-way game makes him a very interesting prospect. It would not surprise me one bit to see him selected in the top 10, perhaps even at the edge of the top 5."

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
A lot of talent was available....O'Reilly, Kreider, Erizon. Draft in Montreal that year, it was their 100th anniversary definitely played factors in Leblanc being chosen by Montreal. Leblanc was overrated...never played in higher league, headed to Harvard. No other reason for Habs choice. That's a lot of talent they by-passed for a guy who never played at high level before. Leblanc will play in NHL..but kind of like a Tom Pyatt type

Nobody in the five picks after him really have done more than Leblanc. All have had a few games with some slumps in the NHL due to youth inconsistency. Leblanc was the 12th ranked North American skater. There were a lot of French Canadian analysts who didn't want Montreal to take Leblanc because he skipped the Q for the USHL. Many wanted Montreal to take Jordan Caron. Caron is hardly looking any better. It's way to early to throw the book on any of these players.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
It may be rare, but that's no reason not to draft him, if the team has done their homework and likes what they see.
Most players of that size who don't translate well to the NHL because their skating is sub-par, or because size was the only thing they really had going for them.
Gauthier is a very good skater, and not just for a big guy. Agility still needs some work, but he is light years ahead of a guy like Antropov. He's also a very intelligent player, his great size is really a bonus, not the heart of his game.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hi guys!

This kid needs to have a thread on him.

Position: Centre
Shoots: Left
Height: 6'04"
Weight: 219
Birthdate: 1995-04-26

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2012-13 Rimouski, Océanic 9 8 7 15 13 6

A rookie this year in the Q. I talked to a few persons from Rimouski and they say that he is a mix between Ryan O'Reilly and Sean Couturier.

What is going on with this guy? Started year with 15 points in first 9 games, 1.67 ppg. In last 15 games he scored 7 points, .50 ppg. His scoring has fallen way off, he's under point a game average now. Which is the real Gauthier?

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Gauthier was nominated for the QMJHL's Guy Carbonneau Trophy

Guy-Carbonneau Trophy - Best defensive forward
Phillip Danault - Moncton Wildcats
Frédérik Gauthier - Rimouski Océanic
Félix Girard - Baie-Comeau Drakkar

Pretty decent for a 17 year old. Congrats to Frederik,the nomination deserves alot of credit. I think Danault will take this one home though..

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
What is going on with this guy? Started year with 15 points in first 9 games, 1.67 ppg. In last 15 games he scored 7 points, .50 ppg. His scoring has fallen way off, he's under point a game average now. Which is the real Gauthier?

The team has been in a huge slump as of late. Might be due to the fact it's amongst the league's youngest teams. They only have 2 wins in their last 10 games..

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gauthier was nominated for the QMJHL's Guy Carbonneau Trophy

Guy-Carbonneau Trophy - Best defensive forward
Phillip Danault - Moncton Wildcats
Frédérik Gauthier - Rimouski Océanic
Félix Girard - Baie-Comeau Drakkar

Pretty decent for a 17 year old. Congrats to Frederik,the nomination deserves alot of credit. I think Danault will take this one home though..

That's not saying much though...for NHL career. Look at past winners?

2010-11

Phillip Danault

Victoriaville Tigres

2009-10

Gabriel Dumont

Drummondville Voltigeurs

2008–09

Jean-Philip Chabot

Gatineau Olympiques

2007–08

Olivier Fortier

Rimouski Océanic