C Dean Letourneau - St. Andrew's College, CAHS (2024 Draft)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wouldn't be too upset if the Flames took him at #28. Might as well take a couple big swings with 8 picks in the first 4 rounds.

Obviously a bit of a project but I like the way he thinks the game, and his defensive acumen is already quality.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Wouldn't be too upset if the Flames took him at #28. Might as well take a couple big swings with 8 picks in the first 4 rounds.

Obviously a bit of a project but I like the way he thinks the game, and his defensive acumen is already quality.

Agree 100% with this. Want to see Conroy swing for the fences with the late first or a second.

I can dream about picking the next Tage Thompson at 28th, although he may be the next Mark Jankowski…

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
what are the actual chances he becomes an NHL player? I don't really know how to gage him based on where he's played. I know he's going to Boston college and I know he didn't do much in 2 games at the USHL.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I meant that Kreider turning out to become a 25-30 goals per season guy coming directly out of HS or HS-Prep is the exception, not the rule.

Most guys who are drafted directly out of MN HS, HS-Prep (anywhere) tend to become nothing of note, especially if they bypass the USHL. Higher profile guys who go this route nowadays tend to top out at Mark Jankowski (decent depth, nothing special) or Riley Tufte (AAAA type). At least with Casey Mittelstadt, he had a decent USHL sample size. Jay O'Brien (late birthday, worth noting) went from HS-Prep to the NCAA and completely busted, but it's not his fault the Flyers drafted him 25-30 picks too high.

There have been a growing sect of HS defenders recently. 2019, Rd 2 in Jackson LaCombe; 2021, R2 in Scott Morrow; 2022, Rd 1 (25th OA) in Sam Rinzel. There is also 2020 Rd 3 Ian Moore. It's still too early if they'll do anything in the NHL. LaCombe had his first full season in the NHL this season. Morrow just finished his NCAA career this season. Rinzel and Moore are still in college.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
what are the actual chances he becomes an NHL player? I don't really know how to gage him based on where he's played. I know he's going to Boston college and I know he didn't do much in 2 games at the USHL.
Despite not putting up points, I think he looked good in his USHL games. As good as a 1st rounder? Probably not. Good enough that I think he would have had a decent season in the USHL if he had played there all year (ie: PPG player).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Despite not putting up points, I think he looked good in his USHL games. As good as a 1st rounder? Probably not. Good enough that I think he would have had a decent season in the USHL if he had played there all year (ie: PPG player).
I agree. He did well. Good enough to the point where you figure he’d have put up points in the USHL. Now obviously that doesn’t guarantee he’ll be an NHL’er. There are guys who put up points in junior as first year draft eligible who don’t even get drafted.

It’s very hard to approximate what Letourneau is. That’s the challenge. He played so few games of hockey where the level is high enough where you can actually assess him compared to hockey players who provide worthwhile competition. The range of outcomes is going to be big. You could get anywhere from a mediocre college hockey player to an NHL superstar. He has tools, but the question will be is there something obvious that is missing that won’t be shown in his games against low level competition he played this year.

I’m not a huge fan of this draft, so I’d be more than happy taking that swing on this player who I think has upside and real excitement in his outcome, but you have to be prepared that you could swing and miss with this pick.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Another thing worth noting is that he would have much less pressure on him if he's drafted in the 2nd round as opposed to the 1st round. Merely having a "1" next to your name will mean that fans (especially in bigger hockey markets) will be expecting a ton out of you, to be a top 6 forward at minimum. Whereas if you have a "2" next to your name, most fans will have tempered, lower hyped expectations. Best example is Morgan Frost versus Isaac Ratcliffe: Frost was taken just 8 picks ahead of Ratcliffe, but because Frost has a "1" next to his name, Flyers fans' expectations have been quite high, whereas with Ratcliffe, the average Flyers fans generally ignored him post draft.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Another thing worth noting that he would have much less pressure on him if he's drafted in the 2nd round as opposed to the 1st round. Merely having a "1" next to your name will mean that fans (especially in bigger hockey markets) will be expecting a ton out of you, to be a top 6 forward at minimum. Whereas if you have a "2" next to your name, most fans will have tempered, lower hyped expectations. Best example is Morgan Frost versus Isaac Ratcliffe: Frost was taken just 8 picks ahead of Ratcliffe, but because Frost has a "1" next to his name, Flyers fans' expectations have been quite high, whereas with Ratcliffe, the average Flyers fans generally ignored him post draft.

The last, most similar situation to Letourneau is probably Mark Jankowski, whose entire career has basically been defined by the fact that he was a 'crazy' off-the-board pick who has never been able to meet the expectations associated with that and John Weisbrod's insane quotes about him at the time. If Calgary takes him in the 2nd round, he's just a generic 'solid pick'.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Wouldn’t be a thought for me in the 1st. I think this is a prime example of falling in love with the possibilities, however unlikely they are to occur. His USHL games were fine, but nothing to write home about.

Reactions: Blueston

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
He's become much more disciplined this year and shows a strong defensive commitment, he seems very coachable. But he still let's that aggressive side loose here and there and can really hammer opponents; he covers a lot of ground quickly with his stride length and skating ability. And when you start thinking about him adding 30-40 lbs to his frame, it's really intriguing.

I think he has a safe floor as a 3rd line checking C, but there's a lot of upside for more. He shows some soft hands too, strong with puck control, pass precision, pass reception, smart playmaking/vision. You want to see him play more around the crease, because he's seems very effective at using his size around the goal. I think when we hit hit the teens stage of the 1st, teams will be looking at him closely.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
Another thing worth noting is that he would have much less pressure on him if he's drafted in the 2nd round as opposed to the 1st round. Merely having a "1" next to your name will mean that fans (especially in bigger hockey markets) will be expecting a ton out of you, to be a top 6 forward at minimum. Whereas if you have a "2" next to your name, most fans will have tempered, lower hyped expectations. Best example is Morgan Frost versus Isaac Ratcliffe: Frost was taken just 8 picks ahead of Ratcliffe, but because Frost has a "1" next to his name, Flyers fans' expectations have been quite high, whereas with Ratcliffe, the average Flyers fans generally ignored him post draft.
Actually Ratcliffe was quite overhyped. I would say the most reason for what you said has more to do with the fact that Frost nearly doubled his production in d+1 while Ratcliffe was almost at half.

You won’t find a Devils fan more excited about Stillman vs Casey or a Habs fan, Mesar vs Hutson. Honestly I’m not even sure if the average Habs fan prefers Mesar over Beck

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Is there anything to make of Jack Good, his teammate with similarly great numbers?

He's a solid player that has some interest. Could be a later round pick.

Agree 100% with this. Want to see Conroy swing for the fences with the late first or a second.

I can dream about picking the next Tage Thompson at 28th, although he may be the next Mark Jankowski…
Habs are likely to trade the Jets pick, but the Habs seem to like him. They've had a meeting with him earlier in the year and also at the combine.

Columbus if they trade up might be interested as Letourneau is from the Ottawa Valley and Timmins f***ing loves those kids because they're rare and he's from the valley himself.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Actually Ratcliffe was quite overhyped. I would say the most reason for what you said has more to do with the fact that Frost nearly doubled his production in d+1 while Ratcliffe was almost at half.

You won’t find a Devils fan more excited about Stillman vs Casey or a Habs fan, Mesar vs Hutson. Honestly I’m not even sure if the average Habs fan prefers Mesar over Beck
I'm talking about the average fan, not the prospect diehards. Blackhawks fans had expectations for Kevin Hayes, not big expectations for Ludvig Rensfeldt.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think if you have more than 1st round pick, you can make the case here to take the risk. If he falls to the early second and you have a decent amount of picks, again, maybe it becomes a no brainer. If you have a few selections in the draft it becomes pretty risky.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They’ve also successfully drafted out of SAC too with Morgan Barron. If he didn’t turn into an NHL’er they might’ve been turned off from taking a Canadian prep player.
Barron was like a 6th round pick, so the risk vs reward is pretty much non-existent. There's a bit of a risk with drafting a player in the first round out of Canadian prep school.

On a different note, I wonder if the team that drafts Dean will draft his brother Jace. I believe he's still eligible and he's going to the NCAA as well. He is older, but he's still a big boy at 6'5 and might be worth it with a late round pick.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Barron was like a 6th round pick, so the risk vs reward is pretty much non-existent. There's a bit of a risk with drafting a player in the first round out of Canadian prep school.
Teams like to go back to paths they’ve had success with. Of course it’s not the same taking a 6th rounder as 1st rounder, but usually when teams go back to a well that worked for them in the past the storylines aren’t exactly the same.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is a swing and miss type of players to draft and someone will take him late first or early second especially if they have several top 64 picks.

He is a project and time will tell but the odds are against him being a value pick.

Reactions: TopC0rner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad