C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

torlev*

I honestly couldn't care less. And he looked happier in later interviews anyways.

From an Oilers fan perspective, I'm just happy beyond words we got him. :handclap:

Pretty fair. So many questions to ask right now.

1. Do you think he was okay with going to edminton? Didn't appear so.
2. Would he have been okay with some of the other possibilities?
3. Do you think he signs and lasts? How long?
4. I think I saw a quote earlier about oilers not caring about defense. Is this a good thing for mcdavid? Does this affect his career?
5. Are there trades from a team with lots of skill forwards but nothing else now?

I'm sure there are more. Ideas?

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011
Unlike Hall/RNH/Eberle, McDavid is walking into a situation where the Oilers also have drafted Nurse and Klefbom, two promising d-men to go with just all flash upfront. And they have Draisaitl for even greater center depth.

If McDavid is the real deal, he will make it work, that is a lot of talent to work with.

Very true.. Some people don't know much about hockey or they are just extremely jealous. Others just refuse to grow up.

themann

Nov 26, 2009
I wonder if him going to Edmonton will be used as a taunt in his next playoff match. :laugh:

I can't get down on their fanbase, they've suffered a lot, but I can't believe the organization is going to come out of this like thieves once more.

Uhhh... SSM Captain Nurse is an oilers prospect. I highly doubt he will be chirping him for going to the same team as him....

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011
If anyone could ruin him, it's the Oilers, but I think he's just too good to be ruined. He'll be a generational player, and will be good enough to lift that garbage team out of the gutter, though they'll need better management and coaching to eventually compete for cups.

I agree with you whole heartedly on this. Time to get rid of the 'ol boys club and get people with hockey sense.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
I wrote this(Fake news quote) After adding and adding too the quoted post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Mark my words. They will get it sorted out and now they can trade any of their other first round picks for anything they need because the market for those type of players is so rare.

Sorry, but this is ****ing ridiculous.

2010 Taylor Hall 1rst -

2011 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1rst -

2012 Nail Yakupov 1rst -

2013 Darnell Nurse 7th -

2014 Leon Draisaitl 3rd -

2015 Conner McDavid 1rst

2016 ****** ******* 5th

2017 **** ********* 7th

2018 ******* ***** 8th

2019 ****** ******3rd

2020 ***** **********1st

2021 ****** *********3rd

2022 ******* *****1st

2023 **** ***********3rd

2024 ********** *******5th

-
Taylor Hall has just told this reporter that he has decided to not wait for Lowe and Company to win a couple of more 1st picks in the draft and at age 32 will be going to free agency and see if he can join a team that has a chance at the playoffs.:sarcasm::biglaugh:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think the odds are certainly higher than they ever were for him not to live up to his potential. The Oilers have done a solid job in damaging their last few 1st overall picks (wow that still sounds sad).

Though I think the worst the Oilers can do to him is make him a good #1 center. Still a terrible shame considering what he could have been, but still a good player.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I would think the odds have gone down.

A generational player is not effected by his environment.

Robert Gordon Orr joined a bottom feeder Bruins team in 1966.

Wayne Gretzky's Oilers were basically an expansion team when they joined the NHL in 1979-80.

Mario's Pens were a poorly managed, bottom feeder.

This thread sums up HF.

Bestowing greatness on a player before his time. And now, just as easily, in a nanosecond, backtracking.

Ridiculous.

McDavid is an elite, special talent. A generational prospect.

He was yesterday and remains same today.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think the odds are certainly higher than they ever were for him not to live up to his potential. The Oilers have done a solid job in damaging their last few 1st overall picks (wow that still sounds sad).

Though I think the worst the Oilers can do to him is make him a good #1 center. Still a terrible shame considering what he could have been, but still a good player.

Holy let the guy play in the nhl before you talk about what he could have been and such, the oilers have arguably the most talented forward top 6 out of the bottom teams so not sure how that's going to hurt him. Mcdavid seems to me like a player that created his own success but jeez let the kid play before already shutting him down just cause edmonton has been a bad team of late

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
There were two teams who lost more than Edmonton, if he had gone to them, would he have lost the generational talent label too ? Kind of a stupid thread.

Tavares is a main reason the Islanders turned around, they finished last, won the lottery, and got him. Most experts say McDavid is an even better talent than Tavares. Edmonton is gonna be an exciting team to watch.

Yeah we heard that after the last three 1st overalls. What makes you think it will be any different this time. They have no goalie, defense, a terrible GM and team president, etc. The future looks bleak.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
If Edmonton had the ability to sign FAs and not be on every NMC, they wouldn't have won the McDavid sweepstakes. Deal with it.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
A generational player is not effected by his environment.

Robert Gordon Orr joined a bottom feeder Bruins team in 1966.

Wayne Gretzky's Oilers were basically an expansion team when they joined the NHL in 1979-80.

Mario's Pens were a poorly managed, bottom feeder.

This thread sums up HF.

Bestowing greatness on a player before his time. And now, just as easily, in a nanosecond, backtracking.

Ridiculous.

McDavid is an elite, special talent. A generational prospect.

He was yesterday and remains same today.

Well put.

And no, I don't think he looked dejected. Just an awkward situation to be put on the spot so soon after learning the news. Judging from the interviews I've seen of him I'd say there's no chance he pulls a Lindros and is just as happy to be coming here than anywhere else.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I certainly think he and his agent will have a conversation about it. Whether or not that pull the trigger is anyone's guess.

Heres how i view it. A 17-18 young man has just been told he'll be playing in Edmonton, Alberta. Where he'll meet his wife, spend a good chunk of his life etc etc thats a TON to take in. Im not worried he looked more overwhelmed than disappointed.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Well put.

And no, I don't think he looked dejected. Just an awkward situation to be put on the spot so soon after learning the news. Judging from the interviews I've seen of him I'd say there's no chance he pulls a Lindros and is just as happy to be coming here than anywhere else.

I agree.

Kid impresses me, little I've seen him speak. Mature, level headed.

Successful people run toward challenges, they don't run away from them. McDavid will be in Edmonton next fall and for many years to come.

And if he is as great as some suggest (and I hope he is), he'll change Edmonton; Edmonton isn't going to change him. That's how it works with truly generational talents.

Lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread, as well as projecting one's own mindset (i.e., demanding a trade) onto another individual (McD).

I'm happy for the Oilers and their fans. That said, as you know, they still have much work to do to move up the ladder. Matters not how much offensive talent you possess; you still need to defend your net. Currently, they don't.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Pretty fair. So many questions to ask right now.

1. Do you think he was okay with going to edminton? Didn't appear so.
2. Would he have been okay with some of the other possibilities?
3. Do you think he signs and lasts? How long?
4. I think I saw a quote earlier about oilers not caring about defense. Is this a good thing for mcdavid? Does this affect his career?
5. Are there trades from a team with lots of skill forwards but nothing else now?

I'm sure there are more. Ideas?

1. Yeah I think he's okay with going to Edmonton.
2. Yes. I'm pretty sure we wanted to be a Toronto Maple Leaf.
3. He will definitely sign his ELC. Not sure how long he will stay but he's an Oiler for at least 7 years.
4. I think the quote was "Offense wins games", I'm sure MacT obviously knows he needs defense despite this quote so I'm not worried. It'll be a good thing for McDavid since he has a ton of offensive guns to play with up front. The Oilers have the entire offseason to make moves for some defence.
5. Don't understand that last question

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I think he looked the way he did because a sportsnet rep told him that he was going to be interviewed AGAIN by George Stroumboulopoulos

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
If Edmonton had the ability to sign FAs and not be on every NMC, they wouldn't have won the McDavid sweepstakes. Deal with it.

I would actually say if their drafting was a good as some of the other teams in the league after the early picks then you would have enough depth to trade for what you need.

I remember one of the oil fans on a thread talking about drafting after the 1st round and other oil fans also agreed the they have done terrible after the 1st round, since and just before the Hall draft year.

Can you list the depth guys also those on D who have been drafted a couple of years before the Hall draft until now that have helped the team advance?

I remember Hemsky and the player(can't recall name) who scored like 6 or 7 goals in one game all these one dimensional talents haven't seemed to advanced the team. Now a question for a fan of the team, it seems that you're team has talent but is it not balanced with different types to make a complete team or whats going on? Is it that you're team hasn't drafted well in the later rounds or is it development or a combo and if this team finishes with a high (top 5) pick for the next couple of years what do you think the plan should be after that? If it continues for 3 more years do you think that the (In my opinion Incompetent) front office needs to go? As a fan of a Pacific team I would hope for more mediocrity from the Oil but I would want that from any of the Pac. teams.

P.S. Is it not having enough good on both sides of the puck forwards and centers or more on the Dmen.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
With Hall on his wing, Hall might become a 90+ player.

With Yakupov on his wing, Yakupov might become a 30 goal guy

With Eberle on his wing, Eberle might become a 50 goal guy.

Assuming McDavid does as well as Crosby did in his rookie year and lights it up right away, the possibilities are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad