C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Again, the owners voted for a lottery. Why would the owners want Bettman to stick McDavid on a team that isn't them? The purpose of the lottery is not to allow Bettman to control where McDavid goes, it's to discourage teams from trying to achieve last place specifically.
When teams tank or try to finish last they do it because they want a high draft pick or a #1 overall pick, you think teams are thinking oh man can't forget about that lottery that might just backfire for us. The lottery doesn't matter to the teams that want to finish last, it's not intimidating.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's trying to get the most money he can get out of the league in anyway. It only makes sense to try to get McDavid into a weak hockey city like Arizona, Florida, Carolina, Columbus.

I have no proof that I'm right or that you're right but it does make sense. The last place team needs the help of a future superstar.

Arizona, Florida, and Carolina are not cities. And Raleigh is not a weak hockey market.

Please stop flooding this with ridiculous conspiracy theory trolling?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Arizona, Florida, and Carolina are not cities. And Raleigh is not a weak hockey market.

Please stop flooding this with ridiculous conspiracy theory trolling?
I guess I will stop with what I think, am I offending you, Carolina fan?

Let's talk about how good McDavid is because nobody knows he's a really good hockey player.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I guess I will stop with what I think, am I offending you, Carolina fan?

Let's talk about how good McDavid is because nobody knows he's a really good hockey player.

I'm not a Carolina fan. I'm just pointing out the ignorance in your comment. Seems to be a consistent characteristic of your posts.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
A scandal related to the legitimacy of the draft lottery could ruin the credibility of the league.

People without any evidence suggesting it might happen need to think through how ridiculous Bettman or the league would have to be to risk the credibility of the league and all the massive lawsuits that might follow with it on dictating who wins the draft.

well it deserves to be questioned, the lottery is behind closed doors, thats why there is some suspicion towards it, the NBA lottery on the other hand is televised. Of course I hope they won't rig it. that's the main reason.

just picture this.

on XXXX date, the NHL will announce the draft orders which was already completed . whhhhhaaaaaaa? how was it completed anyways, leauges a joke.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
When teams tank or try to finish last they do it because they want a high draft pick or a #1 overall pick, you think teams are thinking oh man can't forget about that lottery that might just backfire for us. The lottery doesn't matter to the teams that want to finish last, it's not intimidating.

Right, but what it does is not always reward the last team with 1st overall. It doesn't matter if you or I support the reasoning behind it, I'm simply saying that is the reasoning, not some nonsense that the 30 teams voted to institute a lottery so Bettman could secretly decide which team gets 1st overall.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
An accounting firm is there to oversee and from what I've read there are officials from all the teams to view the lottery combination. The reps have to stay in a locked room until the results are revealed so that they don't leak it to the media or to there own teams and GMs

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I'd rather see it on TV than behind closed doors so we can't see it and it doesn't seem suspicious.

So for your and every other tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, the NHL should televise the draw? I don't think the NHL cares to appease the "suspicious". Like Playerwinner said just because you show the draw on TV does not mean it is legitimate. So its actually impossible to satisfy those who would question the integrity of the league regardless of the outcome or the means.

If you are so suspicious of the integrity of the NHL then why do you even bother to watch the product. Surely if the NHL is manipulating the draft then they are manipulating other aspects of the game as well.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
So for your and every other tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, the NHL should televise the draw? I don't think the NHL cares to appease the "suspicious". Like Playerwinner said just because you show the draw on TV does not mean it is legitimate. So its actually impossible to satisfy those who would question the integrity of the league regardless of the outcome or the means.

If you are so suspicious of the integrity of the NHL then why do you even bother to watch the product. Surely if the NHL is manipulating the draft then they are manipulating other aspects of the game as well.
It's not to satisfy anybody. Just show you doing the draw, they show who gets the 1st overall pick with those cards Bill Daly uses, what's so different?

I watch it because I love hockey, **** everything else around it. I watch the players compete and go 100% every night, some don't which is stupid, they're doing what they love and can't even compete. Junior hockey is a better quality most times I watch it though, refs aren't jackasses who try to get some attention and players are fighting it raise their draft stock or fight for contracts. Kelowna vs Seattle had like 3 fights, good hockey, all of those players have heart.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
McDavid had what, 2g 1a tonight? One goal being the overtime winner which was just a ridiculous goal.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
After 23 games, he would need to play 37 games without a point to be at PPG. He would need to play 7 games without a point just to be at 2PPG. Ridiculous.

tze

Jul 12, 2014
It seems interesting to me that he hasn't been positive in any of the five games this year in the OHL, while being positive in every game expect two in the first half of the season (and no negative games).

1st half: +34
2nd half so far: -2

BUST

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's got 9 points of in his last 5 games since coming back, pulling his PPG to 2.6. Considering the injury and WJC hangover, that's pretty solid. I expect him to score at about a 2.3-2.5 ppg pace to finish the season, maybe ending up with 120-130 points in 50 gp. If he was able to play 60+ games, he really would have had a shot at Crosby's numbers. Without injury he probably maintains a slightly higher pace, and maybe goes 62 gp 155 - 170 points.

At this point, I don't think he's got much of a chance to catch Marner, and may struggle to even beat Strome.

Whats crazy to think about is that he could end up being the best NHL prospect and player to never lead his junior league, or even junior team, in scoring. That's insane, considering he has a higher point potential than Crosby did (at least IMO).

I still don't see him as quite on 87's level as a prospect (97 has a lower floor and expected level), but the ceiling is there based on his advantages in skating and reach, and the fact that he's not as physically mature as 87 was at the same age (so he could potentially fill out more).

All that said, nothing is stopping him from catching fire his last 27 games and scoring like 80 points. Marner is on pace for a huge year (150 points), but he could slow up and end up around 135. Hopefully McDavid can put some pressure on him and make it an interesting race.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He's got 9 points of in his last 5 games since coming back, pulling his PPG to 2.6. Considering the injury and WJC hangover, that's pretty solid. I expect him to score at about a 2.3-2.5 ppg pace to finish the season, maybe ending up with 120-130 points in 50 gp. If he was able to play 60+ games, he really would have had a shot at Crosby's numbers. Without injury he probably maintains a slightly higher pace, and maybe goes 62 gp 155 - 170 points.

At this point, I don't think he's got much of a chance to catch Marner, and may struggle to even beat Strome.

Whats crazy to think about is that he could end up being the best NHL prospect and player to never lead his junior league, or even junior team, in scoring. That's insane, considering he has a higher point potential than Crosby did (at least IMO).

I still don't see him as quite on 87's level as a prospect (97 has a lower floor and expected level), but the ceiling is there based on his advantages in skating and reach, and the fact that he's not as physically mature as 87 was at the same age (so he could potentially fill out more).

All that said, nothing is stopping him from catching fire his last 27 games and scoring like 80 points. Marner is on pace for a huge year (150 points), but he could slow up and end up around 135. Hopefully McDavid can put some pressure on him and make it an interesting race.

I don't think he catches Marner. He's been producing at a close to 3PPG pace for more than 30 games now and isn't slowing down. I don't think McDavid has a chance but that could be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad