C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
If EDM finishes last, they probably won't get McDavid, Bettman will rather have an American market have the superstar to sell tickets because tickets are going to sell regardless in Edmonton. Something like Phoenix would be amazing for him, trying to get as much money as the league can possibly get.

Toronto. Just imagine that ****.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The lottery is rigged. Doesn't make sense for it not to be. Why not control these precious assets, send them to struggling markets or big markets or whatever, to maximize revenue/save franchise etc. The NHL is big business, why leave this type of stuff up to chance. With them changing the lottery to the top 3 picks following this year, it provides even more control.

Changed the draft odds for this year, a non bottom-3 team wins the lottery: "it's the revised draft odds!".
No way it isn't rigged.
Except, that it's not rigged. Do you have any facts to back up that statement? Or are you just letting your paranoia get loose on the internet?
Hey, here's a thought, maybe just maybe, the reason more American teams get the #1 overall pick is because there are 23 American teams out of 30 NHL teams. Maybe it's something there, you think, maybe maybe...

If EDM finishes last, they probably won't get McDavid, Bettman will rather have an American market have the superstar to sell tickets because tickets are going to sell regardless in Edmonton. Something like Phoenix would be amazing for him, trying to get as much money as the league can possibly get.
See my post above.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Not going to argue to a Florida fan about the lottery because you're just going to keep defending the league when it's in your favour.

Florida got the #1 pick over Buffalo last year.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I highly, highly doubt the lottery is rigged . That level of corruption isn't easy to pull off in modern day professional sports.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not going to argue to a Florida fan about the lottery because you're just going to keep defending the league when it's in your favour.

Yea totally. What's for explanation for Edmonton winning it 3 times in a row then? Don't they sell tickets anyways?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

As much as I want McDavid, the Oilers don't deserve another 1st OA pick. It would be good if Pheonix got him

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007

You do realize florida has also had the worst record and not drafted first overall in years past right? Hell they've been bumped down a spot twice in recent years alone. So you're argument to the guy that it benefits florida is ludicrous. If anything, a team perennially near the bottom of the league like florida is better off just going by reverse order and letting the chips fall where they may.

But please, continue to cry conspiracy with no evidence to back your claim

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Ernst and Young, one of the big four auditing and accounting firms worldwide, administers the NHL lottery. It is not rigged, EYs entire reputation on being able to audit PubCos comes from the fact that there is no issues with their reputation.

Last edited:

engy

Mar 12, 2012
Ernst and Young, one of the big four auditing and accounting firms worldwide, administers the NHL lottery. It is not rigged, EYs entire reputation on being able to audit PubCos comes from the fact that there is no issues with their reputation.

Hmm, from what I know, the companies pay auditing firms to audit them. If they don't do a good job, they don't get hired next time.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
A scandal related to the legitimacy of the draft lottery could ruin the credibility of the league.

People without any evidence suggesting it might happen need to think through how ridiculous Bettman or the league would have to be to risk the credibility of the league and all the massive lawsuits that might follow with it on dictating who wins the draft.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
I don't believe that the draft is rigged, but if it ever was going to happen it would be this year. It would be very bad for the league if McDavid ended up in Edmonton.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's pretty dubious for someone to suggest the league rigged the draft to help Florida out at the expense of Buffalo last year when the year before the Avs won the lottery at the expense of Florida. Were they helping the Avs the previous year or was that just dumb luck? As much as Bettman's tenure has been committed to expanding and protecting the NHL in markets like Miami, I can't imagine he'd think Aaron Ekblad is going to determine the fate of hockey in Miami nor that he'd risk everything to test that theory. It's ridiculous. The funny thing is you see people claiming leagues are 'rigged' in completely contrary ways: helping big markets because that's where the money is vs. helping struggling markets because they're in danger.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
That's why they have the lottery. Seriously what's the difference between #1 and #2? Just let the last place team get the 1st overall but nope, Bettman wants control of what happens in every part of the game.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The lottery is rigged. Doesn't make sense for it not to be. Why not control these precious assets, send them to struggling markets or big markets or whatever, to maximize revenue/save franchise etc. The NHL is big business, why leave this type of stuff up to chance. With them changing the lottery to the top 3 picks following this year, it provides even more control.

Changed the draft odds for this year, a non bottom-3 team wins the lottery: "it's the revised draft odds!".

No way it isn't rigged.

If Edmonton wins it's rigged, if Edmonton loses it's rigged, if an American team wins it's rigged, if a Canadien team wins it's rigged. Have you ever thought that it might just not be rigged? Someone had to win, that doesn't mean it's rigged.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That's why they have the lottery. Seriously what's the difference between #1 and #2? Just let the last place team get the 1st overall but nope, Bettman wants control of what happens in every part of the game.

You think the entire purpose for the lottery is so Bettman can rig it? You realize the owners, through their GM's, voted for the lottery and any subsequent changes to it, right? They had reasons for it, reasons which aren't to allow Bettman to control who gets 1st overall. Those are the reasons why the lottery exists.

Bettman may have a large influence over the owners but he doesn't make these decisions. Most anything of consequence is voted on by the league owners.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Pretty obvious you're trolling by now.. Pretty bad one at that.

As for McDavid I highly doubt he will have the same PPG as Sid did, I think he'll finish around 2.5 and there's nothing wrong with that.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
You think the entire purpose for the lottery is so Bettman can rig it? You realize the owners, through their GM's, voted for the lottery and any subsequent changes to it, right? They had reasons for it, reasons which aren't to allow Bettman to control who gets 1st overall. Those are the reasons why the lottery exists.

Bettman may have a large influence over the owners but he doesn't make these decisions. Most anything of consequence is voted on by the league owners.
He's trying to get the most money he can get out of the league in anyway. It only makes sense to try to get McDavid into a weak hockey city like Arizona, Florida, Carolina, Columbus.

I have no proof that I'm right or that you're right but it does make sense. The last place team needs the help of a future superstar.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No way it isn't rigged.

They do a live lottery with team management present every year. Every ball is weighed beforehand. It's not rigged. This isn't a situation like Patrick Ewing, which you can make a good case was rigged.

I'd believe the league maybe wanted Crosby in Pittsburgh back in 2005, and such made the rule that the team got four additional balls for finishing last the year prior, but they can't guarantee which balls pop up. It's still a lottery at the end of the day.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
They do a live lottery with team management present every year. Every ball is weighed beforehand. It's not rigged. This isn't a situation like Patrick Ewing, which you can make a good case was rigged.

I'd believe the league maybe wanted Crosby in Pittsburgh back in 2005, and such made the rule that the team got four additional balls for finishing last the year prior, but they can't guarantee which balls pop up. It's still a lottery at the end of the day.
They don't show them doing the lottery on TV, why do they have to keep it such a secret?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's trying to get the most money he can get out of the league in anyway. It only makes sense to try to get McDavid into a weak hockey city like Arizona, Florida, Carolina, Columbus.

I have no proof that I'm right or that you're right but it does make sense. The last place team needs the help of a future superstar.

Again, the owners voted for a lottery. Why would the owners want Bettman to stick McDavid on a team that isn't them? The purpose of the lottery is not to allow Bettman to control where McDavid goes, it's to discourage teams from trying to achieve last place specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad