C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Somebody in another thread pondered that it was because every time a defender or goalie doesn't hit or poke check him they rob him of the even more elaborate highlight reel goal he had planned in his mind.

To be fair to the Edmonton defenders, how many of them want to be the guy to hit McDavid and injure him?! Yeah, that would be the end of their career before it even started.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Do fans, who were able to watch him before he was drafted, know if he is known to be a good 2 way player or is he solely known for his offensive skill set ?

Players with big offensive potential do tend to be a little weak on the defensive side of the game : Ovechkin, Mackinnon.

Just to address the point above...

McDavid was never known as a defensive stalwart or anything but he's very intelligent in his own zone and he has a very quick, active stick. Where this really shines is in the neutral zone and crossing his own blueline where he is providing back pressure on the puck carrier. Very often he will strip the puck from an opposing player in those areas and quickly turn it up ice for a scoring chance.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe its me but id love to have Mcdavid on a line with Draisaitl. I feel that both of them would compliment each other well, give more defensive starts to Draisaitl and let Mcdavid take more offensive starts.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
His defensive zone coverage needs some work to be sure, but that is true for almost every rookie, especially centres. He'll figure it out.

Everyone talks about how the modern game is played down low, which is true, but McDavid is so skilled that I'm sure he will create a lot of offence off the rush as well. He won't beating dman wide on a regular basis like junior, but he will absolutely back them up with his speed and create space for himself and teammates.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So McDavid scores 5( supposedly 4 are 'highlight reel' variety)in a development camp scrimmage and already on Sportsnet 360 they are saying hockey has never seen a player like this before.
.that he will be the greatest player ever
.that you can guarantee EDMONTON wins the Cup ...maybe not next year..but it will not be long. ..That some sloppy 8-6 scrimmage against mostly all not nhl players in a mere development camp where even on the video I saw it looked slow motion compared to the level we saw in the Cup Final with CHI and TB..from such a game in a development camp against mostly guys who never will be NHL ER. ..McDavid is allowed to score 5 by mostly no do dies and we are supposed to swallow that the Messiah has indeed arrived?How quickly they forget how a mere Jr. Team...Oshawa..bottled him up and made him look ineffectual...just awhile back at the Men Cup? Did EDM also include a scrimmage rule that no huge 6'4 225 lb Dmen were going to be allowed to.body slam him or even touch him while checking?

e84*

So McDavid scores 5( supposedly 4 are 'highlight reel' variety)in a development camp scrimmage and already on Sportsnet 360 they are saying hockey has never seen a player like this before.
.that you can guarantee EDMONTON wins the Cup ...maybe not next year..but it will not be long. ..That some sloppy 8-6 scrimmage against mostly all not nhl players in a mere development camp where even on the video I saw it looked slow motion compared to the level we saw in the Cup Final with CHI and TB..from such a game in a development camp against mostly guys who never will be NHL ER. ..McDavid is allowed to score 5 by mostly no do dies and we are supposed to swallow that the Messiah has indeed arrived?How quickly they forget how a mere Jr. Team...Oshawa..bottled him up and made him look ineffectual...just awhile back at the Men Cup? Did EDM also include a scrimmage rule that no huge 6'4 225 lb Dmen were going to be allowed to.body slam him or even touch him while checking?

it will make it all the more funnier if he flops... although I don't see that happening I also don't think he's going to be as great as everyone thinks.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
it will make it all the more funnier if he flops... although I don't see that happening I also don't think he's going to be as great as everyone thinks.

I agree with this.

The Oilers don't have a top pairing D in their system minus their recent UFA signing.

He's doing this stuff against minor league players and AHL players and no one is touching him.

Wait until he gets to the NHL and teams start being physical. He is very shifty and intelligent and I have no doubt he will produce, but he won't be scoring 5 points a game never mind 5 goals.

Oilers got one hell of a player but man oh man is he ever over hyped.

Prove me wrong Connor.

Aceonfire*

Did you even watch it? He had scrubs on his line and he still managed 5 goals. And bringing up the Memorial cup :laugh:. It was the OHL playoffs, the Otters didn't make it past the Gens. But if you actually watched the games you would see it wasn't McDavid's fault they lost. Oshawa could afford to have 3 guys covering him because Dylan the disappearing act couldn't be a threat on his own.

McDavid is an amazing player but Hockey is a team game. In an interview later on he admitted that a bunch of guys on the Otters checked out after they won the Soo series because they didn't even think they would get that far.

I am so glad that you would take joy in a prospects failed development. :shakehead

And we all know if the Leafs had drafted him you would be saying otherwise.

I agree with this.

The Oilers don't have a top pairing D in their system minus their recent UFA signing.

He's doing this stuff against minor league players and AHL players and no one is touching him.

Wait until he gets to the NHL and teams start being physical. He is very shifty and intelligent and I have no doubt he will produce, but he won't be scoring 5 points a game never mind 5 goals.

Prove me wrong Connor.

He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. People are setting up ridiculous expectations for an 18 year old. He is going to do his best. People will find reasons to attack him anyways.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. People are setting up ridiculous expectations for an 18 year old. He is going to do his best. People will find reasons to attack him anyways.

This.

The NHL is full of terrific players. To expect an 18 year old to be better than everyone in the League, or close to the top, is crazy. Just let him develop and hope/pray for the best.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
its threads like this that make this board seems ******** at best
at this rate , a 75 point season is a bust for McD :shakehead:shakehead
give the kid some air and space
this is completely ridiculous, the "new" NHL, in current rink format, no longer allows for a dominating player
good players yes...dominating never again
McD will be a good player, nothing more nothing less

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Did you even watch it? He had scrubs on his line and he still managed 5 goals. And bringing up the Memorial cup :laugh:. It was the OHL playoffs, the Otters didn't make it past the Gens. But if you actually watched the games you would see it wasn't McDavid's fault they lost. Oshawa could afford to have 3 guys covering him because Dylan the disappearing act couldn't be a threat on his own.

McDavid is an amazing player but Hockey is a team game. In an interview later on he admitted that a bunch of guys on the Otters checked out after they won the Soo series because they didn't even think they would get that far.

I am so glad that you would take joy in a prospects failed development. :shakehead

And we all know if the Leafs had drafted him you would be saying otherwise.

This.

The NHL is full of terrific players. To expect an 18 year old to be better than everyone in the League, or close to the top, is crazy. Just let him develop and hope/pray for the best.

its threads like this that make this board seems ******** at best
at this rate , a 75 point season is a bust for McD :shakehead:shakehead
give the kid some air and space
this is completely ridiculous, the "new" NHL, in current rink format, no longer allows for a dominating player
good players yes...dominating never again
McD will be a good player, nothing more nothing less

I'm sorry, but weren't fans claiming teams needed to trade their entire cores + their next 10 firsts for the McDavid Pick?

Did he or did he not win a poll of him vs Crosby?

Crosby was a 100 point player as a rookie. The expectations were set by other people than the doubters. If he scores anything but PPG or isn't in the top 10 of scoring it is a disappointing season, especially given the Oilers offensive talent vs when Crosby was a pen.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm sorry, but weren't fans claiming teams needed to trade their entire cores + their next 10 firsts for the McDavid Pick?

Crosby was a 100 point player as a rookie. The expectations were set by other people than the doubters. If he scores anything but PPG or isn't in the top 10 of scoring it is a disappointing season, especially given the Oilers offensive talent vs when Crosby was a pen.

I hope he's great! I just think it's best to lower your expectations and let him surprise to the upside instead of expecting the 2nd coming and being disappointed. But, it's your life / your choice.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

yes exactly...he is the best

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Points were heavily inflated during Crosby's rookie season. That's more significant than who his teammates were or who McDavid's teammates will be.

McDavid would have drawn a penalty every time he touched the puck in 2006. Unfortunately it's not the same league anymore.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I agree with this.

Prove me wrong Connor.

Who the hell ever pumped him to be producing 5 pts per game? Ah nobody.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Yikes. Claims for McDavid to prove him wrong and then expects a PPG season.

I'm sure you wouldn't feel this way if the Leafs drafted him :laugh:

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Something to keep in mind is he's entering a much different league than Crosby and Ovechkin did. Wouldn't be fair to hold him to the same standards in terms of expected production.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Nobody said that they're trade their entire core + next 10 firsts for McDavid

The poll against Crosby wasn't on immediate impact. Crosby was a more polished product and his game could easily withstand the physicality of the NHL.

The NHL is a different league now. Look at the top10 scorers then and compare it to now.

If he finishes top10 I would be very happy. If he finishes top30, that's reasonable. If he finishes below that, it's a bit of a disappointment.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Oilers fans are, once again, setting themselves up for disappointment.

There is no way he lives up to people's insane expectations, especially on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Oilers fans are, once again, setting themselves up for disappointment.

There is no way he lives up to people's insane expectations, especially on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

How is that relevant to McDavid's personal production? Taylor Hall is just a year removed from putting up 80 points (pro-rata 87 over a full season) on that same team.

Not only is McDavid a much superior player to Hall, but he actually has the advantage of having wingers like Hall or Eberle- something Crosby has never had (until now) minus that 20-game stretch with Hossa back in 2008.

Not to mention, his coach is Todd Mclellan.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
How is that relevant to McDavid's personal production? Taylor Hall is just a year removed from putting up 80 points (pro-rata 87 over a full season) on that same team.

Not only is McDavid a much superior player to Hall, but he actually has the advantage of having wingers like Hall or Eberle- something Crosby has never had (until now) minus that 20-game stretch with Hossa back in 2008.

Not to mention, his coach is Todd Mclellan.

Wow. Calm down, Hall has been up there with the best in the NHL for his offensive out-put with close to no support from his team.

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Wow. Calm down, Hall has been up there with the best in the NHL for his offensive out-put with close to no support from his team.

Hall's biggest problem is his hockey IQ. He's a puck-hog winger with tunnel vision who doesn't know how to utilize teammates and elevate his game. As a Jets fan, I can say quite confidently that Hall is nothing more than a skilled version of E. Kane minus the physicality or grit.

McDavid is the full offensive package. There's a reason why he's cast as a generational talent on the same tier as Crosby. Would it also be wrong to call Crosby a vastly superior player to Phil Kessel?

As for the bolded, what? Eberle is a perennial 60-70 point guy, RNH is a former 1st overall pick who is developing into a dandy two-way center who can put up 60 points over a full year. You make it sound as if Hall plays for the Arizona Coyotes.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Hall's biggest problem is his hockey IQ. He's a puck-hog winger with tunnel vision who doesn't know how to utilize teammates and elevate his game. As a Jets fan, I can say quite confidently that Hall is nothing more than a skilled version of E. Kane minus the physicality or grit.

McDavid is the full offensive package. There's a reason why he's cast as a generational talent on the same tier as Crosby. Would it also be wrong to call Crosby a vastly superior player to Phil Kessel?

As for the bolded, what? Eberle is a perennial 60-70 point guy, RNH is a former 1st overall pick who is developing into a dandy two-way center who can put up 60 points over a full year. You make it sound as if Hall plays for the Arizona Coyotes.

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad