C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
This was a not contact scrimmage, no one was going 100%, no point in back checking and sliding into the end boards. Basically and poor mans all star game

yeah, let's pump the brakes a little bit. Wait until he, or any of the other young prospects do this during preseason, or the first few games. Just looking at the "highlights," the game was a glorified all-star game. Fun fan event for sure, but I wouldn't read anything from the stats alone.

[nhl]831854[/nhl]

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
My god McDavid is scary in the neutral and offensive zone, but if I only had this game to judge his talents I would say he was pretty awful defensively and I wouldn't exactly call Edmonton the place to improve that aspect of his game. Oilers are going to look very similar to Dallas next year. REALLY high scoring, but a lot of sad looks on the other side of ice.

Not trying to talk smack here, im sure over the course of a year or two his defensive game will start to round out and the Oilers will probably add more personnel with defense experience. Todd McClellan wasn't exactly known for his defensive coaching in San Jose.

you got all of this from a pond hockey game?

it was a 4-on-4 No Hitter out there with 7 mins of 3-on-3 to end the game...with maybe 2 other prospects besides McDavid with a chance to make the team

slow your roll

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
a big factor that will play

Sids "core balance and strength" >>> McD's
single biggest factor of effectiveness down low

Which would make sense if McDavid's playing style was even remotely similar to Crosby's, which it's not.

McDavid is an elusive and explosive talent who generates off the rush, on the PP, and by forcing turnovers in the offensive zone- not a guy who grinds out points like Crosby.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This was a non contact scrimmage, no one was going 100%, no point in back checking and sliding into the end boards. Basically and poor mans all star game

Yeah that's a given. I just wanted to see his skills and what he brings to the table. You knew he was good, but goodness, pond hockey or not it was still a treat to see just how high his skill is. The fact that he possesses top NHL speed, but has the hands to go with it at 18 years old is ridiculous. Throw in his vision which is compared to 'The Great One' and you can see why he is so talked about.

My question is this -- What current player has all 3? As in has high speed with the hands and the vision? Seems like players have one or the other or at the most, two of those. Crosby doesn't even have all 3 and he was a generational player. His skills are great hands and great vision. Speed? not so much.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
you got all of this from a pond hockey game?

it was a 4-on-4 No Hitter out there with 7 mins of 3-on-3 to end the game...with maybe 2 other prospects besides McDavid with a chance to make the team

slow your roll

I said if I only had this game to judge off of.

However, I HAVE seen McDavid play in other games and I've always found his defensive play pretty poor. Stop being so whiny, he has the most game breaking offense I've seen in years, and if the only complaint is that he's a little less than average at defense than I'd say he's off to a good start.

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
This x1000. I think he can overcome it. But he didn't impress me with his board play at the WJCs, definitely struggled against some of the bigger, stronger dman.

He's smart though, so I don't think it will be a huge issue.

Were we watching the same tournament? I can't remember a single instance where he had his back to defenders along the boards and he got bowled over and lost possession of the puck. Not one. In fact, I remember quite clearly that game against Denmark when he pulled off a Pat Kane-esque pivot from behind the net to roll off the defenders and create a scoring chance by attempting to jam it home on the Danish goalie. Ray Ferraro was singing his praises for a full 5 minutes afterward. :laugh:

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I said if I only had this game to judge off of.

However, I HAVE seen McDavid play in other games and I've always found his defensive play pretty poor. Stop being so whiny, he has the most game breaking offense I've seen in years, and if the only complaint is that he's a little less than average at defense than I'd say he's off to a good start.

His ability to strip players of the puck while they're at top flight is Datsyukian, so he's at least contributing to try and prevent goals against in that sense.

Besides, I think his 200-ft. game is ahead of Crosby's ten years back. Even at the WJCs there were replays of some of his epic backchecks.

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah that's a given. I just wanted to see his skills and what he brings to the table. You knew he was good, but goodness, pond hockey or not it was still a treat to see just how high his skill is. The fact that he possesses top NHL speed, but has the hands to go with it at 18 years old is ridiculous. Throw in his vision which is compared to 'The Great One' and you can see why he is so talked about.

My question is this -- What current player has all 3? As in has high speed with the hands and the vision? Seems like players have one or the other or at the most, two of those. Crosby doesn't even have all 3 and he was a generational player. His skills are great hands and great vision. Speed? not so much.

Crosby was an excellent skater before that freak injury in his fourth or fifth season IIRC.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Were we watching the same tournament? I can't remember a single instance where he had his back to defenders along the boards and he got bowled over and lost possession of the puck. Not one. In fact, I remember quite clearly that game against Denmark when he pulled off a Pat Kane-esque pivot from behind the net to roll off the defenders and create a scoring chance by attempting to jam it home on the Danish goalie. Ray Ferraro was singing his praises for a full 5 minutes afterward. :laugh:

There were a handful of instances where he was muscled off the puck. For real.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Got to watch McDavid play live for 4 days straight... front row... for free... I am a lucky man.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, the problem for McDavid is he was moving at a completely different speed and pace than anyone else. He'll look even better when he is playing with better talent.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Yeah, the problem for McDavid is he was moving at a completely different speed and pace than anyone else. He'll look even better when he is playing with better talent.

Can't wait to see him alongside one or both of Eberle and Hall.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Huh? Crosby does have great speed.

Crosby also is completely capable of creating offense on the rush. I mean seriously guys. The reason Crosby is known for his strength down low is because that is where the NHL game is played and why is a generational talent that can play down low like a grinder. That's what will likely put him ahead of McDavid when someone compares their careers on day.

McDavid creates a lot of offense on the rush and cutting to the middle. That won't work in the NHL. As such, he will likely make changes to his game to better play the NHL style.

McDavid looks amazing, but we can't start rewriting facts with BS to paint him as a more skilled player than Crosby.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Huh? Crosby does have great speed.

Crosby also is completely capable of creating offense on the rush. I mean seriously guys. The reason Crosby is known for his strength down low is because that is where the NHL game is played and why is a generational talent that can play down low like a grinder. That's what will likely put him ahead of McDavid when someone compares their careers on day.

McDavid creates a lot of offense on the rush and cutting to the middle. That won't work in the NHL. As such, he will likely make changes to his game to better play the NHL style.

McDavid looks amazing, but we can't start rewriting facts with BS to paint him as a more skilled player than Crosby.

Interesting.

Gretzky changed the game and forced it to adapt to him.

Crosby adapted to the game.

Is Crosby truly Generational?

Will McDavid change the game and force it to adapt to him?

Aceonfire*

Interesting.

Gretzky changed the game and forced it to adapt to him.

Crosby adapted to the game.

Is Crosby truly Generational?

Will McDavid change the game and force it to adapt to him?

Not just McDavid but players like him already are changing the game.

D have to be mobile now or they are useless. Guys like Smid are going they way of the enforcer now.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not just McDavid but players like him already are changing the game.

D have to be mobile now or they are useless. Guys like Smid are going they way of the enforcer now.

They changed the rules to eliminate fighters and clutch and grab. Teams and players adapted to these changes in the game.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
[nhl]831854[/nhl]

Some really nifty goals from McDavid !! I really can't wait to watch him play in his 1st NHL game against the Blues :popcorn: !!

From what I saw in the video, he had a couple moments where he got caught in the defensive zone but It might have just been that he wasn't really trying 100%. I guess he can always improve his defensive game if it needs a bit of tuning up.

Do fans, who were able to watch him before he was drafted, know if he is known to be a good 2 way player or is he solely known for his offensive skill set ?

Players with big offensive potential do tend to be a little weak on the defensive side of the game : Ovechkin, Mackinnon.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
yeah, let's pump the brakes a little bit. Wait until he, or any of the other young prospects do this during preseason, or the first few games. Just looking at the "highlights," the game was a glorified all-star game. Fun fan event for sure, but I wouldn't read anything from the stats alone.

[nhl]831854[/nhl]

He looks angry every time he scores. Like he feels bad for embarrassing these NHL hopefuls chances of making the dream come true. There's no sport in hunting a caged animal so to speak.. lol

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Some really nifty goals from McDavid !! I really can't wait to watch him play in his 1st NHL game against the Blues :popcorn: !!

From what I saw in the video, he had a couple moments where he got caught in the defensive zone but It might have just been that he wasn't really trying 100%. I guess he can always improve his defensive game if it needs a bit of tuning up.

Do fans, who were able to watch him before he was drafted, know if he is known to be a good 2 way player or is he solely known for his offensive skill set ?

Players with big offensive potential do tend to be a little weak on the defensive side of the game : Ovechkin, Mackinnon.

he was definitely playing at half speed on the back check, as were most of the players. You'd see him just give a little love tap to the players far side on the rush instead of going for the puck or speeding up.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

His defensive play will come. McDavid has the mentality to be the best. I see him being a very good two-way player sooner rather than later. All 18 year olds, even those with a nice defensive game, will struggle to play defense in the NHL. With his skating and mindset, he will be more than fine.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
He looks angry every time he scores. Like he feels bad for embarrassing these NHL hopefuls chances of making the dream come true. There's no sport in hunting a caged animal so to speak.. lol

Somebody in another thread pondered that it was because every time a defender or goalie doesn't hit or poke check him they rob him of the even more elaborate highlight reel goal he had planned in his mind.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
he was definitely playing at half speed on the back check, as were most of the players. You'd see him just give a little love tap to the players far side on the rush instead of going for the puck or speeding up.

There was a funny moment when he and Nurse were both caught up ice and an opposing forward was coming in for a breakaway. Nurse started to hustle back a bit and McDavid just pushed him forward with his stick for a boost :laugh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad