C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
How did he manage to gain weight during the season? I was under the impression that every player lost weight through the season. He'd have to eat like 2 whole chickens and a gallon of milk a day.

Horvat lived up to the pre-series hype (once you cut out the "should be nominated for the calder" hyperbole) and is looking like the kind of stud you build a team around.

e: I see I have been ninja edited, well played, sir. Holy crap, he must have been having brown rice nightmares, that is crazy.

He didn't do carbs all summer when he went down from 225 to 215 between summer prospects camp and training camp and then started eating carbs during the season. Dude has crazy genes regardless to be 6'0 220lbs as a 20 year old.

flamesforcup*

Give it time and this statement will look silly. Fairly confident that Galchenyuk will become the better NHL. Both great but Alex is in a tier just ahead of Monahan

i think even horvat is ahead of galchenyuk. galchenyek isnt even good enough to play centre on his own team :laugh:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Best player on the ice not named Sedin for the Canucks last night. Looked really good, Nucks got a player here.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan100a good comparable being Toews.

Let's be realistic .

true, he does have potential to be as good, but right now he's pretty similar to Ryan Johansen, though i do believe he does have slightly higher potential. Expect him to put up 50 pts-55pts or so next year IF Willie gives him that 2nd line role or 3rd line with PP.

The last half of the season, Horvat was at a 37-40 pt point pace, playing 12-14 minuets a night

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
true, he does have potential to be as good, but right now he's pretty similar to Ryan Johansen, though i do believe he does have slightly higher potential. Expect him to put up 50 pts-55pts or so next year IF Willie gives him that 2nd line role or 3rd line with PP

Higher potential then Johansen? That may be reaching Johansen is a bonafide #1C who scored 30 goals last year, and put up 70 points this year..

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He hit the weight room almost every day after he made the Canucks. He probably never worked out with weights before. A daily workout for someone who never did weights before can easily add 10-20 pounds of muscle in a month without bulking up.

People don't realize how much impact that can make, especially at the 18-20 year old age. It still baffles me how many amateur hockey players don't do any weight training, especially went it can have such a huge impact. I wish it would be something that more young players would do.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Higher potential then Johansen? That may be reaching Johansen is a bonafide #1C who scored 30 goals last year, and put up 70 points this year..

higher potential, as in better faceoff and defensive player than Johansen while putting up around the same amount of points

BoHo Bangins

Mar 8, 2015
Not sure how that is so ridiculous? Because he said higher than Johansen?

Horvat scored more points than Johansen in his rookie season at the same age (4 more in 1 more gp) from the 4th line. Not sure what line Johansen started on or his icetime?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Not sure how that is so ridiculous? Because he said higher than Johansen?

Horvat scored more points than Johansen in his rookie season at the same age (4 more in 1 more gp) from the 4th line. Not sure what line Johansen started on or his icetime?

His exact words were "right now he's pretty similar to Ryan Johansen". Not even close. Horvat was great in the Calgary series but not better than Johansen in any aspect right now.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
but right now he's pretty similar to Ryan Johansen, though i do believe he does have slightly higher potential.

This is where Bo Horvat enters the most overrated prospect discussion.

Similar to Johansen? people are saying how great Horvat was in the playoff, at the end he had less point than Monahan. And we all know Monahan had half the series off.

Monahan is not even in Johansen class yet.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He hit the weight room almost every day after he made the Canucks. He probably never worked out with weights before. A daily workout for someone who never did weights before can easily add 10-20 pounds of muscle in a month without bulking up.
This is hilariously false. First 3 months you may add 6 pounds of muscle and another 6 over the remaining 9 months.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
This is hilariously false. First 3 months you may add 6 pounds of muscle and another 6 over the remaining 9 months.

Yeah, 10 lbs of muscle (25 lbs total) in 3 months is more or less the ceiling for a rookie lifter, and that would be doing a pure strength training program and spending all your free time eating. To mix those kinds of gains in with hockey training seems banana's, when are your muscles supposed to recover?

He didn't do carbs all summer when he went down from 225 to 215 between summer prospects camp and training camp and then started eating carbs during the season. Dude has crazy genes regardless to be 6'0 220lbs as a 20 year old.

This sounds a bit more reasonable.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
This is where Bo Horvat enters the most overrated prospect discussion.

Similar to Johansen? people are saying how great Horvat was in the playoff, at the end he had less point than Monahan. And we all know Monahan had half the series off.

Monahan is not even in Johansen class yet.

But but... Horvat is only 1 year older than 18 year old Sam Bennett :sarcasm:

Too be fair though, saying he could be even better than Johansen, right now, is just ridiculous. Way too early to make statements like that. Sure, you never know, i guess. But it's not realistic thinking that. Yeah Horvat was great in the playoffs, 4 points in 6 games averaging 12 minutes per game is pretty damn good, especially since a lot of the Canucks players didn't even bother to show up for the series. You could argue that he faced weaker opponents since he was playing on the 4th line, but i also think he could've been even better if he had better line-mates to play with.

It will be interesting to see him next season when he should be on the 3rd line (maybe even the 2nd line?) He was pretty much the "light in the dark" for the Canucks in the series against the Flames. Best player for the Canucks, together with the Sedins.

Again, way too early to compare him with Johansen and Monahan, 2 young proven 1st line-centers. Not too bold to say that he can be a great 2nd line center though.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
One person making a ridiculous statement should not represent how Canucks fans as a whole feel about Horvat. If he ever becomes nearly as good offensively as Johansen I for one will be ecstatic but I don't see it. They are two very different players and comparing the two is inane.

That said Canucks fans finally have a reason to be happy about a prospect in the NHL who is on the right trajectory and isn't a bratty **** with a whiny politician dad.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
One person making a ridiculous statement should not represent how Canucks fans as a whole feel about Horvat. If he ever becomes nearly as good offensively as Johansen I for one will be ecstatic but I don't see it. They are two very different players and comparing the two is inane.

That said Canucks fans finally have a reason to be happy about a prospect in the NHL who is on the right trajectory and isn't a bratty **** with a whiny politician dad.

I see him with the same offensive upside as Ryan Kesler

That's pretty good.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I see him with the same offensive upside as Ryan Kesler

That's pretty good.

Not really a good comparison. Kesler was a different type of player at that age and most people didn't think he had any offensive upside at all, just a good 3rd line center. I thought that was kind of bogus because he was keeping pace with the much greater hyped Mike Richards at the time, but the type of offensive game Kesler developed at the NHL was skating through players and shooting. At his best he scored 41 goals, but he was never really that great at distributing the puck and/or using his linemates.

Horvat has shown glimpses of that same 'do it yourself' style of skating as Kesler, but he's also able to use his linemates effectively. Kesler could score goals and shut down the opposition, but he was never the type of center that made his linemates better.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
But but... Horvat is only 1 year older than 18 year old Sam Bennett :sarcasm:

Too be fair though, saying he could be even better than Johansen, right now, is just ridiculous. Way too early to make statements like that. Sure, you never know, i guess. But it's not realistic thinking that. Yeah Horvat was great in the playoffs, 4 points in 6 games averaging 12 minutes per game is pretty damn good, especially since a lot of the Canucks players didn't even bother to show up for the series. You could argue that he faced weaker opponents since he was playing on the 4th line, but i also think he could've been even better if he had better line-mates to play with.

It will be interesting to see him next season when he should be on the 3rd line (maybe even the 2nd line?) He was pretty much the "light in the dark" for the Canucks in the series against the Flames. Best player for the Canucks, together with the Sedins.

Again, way too early to compare him with Johansen and Monahan, 2 young proven 1st line-centers. Not too bold to say that he can be a great 2nd line center though.

he was good enough to play on the second line long time ago. Willie Desjardins is quite stupid sometimes.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not really a good comparison. Kesler was a different type of player at that age and most people didn't think he had any offensive upside at all, just a good 3rd line center. I thought that was kind of bogus because he was keeping pace with the much greater hyped Mike Richards at the time, but the type of offensive game Kesler developed at the NHL was skating through players and shooting. At his best he scored 41 goals, but he was never really that great at distributing the puck and/or using his linemates.

Horvat has shown glimpses of that same 'do it yourself' style of skating as Kesler, but he's also able to use his linemates effectively. Kesler could score goals and shut down the opposition, but he was never the type of center that made his linemates better.

Yeah, not saying the same type of player.

Just saying Horvat's offensive upside is of a 2nd liner/tier similar to what Kesler's numbers

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

You can't add 10-20 pounds of muscle in a month period let alone without bulking

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You can't add 10-20 pounds of muscle in a month period let alone without bulking

I personally was able to add 15 lbs in 6 weeks of muscles, but yea I agree with you. It's hard to add 10-20 lbs in a month with all that hockey.

But for Bo's sake, he's probably better off at 200lbs.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
i think even horvat is ahead of galchenyuk. galchenyek isnt even good enough to play centre on his own team :laugh:

lolwut

Galchenyuk's best moment this year was when he was playing as the 1st line C, but then the stupid coach put him back as the 2nd line lw after a hat trick for David Desharnais. Galchenyuk could center the 4th line too lol what a stupid statement

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
he was good enough to play on the second line long time ago. Willie Desjardins is quite stupid sometimes.

Yeah i'd say he earned that. Clearly, Willie doesn't have the balls to juggle the lines too much even when you have nothing to lose. "You earn your ice-time" or "I want to know what i'm getting from my players" was all bs. However, we don't know how good Horvat would handle a role in the top6 right now. I don't think it matters too much anyways. He's still very young, so i think they should try and develop him carefully, taking 1 step at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad